solved what do i do about this?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ds2992

solved what do i do about this?

Post by ds2992 »

So i noticed today that there were updates available for my OS LMDE. I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade yesterday. I thought thatwas what i needed to do to update my system. So my update manager tells me there are about 500 updates available.. I ran update manager to see whats up and I get an error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report

I dont understand the conflict between apt-get and the update manager.
I also typed in "sudo dpkg --configure -a "and nothing happened.
whaqts up with that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: what do i do about this?

Post by vincent »

If "sudo dpkg --configure -a" doesn't give you any output, that's a good thing, it means that either the errors have been fixed or no errors were found. Now, try the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
For a rolling release, use dist-upgrade as opposed to upgrade. There have been many threads lately relating to this...
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

ds2992 wrote:So i noticed today that there were updates available for my OS LMDE. I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade yesterday. I thought thatwas what i needed to do to update my system. So my update manager tells me there are about 500 updates available.. I ran update manager to see whats up and I get an error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report

I dont understand the conflict between apt-get and the update manager.
I also typed in "sudo dpkg --configure -a "and nothing happened.
whaqts up with that?
I had the message once when Mint Update crashed while installing some updates. Actually it just closed before it finished. When I ran the dpkg command given in a terminal however, it did finish the update. Did you type it in the terminal without quotes? Or with? It should be without. If you knew that and typed it accordingly, then never mind. :)
ds2992

Post by ds2992 »

so i corrected my error and typed the command properly. it did something gave me a lot of words and other stuff.
the problem im running into now with mint update is that i get an error

could not apply changes.
fix broken packages first.

im going to do the distro-upgrade now and see what happens. got this error.

N: Ignoring file 'opera.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

so in package manager i am installing upgrades a few at a time to find this elusive "broken package"
vincent

Post by vincent »

ds2992 wrote:E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
You cannot have Synaptic/mintUpdate/apt-get/aptitude/any other program that uses APT open and running at the same time; if you are running a dist-upgrade from the command line, you cannot use Synaptic. If you have Synaptic open, you can't run dist-upgrade from the command line. Do one or the other, but not both at the same time.
ds2992

Post by ds2992 »

so i broke up the download of the upgrades and all of the packages updated. what i think happened was apt is unable to download and install that amount of packages at one time.

Return to “LMDE Archive”