Getting confident. Where to go from here?

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anarkii

Getting confident. Where to go from here?

Post by anarkii »

Hey all.

I started using Linux Mint a week and a half ago, dualbooting on my macbook. Haven't used OSx since (well i played minecraft in it, because of FPS reasons). Mint has become my go to OS and i'm really enjoying it. Had a few hiccups initially with my headphones but got that solved and it was pretty much smooth sailing from there on out.

At the moment i feel pretty confident using Linux. I understand most of its basic concepts how ownership and groups work, users and root and all that stuff. I practised in Terminal and find myself slipping in and out of there very regularly. I liberally use Ctrl-R to quickly snap to long commands i'd had previously written as well as the up and down keys and ofcourse Tab.

I've even tried some C++ and Java writing in Nano, and compiled my first HelloWorld and some other very basic stuff. Now i use Geany to learn myself some more.

Installing is *mostly* a painless affair. Uninstalling is still a bit more baroque affair to me, as im constantly afraid im leaving files behind all over the place. :wink:

I set up Conky copied and edited some script to get something that will do for now. (i got a digital looking clock! 8) )

At this point. im feeling both impressed and getting at ease with using Mint and linux way of things. Im at that point where im noticing im developing little routines and ways of navigating that work for me. The initial "system shock" has mostly subsided.

Now where would i go from here. I know im standing at the foot of a huge mountain. I just learned to climb but where to go now?

also the whole idea of linux and open source has taken hold of me so deeply.
Id like to find communities that share these ideas. Open source OS, Open source movies, open source music, DIY ethics, autonomy and freedom and so on.

any suggestions ? places on the web you think i might find of interests? or perhaps just a hello? :wink:

thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Getting confident. Where to go from here?

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Mint Forums.

I have put together a nice big 'Sticky' topic thread, answering the very question you have asked.

Linux: Tricks of the Trade > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355

Tried to compile/include most everything you may want to know about Linux. Have fun. :D
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello anarkii,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Welcome to the FOSS / Linux / Mint community. I kinda see it as a little boat on the beach. To start with everything is strange and new, as you gradually move away from the beach you meet others on their journey, we all learn from each other which sparks us to go off and explore new paths, which in turn leads us to meet other new people. We're all little boats on the same sea. The more you embrace it, the more you enjoy the journey, and before you know where you are, you're encouraging and helping others starting theirs standing on the beach contemplating a life on the sea.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”