Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Daryna b021 HD install failure

Post by merlwiz79 »

welkiner wrote:Bea and Celena install just fine on Dell C600, but Daryna will not install.
Seems to work great as LiveCD, but fails to install on HD.
First failure at approximately 75% of install. Subsequent attempts fail at 15%
Also, Bea and Celena recognize my HD as hda and Daryna recognize my HD as sda!
They have stopped using ide drivers and are using the scsi drivers instead.
This makes everyones sdx.
The second time it stopped, means that the hard drive was mounted, so it couldn't partition it.
Also make sure that the cd was burned at a low speed like 2x.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Lolo Uila wrote:How does Compiz launch at boot up? There isn't any entry in sessions, so what is running it?

Thanks, Tim
I think you are thinking of the new metacity theme Gilouche.
http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/1286
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

merlwiz79 wrote:
Lolo Uila wrote:How does Compiz launch at boot up? There isn't any entry in sessions, so what is running it?

Thanks, Tim
I think you are thinking of the new metacity theme Gilouche.
http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/1286
No, Compiz is running when I boot up.

Or was... something broke and it's not working now. :( Although it still shows in System Monitor processes, so it is still running from somewhere?

EDIT: Dang! I can't get any Compiz functions now. It was working and now it's not. It is still running in memory, but nothing works. Can't even launch the settings manager. :(

It was working until I messed with the Appearances app. That application broke something, and now Compiz is inaccessible. And Appearances now tells me that desktop effects cannot be enabled.

Oh well... back to Celena or Cassandra for me.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

My problems with compiz not remembering settings are solved .I'm not sure how. I rebooted, then made some changes in xorg.conf and booted again and there it is. Compiz works just as it should. I installed emerald and it somehow works too. Both load every time i boot, without adding anything to sessions.

The modifications to the xorg.conf I made are those required for beryl as well.

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600]"
Driver "nvidia"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
Option "backingstore" "True"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
EndSection

(...)

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

I don't know which line/option does the trick, but it works.

Now another issue is the mounting of partitions. Daryna doesn't do it on bootup. I need to go to Computer and click on a partition (windows or celena or home for celena) then I need to insert my password and then i can access the partition. A bit tiring really. Is there anywhere i can set it to mount partitions on boot? Or is it a bug or a feature? ;-)

Good day to everyone!
ceti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ceti »

Clem,

I'm sorry for my previous criticisms: MintUpdate rocks!!. Congrats!!

I installed Mint 4.0 on my desktop and everything's fine, BUT since Mint Cassandra:

1 - Totem doesn't output sound to my externel, USB stereo, only to the built-in on the motherboard.In Ubuntu it does;

2 - I can't have a panel fully transparent, unlike Ubuntu. Minimized applications, the clock etc assume the system color (the more-or-less gray).

That's it. Excellent work.

Cheers
Sorry, but that's the way it is.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

rootkowski wrote:...I installed emerald and it somehow works too. Both load every time i boot, without adding anything to sessions.
How did you install Emerald? It depends on a file that is not available in the Daryna/Gutsy repos. Well, that's what it told me when I tried to install it, anyway. Did you add any more repositories?
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Lolo Uila wrote:
rootkowski wrote:...I installed emerald and it somehow works too. Both load every time i boot, without adding anything to sessions.
How did you install Emerald? It depends on a file that is not available in the Daryna/Gutsy repos.
I just went to synaptic, searched on compiz to see what there was connected with that one. I was happy to see there was emerald so i marked it for installation and it installed without any problem at all. Since then it in the Preferences menu and works like a breeze. Though it came with no themes at all so that you need to search for yourself, but that's not a big thing. I recommend gnome-look.org
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ neo67
Don't worry - my Daryna works - I wrote the troubleshooter so I immediately knew what to do.
Funny thing is that Firefox and Thunderbird got nameresolution from start - synaptics etc did not...
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

How odd it wouldn't install for me. I wonder if a server was down in one of the repos when I tried?

Oh well...
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Oh, one other thing. When installing Daryna it takes forever to start the partitioner. I mean like 10 minutes just sitting there with "Starting the partitioner" on the screen. System only has 1 hard drive and 1 optical, so I don't know why it would take so long. Didn't have this problem with Celena (and yes, I tried putting a blank, formatted floppy in the floppy drive).

EDIT: I wonder if it has to do with the size of the drive? It is a 750GB hard drive...

Aloha, Tim
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I've noticed that closing down the computer doesn't work using the link/button in the mint menu. I click on Quit and nothing happens. It works with the main menu though.
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

Husse wrote:@ neo67
Don't worry - my Daryna works - I wrote the troubleshooter so I immediately knew what to do.
Funny thing is that Firefox and Thunderbird got nameresolution from start - synaptics etc did not...
I think, thats FF and TF indicates different files oder system environments.
Try to clean your apt cache....
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

rootkowski wrote:I've noticed that closing down the computer doesn't work using the link/button in the mint menu. I click on Quit and nothing happens. It works with the main menu though.
I get that sometimes as well. Not always for me, though, sometimes it works (but even then it takes around 5 seconds for the Quit option dialog to appear).
jmjosebest
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmjosebest »

I have an usb network card with chipset RTL8187L

This: http://www.comprawifi.com/usb/alta-pote ... _1082.html

In Cassandra run OK but in Daryna dont run.

The driver: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... loads=true

Thanks!!
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

No chance of Beryl 0.2.x being added to Daryna as an alternative to Compiz?
Beryl is dead, well at least party. It was fused with compiz.
kiwiboyus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwiboyus »

I just installed Daryna (using safe graphics mode), on my Toshiba Satellite A60 w/ATI Mobility 7000 Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory and I can not enable any desktop effects. I tried installing the ATI driver using Envy but it just fails. I was testing Gutsy on this machine and desktop effects worked great, I had no issues when running Celena either. I cheked my xorg.conf and it just lists:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Generic Video Card"
Driver "vesa"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Software

Post by floweringmind »

Where is Firefox 2.0.0.8??

Where is GIMP 2.4 final???

Is this just Ubuntu being lame?
mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeon11 »

i am not sure if this a bug, but my drives/partitions were not automatically mounted. in previous version i never had to manually mount windows and other partitions with important files.

thanks for job well done
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Envy is not compatible with Daryna... yet. It needs an update. Remember, this is a Beta release, so some things will be broken.

If you need drivers you will need to use apt, Synaptic, or install them manually. Welcome to the world of Beta testing. :)

Aloha, Tim

PS: If you have an AGP X1k/X2k series ATI card I posted a guide.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0569#40569
mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Software

Post by mikeon11 »

floweringmind wrote:Where is Firefox 2.0.0.8??

Where is GIMP 2.4 final???

Is this just Ubuntu being lame?
use mint install or mintportal to install them if you miss them

Return to “Releases & Announcements”