Wine EXE issue SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David-C

Wine EXE issue SOLVED

Post by David-C »

Hello. I have just updated my 10.10 edition of Linux mint. Thereafter I installed Wine. However, I am having several issues with it. When I try to load windows EXE files it gives me the following error message:

The file '/media/Local Disk/ZIP/PC/Example.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

I honestly can't make heads or tails of what I have to do in order to give permission for EXE files. I have tried going into the EXE files properties and tick the permission, but it just automatically unticks itself straight away. No EXE file seems to associate itself with Wiine or the Wine icon either, despite me having set it to do so in the EXE's properties. This is the case with every Windows executable. I have never had this issue with previous Linux distros or Wine. Any "newbie" help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wine EXE issue

Post by altair4 »

The problem isn't wine it's something called "cautious-launcher".

Give this a shot:

Right click on an *.exe file
Then select Properties -> Open With -> Add -> Use a custom command > Then type in: wine
Back in the "Open With" tab mark the "wine" you just added as the default.

There's going to be another wine in that tab but that one has cautious-launcher embedded in it. Yours will not.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
David-C

Re: Wine EXE issue

Post by David-C »

altair4 wrote:The problem isn't wine it's something called "cautious-launcher".

Give this a shot:

Right click on an *.exe file
Then select Properties -> Open With -> Add -> Use a custom command > Then type in: wine
Back in the "Open With" tab mark the "wine" you just added as the default.

There's going to be another wine in that tab but that one has cautious-launcher embedded in it. Yours will not.
Many thanks. I have followed this and it has solved the issue.
yozsa

Re: Wine EXE issue SOLVED

Post by yozsa »

Hi
This is my original post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=88186

I tried what you said but when I come to open with it doesnt let me to select add without selecting any other programe
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Things have changed in recent versions of Ubuntu / Gnome.

Open Nautilus as root:

Code: Select all

gksu nautilus /usr/share/applications
Look for the wine program loader then Right Click > select Properties

In the "Command" box change this:

cautious-launcher %f wine start /unix
to this:

wine start /unix
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Ronjoe

Post by Ronjoe »

As an additional note, I'd like to point out that Linux file attributes don't work in an NTFS filesystem. You should try ticking the executable box after moving it to Linux's filesystem.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Ronjoe wrote:As an additional note, I'd like to point out that Linux file attributes don't work in an NTFS filesystem. You should try ticking the executable box after moving it to Linux's filesystem.
The thing is that wine does not care or is even capable of determining whether a given file has a Linux executable bit set. Ubuntu created "cautious-launcher" that checks because they forgot that this is Linux and the user will always find a way around this sort of thing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”