[lxde]what makes mint LXDE faster?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
godsotherhand

[lxde]what makes mint LXDE faster?

Post by godsotherhand »

well i originally had mint 10 and now switched to linux mint LXDE.
and i noticed that the same game got a boost in fps from 20 to 60+.
Could any1 tell me why did i get such a boost? what's so different between lxde and mint 10?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: what makes mint LXDE faster?

Post by ThistleWeb »

LXDE is a much lighter weight Desktop Environment than Gnome. This means it uses a lot less resources to idle, less RAM, less CPU etc. The difference can be that on older hardware Gnome runs VERY slow, if at all, or on modern hardware LXDE flies noticeably faster and more snappy. It's a combination of the environment, it's services and applications. LXDE was designed to be light.
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

but do u loose some functions when switching to the LXDE mint?
Except visual effects and stuff like that.
also, software compatible with the normal version will be compatible with LXDE, right?
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Every environment is different in what it includes or doesn't include, sometimes things are more manual than automatic daemons constantly running on the off chance you may need them. All of the software will work just fine. You can install things like Nautilus and Firefox in LXDE if you like. Keep in mind though that the LXDE suite of applications are chosen to be light, so the more you bloat that, the less the advantage will be. If you're using Nautilus, remember to set it to run with the --no-desktop flag or it will give the Gnome right click menu on the desktop.

For most general users any of the environments will have enough for them. It's all about what you expect, what you like control over and what you could happily leave as the default choices.
Hezy

Post by Hezy »

It's true that LXDE is lighter than Gnome, but an improvement of x3 in fps is too big to be explained by that alone. My guess is that you had compiz turned on in Gnome. Compiz uses a big chunk of the computing power of the display hardware. If you turned compiz off in Gnome, I believe that the fps could have been much closer to what you see in LXDE.
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

does turning all visual effects off in mint stops compiz? cus when i had no visual effects i couldnt even watch a movie (getting fps of 1 or 2), only with the visual effects turned on could i watch movies at normal fps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”