What's with the hate for Gnome Shell? Give it a chance!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
t3g

What's with the hate for Gnome Shell? Give it a chance!

Post by t3g »

I was just reading http://www.muktware.com/news/23/2011/85 ... me-shell-3 about the code frozen for Gnome Shell 3 and it looks pretty impressive and a nice alternative to Unity. I know there are a lot of traditional Gnome purists here, but it is very good looking. Its a shame the main team won't give it a chance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
autocrosser

Re: What's with the hate for Gnome Shell? Give it a chance!

Post by autocrosser »

There are those of us that are testing Gnome3/GS right now.....Check out my thread on Gnome3/GS.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

t3g wrote:I know there are a lot of traditional Gnome purists here, but it is very good looking. Its a shame the main team won't give it a chance.
I do not think it is a matter of purism which is holding the Mint team back. Something I recently read makes me think that it is just to let the dust settle with Gnome 3, Gnome Shell and Unity that is delaying adoption of the latter two by Mint. I did read that Gnome Shell will be available in the repos. Unity will probably be there also.
Dr.m0x

Post by Dr.m0x »

The problem I have with gnome shell is that I find it much harder to do stuff. I have become accustomed to interacting with the desktop in a certain way and every gui I have previously used is quite similar. This includes windows, gnome and kde. While each has differences the overall feel of the interaction is similar. Gnome shell its just weird and I struggle to use it effectively. It's been dumbed down a mite too much. I'd run it on my netbook but not on a more serious machine.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

I also don't think hate is the right word. For example I run a fedora 15 alpha partition which I boot pretty much daily and play around with for a while.
It's just that for many, including me, gnome3 tipoped the ease of use vs efficiency scale a bit too far. It's almost as if it was made for kids and grannies. Everyone can do pretty much everything within a minute after seeing it for the first time. The downside is that regular computer users need a lot more clicks and mouse movement to get their stuff done.

Grented: It's fun. But only for so long before you miss for example a task-bar.
anzan

Post by anzan »

I do not hate Shell or Unity.

I loathe and despise them.

I primarily use keybindings and GNOME Do to get things done. I cannot waste time pretending that pictures represent meaningful points in space and direct a picture precisely at those points with a mouse unless there's a good reason to.

I have a workspace switcher in my panel which I very rarely click on. It's just a visual aid to tell me which workspace I am in. I do not need the workspace switcher to take over my desktop and stop my workflow, which is basically what Shell and Unity both do.

I have windows maximized where I need them that way, others aligned when I need them that way.

I left Ubuntu for Debian and GNOME for Xfce, as have many and as many more will.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

gotjazz wrote:It's just that for many, including me, gnome3 tipoped the ease of use vs efficiency scale a bit too far. It's almost as if it was made for kids and grannies. Everyone can do pretty much everything within a minute after seeing it for the first time. The downside is that regular computer users need a lot more clicks and mouse movement to get their stuff done.

Grented: It's fun. But only for so long before you miss for example a task-bar.
I don't disagree with you but I don't thinks it's a kids and granny thing, I think it's a tablet thing. The strategy might work for gnome as the number of desktops diminish.

Tablets are for content consumption - desktops are for content creation.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

I do kind of miss the maximize button (and the taskbar - I LOOOOOVE DockBar), but so far I get by. It takes longer to load than Gnome 2, but I have to say it's a lot more responsive. The biggest 'but' is Compiz, transparencies, and focus, though - I really like to use it to, say, read something on the internet/Firefox, move in a terminal (since my screen is too small for putting the windows side-by-side), and move the mouse back and forth to enter more and more from some tutorial or whatever into the terminal until I have all of the command(s) there (so I prefer to enter commands manually rather than copy/paste). Can't do that with Gnome Shell... Yet, at least. Good thing the task-switching is so snappy.

I readily confess I'm no power-user. I'm looking forward to the finished product, but I really want to see some appearance settings-module before I celebrate.
anzan

Post by anzan »

Sure, Unity and Shell might be fine for tablets and I'd buy one with either installed.

But at this point Unity doesn't work with the virtual keyboard let alone show any sign of working on tablets, smartphones, etc.

