Google "survey" pops up on fresh install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kuurgen
Level 1
Level 1

Google "survey" pops up on fresh install

Post by kuurgen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Long story short did a fresh install of the latest Linux Mint 10.10 Gnome.

I boot up firefox for the first time ever, and get a fake google survey offering me a chance to claim my very own mac airbook or equally tantalizing prize.
I'm a bit taken aback, but I suspect this is more an opt in where somebody gets so much for each successful form filled out.

Has anybody heard of anything like this happening? I was even sufficiently freaked out to check my Rogers SMC router to see if everything was normal. (it looks like it is)
(It crossed my mind while doing this that maybe having default master passes floating around for these smc routers isn't such a good idea, but I digress)

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Google "survey" pops up on fresh install

Post by monkeyboy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 pm

Has anybody heard of anything like this happening?

Not on regular Mint 10. Perhaps you got one of those mutant 10.10 releases, have you tried a layer of tinfoil. :lol:
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

kuurgen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuurgen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:31 am

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=70 (whatever version this is, 10 or 10.10 who knows)

Got it from the torrent file here.

Call me paranoid or whatever, but typing in http://www.google.com and getting an opt in survey right off the hop when the OS is 3 minutes old is not normal.
To be sure I reopened another tab type google.com again and got the same redirect.

I have used older versions of Linux Mint without these issues.
I have removed Linux Mint as even a simple warning that an opt in was included to support the distro would have been nice. (and it was indeed an opt in where somebody gets paid for me filling the thing out.)

The only other option is it's a redirect that occurs LEAVING http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php (my windows firefox has noscript up)

shrug I can't really be bothered to invest any more time trying to figure out how/why it occurred. I don't expect it on a new OS install, and if it was a redirect from the default Linux Mint homepage, I can't recreate it under windows with noscript turned off.

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:19 am

Dude I responded to your claim that you downloaded Mint 10.10 which doesn't exist and now you are going for "who knows" as cover. I suggest most folks know what they are putting on their computers.
Second you initially claimed
"I boot up firefox for the first time ever, and get a fake google survey offering me a chance to claim my very own mac airbook or equally tantalizing prize." Now we find out that it happens after you start to surf. Big difference, you do see the difference?

I have removed Linux Mint as even a simple warning that an opt in was included to support the distro would have been nice. (and it was indeed an opt in where somebody gets paid for me filling the thing out.)

The above is very typical of a "drive by quitting" where the poster shows up, complains and then says they are dumping the OS.

shrug I can't really be bothered to invest any more time trying to figure out how/why it occurred. I don't expect it on a new OS install, and if it was a redirect from the default Linux Mint homepage, I can't recreate it under windows with noscript turned off.

Like I said drive by.
Last edited by monkeyboy on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:21 am

1st rule you may want to add to your to-do lists whenever your download is finished (be it linux mint .iso file of any versions or any other distro) is to check the md5sum. if the md5 is not correct, then your file that you download might be the "mutant".
I boot up firefox for the first time ever, and get a fake google survey offering me a chance to claim my very own mac airbook or equally tantalizing prize.
I'm a bit taken aback, but I suspect this is more an opt in where somebody gets so much for each successful form filled out.
2ndly, perhaps you can attach the screenshots in the future if this kind of things happen, or else peoples might think you just try to trolling especially when i heard you "boot up" that firefox (??)..
Call me paranoid or whatever, but typing in http://www.google.com and getting an opt in survey right off the hop when the OS is 3 minutes old is not normal.
To be sure I reopened another tab type google.com again and got the same redirect.
reopen another tab inside the very SAME browser, to think it from logical point of view wont give any different isn't it? you can remove completely firefox either from synaptic or using terminal and then install it back, see if it is still the same? install chrome, chromium or any other browser and see how is it?
shrug I can't really be bothered to invest any more time trying to figure out how/why it occurred
But the fact is; you ARE investing your time post it here, isn't it? for what? :roll: :?:

kuurgen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuurgen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:32 am

monkeyboy wrote:Dude I responded to your claim that you downloaded Mint 10.10 which doesn't exist and now you are going for "who knows" as cover. I suggest most folks know what they are putting on their computers.

