Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Post by Husse »

There seems to be few bugs, but post what you find here
Last edited by Husse on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

Thanks. I was wondering where to post bugs. So far, Daryna has been perfect. Used for email, internet, graphics, audio & word processing.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

To make Compiz to start automatically, select Menu>preferences>sessions. Create a new entry with the command being compiz
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

No chance of Beryl 0.2.x being added to Daryna as an alternative to Compiz? For some reason, Compiz and Compiz-Fusion seem way too unwieldy to me. From the myriad of effects to the all-encompansing control panel applet to the cryptic command needed to start it. Perhaps I'm just used to Beryl which seems simpler (and which seems much faster to me by the way) but I strongly dislike Compiz; I don't care how many whiz-bag effects they add to it. With Celena, 3D effects were simple to setup and invoke.

On a separate note, Daryna doesn't appear to like custom gnome-screensaver lock screen dialog themes. I've created a couple of custom ones for Mint, but when I copy the files over to /usr/share/gnome-screensaver/ and modify the gconf key for gnome-screensaver in gconf-editor to specify the custom theme, the lock dialog changes to a blank white square. This is not the case in Celena, in which I'm using the exact same theme. Any ideas here? Granted, this is a very minor, minor thing...

So far, my testing of Daryna reveals a fast, rock stable system. Notable observations: (1.) Boots faster than Celena (2.) Logs in faster. (3.) Seems snappier overall on identical hardware. (4.) Gnome 2.20 is excellent!!!

Great job guys! I look forward to FINAL
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Hi.

Almost everything runs as it should. As mentioned above compiz is not specially responsive to changes in the settings. What I noticed is that Daryna doesn't install printers automatically (as gutsy). I don't know, maybe it was removed, but that's a pity though.

I hope I won't find any bugs ;-)
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Azureus crashed shortly after start

Post by neo67 »

but this is a known error of azureus,
Fetch a new version of azureus from : new one

rename is to Azureus2.jar and copy it to /usr/share/java/. and azureus will run without a crash. you must do this as root.

Greetz
neo67
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I guess this might be something. It comes when i click on Appearance. I hope it will help.
wubuntu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wubuntu »

Can't use my thinkpad-hotkeys - but it's the same problem as in gutsy. it seems to be a kernel-specific problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint mindcandy
I thought your post was more of a regular support question until I saw
4x 80Gb Hdd configured as RAID 5 via Adaptec 2400A ATA Raid controller.
Don't know if that's supported. Clem will look at this thread and has to figure that out. It seems to work under 2.4.14 but there has been oddities with new kernels and hard disk controllers
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've so far had problems with name resolution (for internet) and the solution is described here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
I did not have this with Cassandra and Celena - don't remember Bianca. Not sure if this is a Mint bug or my router that is behaving bad
I've also had some mysterious lockups in Firefox. FF gets dark and I can't do anything in it. Forced close and restart works great - even unsaved editing is there - like a not submitted post
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The Firefox problem can be resolved by enabling the "Gutsy Proposed" repo, then you can get Firefox 2.0.0.8 and you should be fine.

Also, Gnome 2.20.1 packages are availible in "Gutsy Proposed", this corrects many small bugs.
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

Husse wrote:I've so far had problems with name resolution (for internet) and the solution is described here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
I did not have this with Cassandra and Celena - don't remember Bianca. Not sure if this is a Mint bug or my router that is behaving bad
I've also had some mysterious lockups in Firefox. FF gets dark and I can't do anything in it. Forced close and restart works great - even unsaved editing is there - like a not submitted post
Try nslookup at the terminal and than http://www.linuxmint.com or something else.
What does it say? Its possible to resolve?
my example with Daryna:
neo@neoskiste:~$ nslookup
> http://www.suse.de
Server: 192.168.178.1
Address: 192.168.178.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
http://www.suse.de canonical name = turing.suse.de.
Name: turing.suse.de
Address: 195.135.220.3
Greetz
Neo67
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Azureus vanishes after start

Post by poision »

Hi i found azureus started but ended without any error.Checked all possibilities but nothing found.Is this bug?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Not so much a bug in Daryna, but a warning to people running AGP versions of the newer ATI X1k/X2k series cards. The fglrx driver in the Daryna/Gutsy repo will give you the "black screen of death" if you install it as prompted. It is not compatible with cards using the AGP bridge chip (AGP versions of PCI-E cards).

I tried to use force version to get an older version, but that function was not available. Stick to vesa, or try the latest 8.42.3 driver from ATI's site. That one can be made to work, but video overlay is broken when running Compiz.

Or you could just stick to Celena/Cassandra until ATI gets a fully functional driver, because the driver in the Feisty repo DOES work. And then there's always the "get an nVidia card" option...

I'm going to experiment a bit more with this and see if I can beat it into submission somehow, but based on past experience I'm not hopeful. :(

Aloha, Tim

EDIT: okay, I got nowhere with the 8.37 fglrx driver in the Gutsy repo. Trying the 8.42.3 driver from ATI now...

EDIT2: Got the new ATI driver to work! I'll post a mini-guide in the "Tips & Tricks / Howtos" section in a little while.

Okay, here ya go!
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0569#40569

8)
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Azureus vanishes after start

Post by neo67 »

poision wrote:Hi i found azureus started but ended without any error.Checked all possibilities but nothing found.Is this bug?
but this is a known error of azureus,
Fetch a new version of azureus from : new one

rename is to Azureus2.jar and copy it to /usr/share/java/. and azureus will run without a crash. you must do this as root.

Greetz
neo67
Stretch
Level 2
Level 2

Problem installing nVidia drivers.

Post by Stretch »

I am having a particularly strange problem. When I installed Daryna I opted for no GRUB installation. Instead I modified my existing menu.lst by adding this:

title Daryna beta
root (hd2,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdc5 splash=silent
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak
boot

So when I started Daryna I got the pop-up telling me proprietary drivers were available. I went along with it and installed a package like x11-xserver-new (or something like that). I then got another pop-up telling me to restart. So I did.

Then after rebooting, X tries to start but fails and drops me to a low-res config utility. I then go in a manually select my card / monitor and the proprietary driver. However X still fails.

The only way I can "rescue" it, is to manually edit xorg.conf and remove either "nv" or "nvidia" and change it back to "vesa".

I am using Celena on a GF7900GT with 2 x ViewSonic VP201b's (1600 x 1200). The md5sum of the iso seems OK.
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Post by poision »

Boot process seems lengthy.Can it be short?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Not a bug, but a typo...

In /etc/apt/sources.list the Daryna repository is labeled as:
## +++ Celena (Linux Mint 4.0) +++

Note that the repo address is correct (daryna), just the comment is wrong.

Aloha, Tim
welkiner
Level 1
Level 1

Daryna b021 HD install failure

Post by welkiner »

Bea and Celena install just fine on Dell C600, but Daryna will not install.
Seems to work great as LiveCD, but fails to install on HD.
First failure at approximately 75% of install. Subsequent attempts fail at 15%
Also, Bea and Celena recognize my HD as hda and Daryna recognize my HD as sda!
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

How does Compiz launch at boot up? There isn't any entry in sessions, so what is running it?

Thanks, Tim

Return to “Releases & Announcements”