error on install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rober7

error on install

Post by rober7 »

i install Linux Mind XFCE an di get this error ...

Code: Select all

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.
i install from USB stick not from CD/DVD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: error on install

Post by richyrich »

[Errno 5] Input/output error
Well . . it's either the files, or the hardware !

Did you check integrity of the downloaded ISO file before you installed it on your USB ?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65451

How did you make the Mint boot drive ? from Windows ?
anima

Post by anima »

I am getting the same result when trying to install linux mint gnome amd64 version. I have downloaded and re-downloaded (MD5s all check out OK), I have burnt and re-burnt discs, I have used unetbootin and made a bootable flash drive. No matter what I do, I get the errno 5 error while the files are copying. I'm thinking it's not hardware or disk, but software.

Current system
Asus M3A78-EM motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 620 (quad core 2.60ghz)
Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 512mg
Hitachi 1tb 7200 SATA HD (this is the boot disc - Win7/64 on SDA1, 150 gb Logical partition (SDA5) for Mint with 10gb swap)
WD 500gb 5400 SATA HD (old Win7/32 disc)
4 gb RAM

Jeff
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Hi there,

I didn't see the original post in this thread, so have no idea whether he managed to sort his problem out or not. For future reference, you would be better off creating your own thread - many people here will only look at 'newly-opened' threads unless they're actively involved in an existing one - especially if you are doing so a week down the line.

Anyway, as a starter, can you please boot from the Live image, open a terminal window and enter the following commands. Post the resulting output here in text format;-
$ sudo lspci
$ sudo fdisk -l
$ sudo parted -l print
anima

Post by anima »

That's funny, on most forums the trolls will yell at you for posting a new thread and not searching the forums first. :mrgreen:

I won't be home again for several days, so it'll be few days before I can post the info. :(

I've never had any problems installing Mint (or ubuntu) for that matter in the past, so this one really stumps me.

Jeff

Return to “Installation & Boot”