LMDE mintMenu shortcut issue

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

LMDE mintMenu shortcut issue

Post by feffer »

A few months ago, I installed LMDE 32-bit on a newish desktop. Mostly everything worked and was configured as I liked. Not being one to leave well enough alone, I installed LMDE 64-bit over it, but kept the /home and it's config files from the earlier install. Now I'm finding it impossible to change the mintMenu shortcut to <Alt>Space (which I like for personal reasons). This worked on the 32-bit version but I can't get it to work on LMDE 64-bit even after a reboot.

I thought maybe there was an issue with the config files pulled from the 32-bit version, so I deleted ".linuxmint" and let it rebuild, but that did not help. I do not see any shortcut conflicts in compiz or metacity with <Alt>Space either.

Are there other config files that I should delete/rebuild? Could this be a 64-bit version issue? I doubt this, but if someone running 64-bit LMDE can change his/her mintMenu shortcut, please let me know. Any other ideas about this?

thx,
feffer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LMDE mintMenu shortcut issue

Post by Silent Warrior »

Have you tried right-clicking the menu and going into Properties? It gives you the option to change the keyboard shortcut.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

Have you tried right-clicking the menu and going into Properties? It gives you the option to change the keyboard shortcut.
Yes. My desired shortcut <Alt>Space is accepted and remains the "preference" after rebooting, but does nothing. As I mentioned in the first post, doing this on the 32-bit LMDE activated my desired shortcut properly, but for some reason does not work on the 64-bit version.

I might add that going back to the default <Ctl>Super_L and rebooting DOES get mintMenu to pop up. So why not just use the default? I work on several different OSes -- 3-4 linux ones, Mac OS X, and 2 versions of Windows -- so keeping many different sets of shortcuts straight is an issue. The <Atl>Space keys are in the same place on Mint and Mac (Cmd-Space on the Mac, but the same physical location). So using this shortcut really does make sense to me. And it ought to work -- so I'd like to figure out why it doesn't.

If anyone who's running LMDE 64-bit could test this on his/her system, it would be greatly appreciated. It would tell me whether this is a specific issue with my system, or a general bug with mintMenu on 64-bit LMDE.

thx,
feffer
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

I've tested this, and I verify the issue. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but with a window open, Alt-Space tends to open the windowmanager menu. The one you get when you right-click the titlebar.
It's possible I didn't enter the shortcut correctly, though - but maybe you could try specifying that you want the left Alt-key in the shortcut?
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

thx for testing it. On my LMDE system, if the mintMenu default <Ctl>Super_L is used, then <Alt>Space does NOT open the window menu -- it does nothing (indicating there is no conflict with an existing action). On Ubuntu <Atl>Space by default DOES open the window menu.

In any case, perhaps there really IS an issue with mintMenu, or at least the key-binding code on the 64-bit edition. Guess a bug-report is the next step.

thx again.

Return to “LMDE Archive”