Sorry, I didn't have the exact version number memorized, I believe I read it as 10.10, but I provided you with the exact link. You being the expert in this situation, I figured you can discern what version it is.

Second you initially claimed
"I boot up firefox for the first time ever, and get a fake google survey offering me a chance to claim my very own mac airbook or equally tantalizing prize." Now we find out that it happens after you start to surf. Big difference, you do see the difference?
Let me give you exact steps, so that there's no confusion.
1. Opened firefox
2. got put on the default start page for linux mint
3. typed in google.com with the intention of setting it as my start page. Got redirect

monkeyboy wrote: The above is very typical of a "drive by quitting" where the poster shows up, complains and then says they are dumping the OS.

Actually I ran linux mint's older version and was quite happy with it, so when i returned to Linux, obviously I wanted to return to Linux Mint.

Like I said drive by.
Yeah, especially when you mention tinfoil hats.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:41 am

Mint does indeed have its own custom Google search as the default home page (as does Ubuntu and probably other distros). These a big revenue generators and keep the distro going. However, the survey thing is odd and certainly nothing that is included with Mint. What does Mint gain if you buy a Mac?

kuurgen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuurgen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:52 am

feed3 wrote:
1st rule you may want to add to your to-do lists whenever your download is finished (be it linux mint .iso file of any versions or any other distro) is to check the md5sum. if the md5 is not correct, then your file that you download might be the "mutant".
Fair enough, didn't think I'd need to coming off the official site.

2ndly, perhaps you can attach the screenshots in the future if this kind of things happen, or else peoples might think you just try to trolling especially when i heard you "boot up" that firefox (??)..

Yeah, I suppose I can boot you up a screenshot :) Sorry I equate boot with start sometimes.
reopen another tab inside the very SAME browser, to think it from logical point of view wont give any different isn't it? you can remove completely firefox either from synaptic or using terminal and then install it back, see if it is still the same? install chrome, chromium or any other browser and see how is it?

Granted, I could have done more troubleshooting, but this behavior was completely from left field, I was more surprised than anything else. I guess if I explained step by step what i did it would be agreed that this
is not normal behavior.
shrug I can't really be bothered to invest any more time trying to figure out how/why it occurred
But the fact is; you ARE investing your time post it here, isn't it? for what? :roll: :?:[/quote]

To be quite frank, I was annoyed with the tin foil hat reference in what is essentially a help section.
I presented my information in a fairly clear manner and clarified the points that I felt needed to be clarified.

Instead I get that I'm using a "who knows cover" confused?? The exact link where i got it from is there. If I mistakenly got the version numbers wrong, I'm sorry. Yes I will not make that mistake ever again.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:39 am

these;
1.png
1.png (1.91 KiB) Viewed 920 times
even from the official site for downloading. :) you seems to care so much for your security on the net yet you dont even care to calculate and compare your downloaded md5 :?: :?: am so confuse.. :?
Granted, I could have done more troubleshooting, but this behavior was completely from left field, I was more surprised than anything else. I guess if I explained step by step what i did it would be agreed that this
is not normal behavior.
yes, indeed it wasn't a normal behavior but how you put it as a words here in this forum which is essentially a help section also doesn't seems normal to us.
To be quite frank, I was annoyed with the tin foil hat reference in what is essentially a help section.
I presented my information in a fairly clear manner and clarified the points that I felt needed to be clarified.

