Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna - BETA 021 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Ya, may have been a scrached lens!
my master/slave settings were ok though and I
carefully cleaned the lens. it was pretty old! :wink:
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

No problem running the cd, but the default 800x600 screen is unuseable on my monitor. Envy gave an error saying it wasn't supported by my hardware (something like that). Strange, Celena is O.K. with envy.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Missed wrote:No problem running the cd, but the default 800x600 screen is unuseable on my monitor. Envy gave an error saying it wasn't supported by my hardware (something like that). Strange, Celena is O.K. with envy.
Envy needs to be updated.
We are waiting for a new one for the Livecd, but you can get one that will work here.
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/ ... u8_all.deb
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed »

merlwiz79 wrote:Envy needs to be updated.
We are waiting for a new one for the Livecd, but you can get one that will work here.
http://albertomilone.com/ubuntu/nvidia/ ... u8_all.deb
Thank-you. I will try that.
Exakun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Exakun »

NoobixCube wrote:Great work on getting the beta out :D Took me totally by surprise.

Just one thing, not a bug though. I'm a big fan of Emerald, how do I set that as my window decorator?
To do this, change your startup script to read "compiz --replace -c emerald &" (permanent fix) and if you already have it running, then do ALT+F2 and type "emerald --replace" to fix it until you kill compiz manually or by rebooting.
I'm exaxxion4096 on IRC. I'll try to help everyone out whenever I'm on :)
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Opera is really fast to start on Daryna :shock:

Compiz-Fusion is a little bit slower than Beryl used to be, the burning effect for example takes several seconds to close a full-screen application: I understand why it was changed to "Glide 2" in Daryna :roll:

I had some problems with mounting my partitions, MintDisk not being there anymore; for some reason my two FAT32 partitions (D on hda5 and E on hda6) where mounted under the same path (I think both went under /media/hda6) causing some trouble. I had to manually edit /etc/fstab to get them back.

Now about the artwork, I still prefer Bea/Human's decorations, widgets and icons :oops:

Also, I'd like to see MintMenu fully in french (or other), I never saw any information on how to change its language !?
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

Very good work! The configurable updater is a great idea.
Daryna ist running highly to 95% out of the box. Only my AVM WLAN USB Stick is a little bit tricky to run, also after reboot.
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=6118

If anyone has problems to use the AVM USB WLAN Stick, I'm able to post this also in english again.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Happy Camper!!!!!

Post by grizwald »

Hi Developers.

I have installed Daryna Beta 021 and I must say I am particularly impressed with the way it is working. I find the card slot in the Lap Top is working again and all the other usual Internet programs work flawlessly. Even the installation system had no glitches which was nice. Since we are updating every so often, would it be possible to have the emails etc from Thunderbird copied over from the previous version in the same way as the 'Bookmarks' are for Firefox? Being able to copy the contents of the old Home directory is excellent and I'd try the same with Thunderbird if I knew where to look.

A truly excellent version of Mint and a credit to all those people who have made it possible.

kind regards,

Griz.

P.S. How do we pronounce Daryna, it is a name I have never encountered before? "Darreena or Darrinah perhaps....?
starkey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by starkey »

Congratulations, I installed and I'm impress with your work. :D :D :D :D :D :D

P.S.: I love the start page in Firefox
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Exakun wrote:
NoobixCube wrote:Great work on getting the beta out :D Took me totally by surprise.

Just one thing, not a bug though. I'm a big fan of Emerald, how do I set that as my window decorator?
To do this, change your startup script to read "compiz --replace -c emerald &" (permanent fix) and if you already have it running, then do ALT+F2 and type "emerald --replace" to fix it until you kill compiz manually or by rebooting.
Emerald is not included in Ubuntu Gutsy (Daryna). It depends in an old library that is not available in the Gutsy repos (libwnck18) so it won't work.

Aloha, Tim
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Lolo Uila wrote:Emerald is not included in Ubuntu Gutsy (Daryna). It depends in an old library that is not available in the Gutsy repos (libwnck18) so it won't work.

Aloha, Tim
Emerald is in Gutsy. Not sure if that command works or not, though.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

How odd... when I tried to install it it told me it couldn't install because of the file I mentioned above. When I looked for that file it said it was no longer available.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Lolo Uila wrote:How odd... when I tried to install it it told me it couldn't install because of the file I mentioned above. When I looked for that file it said it was no longer available.
You need the updated one libwnck22.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Yea, I saw that one, but it wouldn't install because it wanted the older one. I think I was having some kind of problem with apt because it's fine now.

Something got screwy the first time I installed because Compiz just stopped working and I couldn't get it back. I was messing around a lot while figuring out the ATI driver problem so I may have busted something. Anyway, I reloaded from scratch to test my ATI driver install mini-guide and Compiz is working again (and I'm not getting the broken dependencies either).

I still can't get some of the Compiz plugins to work (like Cube Caps), but it's mostly working.