All they do is break the desktop.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

I posted this last October and it still works for me. :D

Every time there has been a significant change in GNOME there has been an accompanying cacophony of complaints. Not so surprisingly its still here doing a fine job and and moving forward to a new version. My guess is a few years down the road we will likely hear another chorus of complaints when the next release version is on the horizon. IMHO
xircon

Post by xircon »

Runs fine on my cheapo netbook, wish I could get it to run on my CoreI5 ATI based laptop :(
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The more automation or simplifying functions for a naive (beginning) user that any desktop attempts, just makes it more and more difficult for a regular user
  • One who is willing to learn some key combination
    --as the keyboard is quicker than the mouse for most things (even though you do have to memorize them)
And I agree, that Ubuntu and Gnome are aiming for the small/mobile device generation (twitters or texting users)
--as well that the division is
  • Desktop is for productivity applications
    --such as DB, word processing, spreadsheets and content creation (audio/video) files
  • Mobile/tablet (such as IPad or the original tablets with a separate keyboard, that is netbooks
    Is for content consumption, and small amounts of application support
    email, web browsing, and some low powered games..
t3g

Post by t3g »

gotjazz wrote: It's just that for many, including me, gnome3 tipoped the ease of use vs efficiency scale a bit too far. It's almost as if it was made for kids and grannies. Everyone can do pretty much everything within a minute after seeing it for the first time. The downside is that regular computer users need a lot more clicks and mouse movement to get their stuff done.
Hey, if Gnome Shell and Unity make it easier for non tech savvy people to navigate around Linux, how can that hurt? For the power users that like the way things are and what they are used to all these years, they can always go back or try one of the 350 distros out there. All the time I think about how an easier to navigate Linux can help family members of mine so I can finally wipe away the Windows XP partition. How about if I am a business owner who wants a free operating system that is not tied to a Microsoft license that people of various backgrounds can pick up and get to work.

Some people are saying Unity could be the beginning of the end for Ubuntu, yet some see it as a much needed evolution of the desktop.

Oh and one last thing, some people are already getting Gnome Shell to look pretty like the theme here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/gnom ... beautiful/
anzan

Post by anzan »

monkeyboy wrote:I posted this last October and it still works for me. :D

Every time there has been a significant change in GNOME there has been an accompanying cacophony of complaints. Not so surprisingly its still here doing a fine job and and moving forward to a new version. My guess is a few years down the road we will likely hear another chorus of complaints when the next release version is on the horizon. IMHO
Both GNOME 1 and initial versions of 2 basically looked like GNUstep crossed with Windows. The differences were great in terms of loss of options. But the fundamental paradigm did not change.

Shell beaks the desktop.

Again, probably fine for touch-screen tablets.

Terrible for desktops/laptops (and also netbooks in my experiences with my Eee).
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

anzan wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:I posted this last October and it still works for me. :D

Both GNOME 1 and initial versions of 2 basically looked like GNUstep crossed with Windows. The differences were great in terms of loss of options. But the fundamental paradigm did not change.

Shell beaks the desktop.

Again, probably fine for touch-screen tablets.

Terrible for desktops/laptops (and also netbooks in my experiences with my Eee).
Well then we will just have to wait and see what happens. My bet is after GNOME Shell is released that the sun will rise, birds will sing and most of us will still be using our computers. Enjoy
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I have tried out Gnome Shell on the Fedora test day yesterday (actually, I did the tests 1 day too early). What I miss is the panel. With more than 4 programs open, I started confusing my windows and needed some time to look which one I actually wanted to open. Also, I don't like the extra mouse moves needed. With a normal mouse this isn't a real problem but with a touchpad I only want 1 thing and that's a panel/taskbar.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
anzan

Post by anzan »

monkeyboy wrote:Well then we will just have to wait and see what happens. My bet is after GNOME Shell is released that the sun will rise, birds will sing and most of us will still be using our computers. Enjoy
Agreed indeed. And for those who enjoy GNOME Shell, blessings be upon them.

I'll miss GNOME but still donate to the Foundation and support the great GTK apps I enjoy like Evince and GNOME Mplayer and so on.
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

anzan wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:Well then we will just have to wait and see what happens. My bet is after GNOME Shell is released that the sun will rise, birds will sing and most of us will still be using our computers. Enjoy
Agreed indeed. And for those who enjoy GNOME Shell, blessings be upon them.

I'll miss GNOME but still donate to the Foundation and support the great GTK apps I enjoy like Evince and GNOME Mplayer and so on.
You can still have GNOME with the regular interface, just because GNOME Shell is "out there", doesn't mean you should run away from GNOME :D
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I saw this and it makes me glad I use Xfce

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3.html
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

jeffreyC wrote:I saw this and it makes me glad I use Xfce

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3.html
What do you think of his conclusion? I am willing to switch to Gnome 3, but I have some of the same reservations re: right click, multiple windows in focus, etc.
Don't mistake conservative for inefficient. I just want my efficiency. Can you promise that? If not, then we shall have to part ways. Unfortunately, Gnome 3 does not have what it takes to be my desktop. And so we say goodbye. For now. Linux Mint, let's hope you can deliver. Like Princess Leia says: Help me, Linux Mint, you're my only hope.

Return to “LMDE Archive”