Instead I get that I'm using a "who knows cover" ***?? The exact link where i got it from is there. If I mistakenly got the version numbers wrong, I'm sorry. Yes I will not make that mistake ever again.
to be honest, it doesn't sounds clear to me, sorry.. :) if you do some googling, you will know that it does happen to someone else out there who is using Win and to be sure, so far, i think it only happen to you for mint user. if it is from the mint devs for the sake of some little money
somebody gets paid for me filling the thing out
for sure it wont happen to you alone as mint user :?

it might happen to you for some reasons but i don't think it is because of mint devs. you should know this more as from your statement
. try use https://encrypted.google.com/ instead if you feel insecure so much then.. :) all in all, im a happy mint user, hope you happy minting also.. sorry if what i said seems harsh to you though.. just trying to help here.. :) cheers..

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:54 am

Still trying to figure things out. :) Maybe you can help, are the time stamps on your posts over at redflagdeals.com correct and do they jive with the time stamps on your messages here? Thanks

kuurgen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuurgen » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 am

feed3 wrote:
these;
1.png
even from the official site for downloading. :) you seems to care so much for your security on the net yet you dont even care to calculate and compare your downloaded md5 :?: :?: am so confuse.. :?

If it's a torrent you seeded, why would I do an md5 other to ensure the code is complete and not malicious? Sorry, I had no idea that the linux distro was such a hotbed for maliciously injected code, hence no md5 check. This will of course change, should i ever download anything like this again.

is not normal behavior.
yes, indeed it wasn't a normal behavior but how you put it as a words here in this forum which is essentially a help section also doesn't seems normal to us.

Let's see, i was asking if anybody had any experiences with this. That may sort of qualify for help.

Instead I get that I'm using a "who knows cover" ***?? The exact link where i got it from is there. If I mistakenly got the version numbers wrong, I'm sorry. Yes I will not make that mistake ever again.
to be honest, it doesn't sounds clear to me, sorry.. :) if you do some googling, you will know that it does happen to someone else out there who is using Win and to be sure, so far, i think it only happen to you for mint user. if it is from the mint devs for the sake of some little money
somebody gets paid for me filling the thing out
for sure it wont happen to you alone as mint user :?

What in specifically is not clear?
I could care less if the Linux mint distro teams makes money, what I care about is how I got redirected.

it might happen to you for some reasons but i don't think it is because of mint devs. you should know this more as from your statement
. try use https://encrypted.google.com/ instead if you feel insecure so much then.. :) all in all, im a happy mint user, hope you happy minting also.. sorry if what i said seems harsh to you though.. just trying to help here.. :) cheers..
Sorry, if you misconstrued my requests for help here and on RFD as an attack post.

And no, the timestamps are not correct, this occurred after I installed and I went to RFD first to get advice, and figured I'd just cut and past here as well to hopefully get an answer.

I have tried to recreate this running mint under virtualbox and have not had it happen again, the only variable being virtual machine/not virtual machine

So make of this as you will, because I cannot verify anything as to how I arrived at that page, I will "boot" up some forensic applications and spray my demarcation point with luminol.

Cheers.

FWIW, I now believe that I got redirected from the linux mint homepage and because I didn't have noscript installed I was presented with a deceptive opt in ad made to look like google.
Because this site is running all kinds of ads it's quite possible the ad got rotated in somehow?
I will mention my dns servers are set to google on my router.

Have a read here, which is what may have happened:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/applic ... ng-me.html

Anyways thanks again for your input.

LongRider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LongRider » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:36 am

Hey folks, this is a little strange. I clicked on the OP's link in his last post and I did get re-directed to some page that said I just won an Apple laptop!!! It started as a popup then redirected to another blank page.
Maybe there really is a poisoned DNS cache out there, either that or this was some elaborate set-up! I Never had a problem with redirects before but I also use "non-standard" DNS servers. Is it possible that the OP's ISP's dns servers have been compromised? Or maybe the ones for Linuxforums.org?
HP Pavillion DV7 laptop, AMD Turion X2/64, 250 GB HD, 4GB ram, Atheros AR5001 wifi, Cisco WRT54GS router, Buffalo Linkstation Quad 4TB NAS w/Raid 5, Dual Booting: LM9-64bit/Gnome + LMDE. Life is good!

Return to “Newbie Questions”