EDIT: Ah, got it. .png image loading is disabled by default. Man Compiz sucks! The user interface is really terrible. I wish the Beryl devs had not merged back with Compiz. Beryl was a much more polished app. :(

Aloha, Tim
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna-BETA 021

Post by GoustiFruit »

willywillhym wrote:I must say I am very impressed by what I've seen so far, and I'm not easily impressed. I could hardly believe it when my true screen resolution was recognized and calibrated! In my case 1680X1050. I have only seen this happen in one other Linux distro, Myah 2.2. And believe me I have tried them all!
My resolution is also 1680x1050 and it was recognized... but the refresh rate was incorrect and couln't be changed easily (the picture was stuck in the middle half of the screen). It went all better after installing the drivers for my nVidia card !
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by matthekc »

myah 2.2 was a slick little distro configured ati 200m when hardly anything did. Congrats on daryna
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Okay, I installed the DMRAID driver and edited my menu.lst to include my Celena/XP dual boot from the RAID volume. Now I can choose to boot Daryna from the test partition on my IDE data drive, or Celena or XP Pro from my Sata RAID Volume.

Sorry to say it, but I prefer Celena with Beryl over Daryna with Compiz-Fusion. No offense Clem, your work is stellar as always, I just must be missing something here.

What improvements are included in Gutsy that make it superior to Feisty?

Thanks, Tim
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

There's a thing that I dislike in Daryna... the look... darkish...
When I installed Celena I firstly changed all the artworks because they were too dark for me...

I don't know if the team is working on a new artworks but a little suggestion: I don't understand if the base color of Daryn is the green or the blue.... If you open OpenOffice, you get a blue splashscreen but looking at the rest of the artworks it seems that the developers choosed the green color...

Mint is green, not blue (in fact I disliked the blue window decorations of Celena, for example...)
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Installation Notes and throughty throughness

Post by grimdestripador »

Job well done, I am posting this while my partitions are being formated. [Edit] I am reposting this while I format again.

In the interest of this being a BETA,
I want to express community opinion upon improvable aspects for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna - BETA 021.

I feel a need to appreciate those features that make my minty experience. The choices and the success thus far have proved your competence.

Chronologically:
"+" = things i like
" - " = dislikes / or areas needing improvement

:idea: +) Booted to 640x480 compatible screen with graphical grub!! I enjoy the dark appearance, since it sometimes flashes to terminal, and is less obtrusive to keep the pallet consistent to the eye.

:!: -) Wish those F[n] buttons worked correctly with appropriate information. Possibly helpful information on METHOD TO BOOT. Thus giving the user an option to declare his willingness to boot to nvidia's proprietary "nv" or "nvidia" (as refered to in /etc/X11/xorg.conf). I heard this is more difficult for ATIi.

:idea: +) Auto login to desktop. Nice themes and consistency

:idea: +) Awesome Mint Menu. Awesome Mint Menu! Awesome Mint Mine!!

:!: -) My monitor defaulted 2048x1536@75hz. .. suggest a cap at 1280. I can't switch resolutions on LiveCD; Display all messed up.

:idea: :!: -/+) no info about how to assume root privileges. Possibly a howto placed in the documents folder. Or a link to the wiki community portal so the user could read up. Any minty user should understand this, but again think mac user, every thing of importance should have a menu option and keyboard shortcut. This option of reading up on the internet is novel, but not always practical, and having a mirror'd compressed webfile of the wiki section should not take too much space if the images are compressed with reduced quality. Every release can solve common questions as most are related to the bases of using Mint rather than interfacing at command level to install the latest <insert app>.i686.tar.gz or bypass kernel wifi drivers specific to that release. Simple questions section would have to be improved. Make note that current online versions are available to solve <insert latest> Linux Mint's issues. But again referring to mac users, this button should be located somewhere in the gui, such that just by clicking around on ones computer and reading whats on the screen, one can teach thyself, and develop a since of intuition, giving an advantage over windows <broken by design>. I'm not saying making simple like apple, i'm promoting academic level tutorial with appropriate ways of help systems because I still can't seem to get compiz working with custom animations. I need help with lots, usually I search the internet for the answer, then post on the forums. But still. If there was a reason to allocate donations, Possibly pay for a publicist contract and a professional HowTo writer to make a parallel effort of integrating hyper links accessible from most minty windows by a disclosure triangle with a question mark in the bottom corner of the dialog box of the item in question. For example, "How To Configure Mint Upload if you have a Mint Space Account" would be a text object accessible by a disclosure triangle that makes the window bigger including a list box of appropriate help actions of that particular dialog. No external utility, loat times and destraction from task at hand make people not think about their answers to dialog box questions. Possibly a pointer/reference array stored in a XML file so links could change dynamically by updating a central file if needed. Posibally updated, although disk access for dialog box is bit risky. Possibly a cache? I like my ram free.

