Splash Screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nathan S

Splash Screen

Post by Nathan S »

Hi, I installed the Linux Mint 10 Julia recently and I don't know how to change the splash screen? Can someone please help me with this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Splash Screen

Post by mads »

Hi!
Plainly explained here: GRUB 2 Splash Images
Nathan S

Post by Nathan S »

Yeah it's a good explanation but, I've just downloaded .tar.gz splash screen package, it's there a easy way to install it?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

What 'Splash Screen' are you talking about? And what package exactly have you downloaded?
Nathan S

Post by Nathan S »

I downloaded the gdm splash screen package named GdewM from the site http://www.linuxmint-art.org
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

If you read the comments on the bottom of the screen where you downloaded that from you'll see this comment;-
"I'm sorry but this is only for Linux Mint 7 or earlier due to upstream changes."
Nathan S

Post by Nathan S »

Yeah I saw the message, thanks. Can you recommend me some gdm splash screen package that works in LM 10?
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

A useful web-page for instructions on customising Ubuntu (same applies to Mint) is;-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuEyeCandy

Changing the Gnome Splash Screen
Install 'gnome-splashscreen-manager'. Start it by selecting System → Preferences → Splash Screen.
Install new splash screens with the 'Install' button by navigating to the file you want to use for your splash.

You've already found one good site for customising themes etc;-
http://gnome-look.org/
Also try;-
http://art.gnome.org/
Nathan S

Post by Nathan S »

Thank you, very useful info.
Jix

Post by Jix »

The Splash thing really needs to be fixed. I know it's not a error but there needs to be a built-in option. PCLinuxOS lets you pick the boot menu screen and time it's on before installing the OS. A similar option for the splash screen (as well as the boot menu) should be available on Mint too.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

There's another forum on this board called "Suggestions & New Ideas". It's there for precisely this purpose. The splash screen doesn't really matter to me, but it does to you and others, so shove it on there and it'll be taken on board for future versions.
mads

Post by mads »

SimonTS wrote:There's another forum on this board called "Suggestions & New Ideas". It's there for precisely this purpose. The splash screen doesn't really matter to me, but it does to you and others, so shove it on there and it'll be taken on board for future versions.
True, but right now he is saying:
Nathan S wrote:Hi, I installed the Linux Mint 10 Julia recently and I don't know how to change the splash screen? Can someone please help me with this?
A good solid simple and plain step to step guide perfectly suited for newbies would be the Thing.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Sorry, My reply about the other forum was aimed at Jix. I've given Nathan a couple of links which should give him all the help he needs to get going. There are plenty of guides out there for customising Mint / Ubuntu already I feel without writing more, but if you want to then feel free - maybe one aimed at Mint specifically, covering Grub/Burg, GDM, Desktop etc all in one would be a good idea.
Jix

Post by Jix »

SimonTS wrote:Sorry, My reply about the other forum was aimed at Jix.
Heh, ya, I think the development team knows about the splash screen thing. No "suggestions" needed. Now it's a matter of repeating and diversifying the message so the Mint team can decide if adding a menu is worth the time and effort. If enough people complain about, it changes from a suggestion to a mandate. We're way past the suggestion phase with this one.

Return to “Beginner Questions”