I Need Help with SAMBA

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

I Need Help with SAMBA

Post by plowran »

OK Everyone;
I'm a 15 year N00B, I am in desperate need of help to get SAMBA working...
I have been having issues with LM based on Ubuntu for some time now(Kept getting ERRNO5) so I switched to LMDE and it's awesome!
I try to create a share but when I do it keeps telling me I dont have the permissions or something like that, I couldn't tell you off hand my HDD in my server just took a shit and im working on it.
I need help getting LMDE set up with SAMBA so I can get the other PCs in my house and all my XBOX's (Set up with XBMC) so that I can stream all my media.
I know this is a stupid question but I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Phil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I Need Help with SAMBA

Post by altair4 »

There are some preliminary steps to get Samba on LMDE working.
From Simple File Sharing in Mint: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169
For those of you that have installed Mint Debian you have probably noticed that Nautilus-share does not work. There are a few more steps required:

Step 1: "Guest Access" option is disabled by default. To enable it:

Open smb.conf as root:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Add the following lines to the [global] section:

usershare allow guests = yes

map to guest = Bad user
And restart samba:

sudo service samba restart
Step 2: You do not have permissions to create a usershare because you are not included in the correct group.

sudo gpasswd -a your_user_name sambashare
Step 3: Add samba client packages

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
sudo apt-get install libsmbclient
sudo apt-get install smbclient
sudo apt-get install python-smbc
Then add yourself to the fuse group:

sudo gpasswd -a your-user-name fuse
Step 4: Logoff and Login again for all the group changes to take affect
BTW:
I know this is a stupid question but I would appreciate it.
No questions concerning Samba are stupid. Samba was originally designed for UNIX servers 20 years ago. It's a miracle that mere mortals are able to get it to work on their home desktops :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by plowran »

As Soon as i get my Server Functional again I will try this
Thanks
Phil!
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I created a Samba Home File Server howto a while back when it was running on Mint-5. It is a little dated but the instructions should still work. I basically use the same setup on Ubuntu 10.04 now. The only thing that I do not do now is use the Samba GUI config app.

http://www.kwdesign-consulting.com/File ... How-To.zip
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just as a note on the HowTo offered by kwisher. You will need to make the following modifications to the smb.conf suggested in order to allow guest shares:

To the global section add the following lines:

map to guest = Bad User

usershare allow guests = yes
The first line is necessary to convert a remote unauthenticated user to the "guest account". Without that line the default "hard coded" samba option of "map to guest = Never" prevails and all guest access will be rejected.

The second line enables the "Guest Access" box in Usershare. Samba Usershare allows a user to create a samba share from Nautilus with a right click. Without that line the "Guest access" box is grayed out.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

altair4,

Thanks for the tip, I was not aware of that since I do not use guest shares on my network. If I get time I plan on updating my How-To to reflect the current version of Mint. I will also add your suggestion for guest shares.

Return to “LMDE Archive”