:!: -) In "Computer" Titles are crazy, and even properties lists it by the uuid... GRR. I just want to open my storage drive. I know its sda4. I clicked through 9 partitions and mounted them. Now I'm trying to copy me home folder from the last install onto my storage, and I have to type "sudo nautilus /media/disk-7",, come on, mount it where it should be at /media/sda4". Anyway my UUIDs get messed up from switching my storage drives on the e-sata. So why use them. I can see the use of them to guaranteed internal accuracy or for prefabricated commands that require that specific drive for a script that would destroy data if it ran on the incorrect drive. When I see hdb2 i know its hard drive secondary partition 2. When I see SCSI(0,0,0) I know its my first hard dive first partition. When I see "444.4 Gb Volume" until I double click it then it names itself "Disk-5" with UUID... I have no info on this disk. Except its size. Also If you mount any disk in nautilus by clicking on the list of media in the left pane, There is an inability to unmount (note: live cd operation as i haven't installed yet). Further leading to pre-partition success (custom mode), and partition failure of said drive; possibly chaining of failed operations if it had dependents. Rebooting always solves any problem.

:idea: +) Awesome Appearance,
:idea: +) Another for the Mint Menu
:idea: +) Install icon on desktop. Also located in Administration, Network works, I wish I could have features like LVM which supported soft and hard RAID. Of Which I'll install onto an encrypted partition of which I'll have my /boot from a bootable usb thumb drive acting as the ignition key. Think of promoting it to extreme hardware enthusiasts, Lets have a guide and show some reporters how awesome a computer can be. A demo model, that in the process of creating, you invent new ways of optimizing the potential of hardware performance. Think for example, if there was digg article on howtoforge as the PerfectMintSetup. Show people that their is an answer and that computers work more and tinker less while costing less money. (think of why Ubuntu has become a success), there are books that sell because its marketable, and predictable. If only there was a publication for linux mint. Hint: a community portal wiki section on links and references about media for linux mint. <Express Enthusiasm>.

:idea: +) MintUpload from a live cd? Email a file to yourself.

:!: -) No graphical front-end to upload ftp. This is a live CD! How am I to access my mintSpace ftp account?

Partitioning:

:!: -) Partitioning info is incomplete. Give a inline hyper link and explain in detail and with abstract "Howto: Partition" in the Documents folder mentioned earlier. Include articles on how to install Linux mint partitions before windows to setup the partitions. Give guide on what is grub, and how to install grub on the drive you are installing to (for people with removable HD trays or those who like the BIOS menu, or for those with many HDs and use a different HD per OS). In other words, keep it like it is, but add pointers to help sections.

:!: -) In "Prepare Partitions" when I clicked edit /dev/sda1 and named it "/" then clicked edit /dev/sda2 it auto titled "/" rather than "/media/sda2". This seems just to remember the last entry, which makes little since, how about some intelligent guessing that /dev/sda2 should become /media/sda2, not a second "/".

:!: -) I like my sectors full and round, and specifying partition sizes in MB is weak. Also a HD performance tool could test my hardrive's random read and seq read speeds and suggest the best location for my swap partition. At least give a tutorial hyper link about location of swap fie. (which is why a read only utility could adise them). Anyway I still can use fdisk to do my partitioning. Try to find some centerline for common advanced functions for average "Joe Mint".

:idea: +) After partitioning, before the event is passed on to the hardware, it gives a great summary of information of actions to be performed. Suggest adding ability to skip installation of language packs. Even better select them to install after first boot, rather than directly after install. 1+ hr download.

:oops: Bug) Something went array . My installation went fine. Booting resulted straight to windows XP (sdc) and no grub boot. When I manually select "from first disk" on boot cd, still goes to windows xp. When I manually installed grub "sudo grub .... setup(hd0)". Same thing for setup(hd1). Grr, I even tested the first stage according to the wiki. So this resulted in clearing the partition table for sda and sdb (sdc is windows). and making my root partition sda1 using guided mode... grr. PC Linux OS doesn't have these problems. But does have some shitty problems having to do with it creating erroneous logical partitions for the "/". Which... does not play well with windows formatting or windows partition imaging software. Please Explain why when I choose "Guided - Use Entire /dev/sda1" it gives a summary of swap being installed on sda5 of logical partition??? And Explain differences if i instead use /dev/sda2 since There still is some free space that I might want to use later located after /sda2 swap. Is this the Linux way? Is it because we use /boot /var /etc /home and run out of the 4 primary limitation?

I hope you took this to consideration;
Now I'm on to installing Linux Gamer's new iso and http://supergamer.org/ website's torrent filled with games like Unreal 4 installed. With Linux Mint Continually being the best linux distro.

grimdestripador of Mint Forum
Previous Knowledge: C++, Java, XHTML, MacOS 6-9, PC DOS6-XP, Ubuntu 5.04 - 7.04, Mint Ada-Celena), Apps: mySQL, Excel, gnuplot, octave, Gimp
Last edited by grimdestripador on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:53 am, edited 13 times in total.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

leo72 wrote:Mint is green, not blue (in fact I disliked the blue window decorations of Celena, for example...)
I absolutely agree. I think that color consistency is a must: look at Ubuntu, PCLOS, Fedora, Mandriva etc.
At the first boot, the Mint user sees three colors: green, black and blue. It's not pretty and lack a precise identity, IMHO. Two colors are more than enough.

I am no graphic, granted, but I think that too many colors give a non-polished look.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”