LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 30 mar 2011

Post by gosa »

Roken wrote:I have an ATI card, not NV, but I, too, use sgfxi to install the drivers. WIth kernel upgrades I tend to find that it really is a simple as you thought (update, reboot, quit GUI, run sgfxi, reboot), although I would always recommend keeping the working kernel to boot back into should things go horribly wrong.
Thank you, that "sounds" very promising...

So what you're saying that as long as I keep the old kernel I can keep on enjoying my - decently - trouble-free life?
- Since I'm not exactly "old" in this game I always thought that these things were a bit more "connected" with each other once I took the plunge...

I'll see if I'll go ahead and try then, there's always that trueimage clone to fall back to if it goes really bad.

Thanks again!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

funny part is the new kernel seems to be doing an excellent job...so other then the rather disconcerting and temporary experience with my laptop touch pad and the mysterious (looks like just one time) shutting off of my computer (both of which did shake me up quite a bit...lol) it is working very well and the touchpad is acting like nothing ever happened to it :)
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

viking777 wrote:@ gosa

Well I have obviously caused you some offence but I find it difficult to understand why.

I believe this statement to be fundamentally true and I think it would be difficult for anyone to argue against it:
you must realise that like different kernels and different apt sources, LMDE is not tested to comply with your particular self imposed situation and therefore it is unlikely that any regular user will be able to answer your question.
Anyway, I apologise. It was (and never would be) my intention to cause offence to you or anyone.

The intent of the post was to suggest a possible cause of the problem you are having, nothing more than that.
It ain't so much about taking offence as it is about commenitng on something you so obviously don't even know anything about:
Thing is gosa, you have made your life more complicated by electing to use sgfxi (whatever that is? )
or - as I felt it came out:
- "I don't know what the guy is talking about, but it can't be good since it's not part of what LMDE was meant to be...."

Anyway - - apology accepted, even though I still feel you come out a tad bit strict on the "only ask about genuine LMDE-things".

Before leaving the subject:

I'd like to help you get a better understanding about what sgfxi/smxi is doing by pointing to a thread that Ikey initiated while he was still around:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=20
As I understand it part of what Ikey was talking about was going to use smxi/sgfx for some of it's "inner workings"...
In other words - those script can't be that bad a help for us with less knowledge about things, even though it is not yet adapted/branded to Mint.
GeoNeil

Post by GeoNeil »

I seem to have a very different problem. With the new kernel, graphics appear to work fine (in fact better, tty works with my ancient monitor, under the old kernel the monitor would switch off and monitor settings would somehow insist that my CRT monitor could support a 27.4Hz refresh rate ...umm no)

However under the new kernel, my USB Wifi doesn't work (I managed to fix it under the old kernel) I think the problem is missing kernel modules, but I'm not sure
cecar

Post by cecar »

I had to reverse todays upgrade. It broke my graphics and my microphone. Actually the first break i had with LMDE that i could not fix easy.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I did notice now that my fan seems to run fast a lot which it did not do before this update...so apparently this kernel has caused many of us issues which i hope will quickly be addressed by debian...

The kernel itself seem to run very well...it is just the breakages it is causing that is a "downer"... :roll:
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Since the big upgrade today I have had one total freeze out - had to use power button. Plus the clock time is now wrong:
barry@toshiba ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
[sudo] password for barry:

Current default time zone: 'Europe/London'
Local time is now: Mon Apr 11 23:20:49 BST 2011.
Universal Time is now: Mon Apr 11 22:20:49 UTC 2011.
Except that it is actually 21:20 UTc and 22:20 BST (British Summer Time)

When I boot up & go into the BIOS it shows the correct time, so LMDE is making some kind of adjustment.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

barryp wrote:Since the big upgrade today I have had one total freeze out - had to use power button. Plus the clock time is now wrong:
barry@toshiba ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
[sudo] password for barry:

Current default time zone: 'Europe/London'
Local time is now: Mon Apr 11 23:20:49 BST 2011.
Universal Time is now: Mon Apr 11 22:20:49 UTC 2011.
Except that it is actually 21:20 UTc and 22:20 BST (British Summer Time)

When I boot up & go into the BIOS it shows the correct time, so LMDE is making some kind of adjustment.
LMDE often has trouble keeping the correct system time (meaning your local time) especially in a dual boot situation but it can occur in a single boot situation as well. You might want to try installing 'ntp' (Network Time Protocol daemon), you'll find it Synaptic. Once it's installed then you'll be able to find it in the Mint Menu just by searching for 'ntp'. Load it up and set the options, which are pretty obvious, and save. Then, in your tray, open your clock's preferences and set system time to your local time and you're done. You shouldn't experience any problems with LMDE keeping time thereafter.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

touchpad is erratic again...so it is both that and the fan running a lot that i have noticed so far regarding breakages from this kernel...I hope they are able to send the fixes down as soon as possible...

very annoying :cry:
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

If the new kernel doesn't work well for you, just boot from the previous one. Older kernels aren't removed when new ones are installed unless you do it manually. You should get a menu at boot time with a choice of all the available kernels.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks for the suggestion...i will have to check that out...I was wondering...does anyone know what usually happens when a new kernel like this is sent down and it causes all different types of breakages like this? Do they replace it with a different kernel or do bug fixes on the kernel to help knock out the problems caused...
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Thanks KMB!
vincent

Post by vincent »

craig10x wrote:Thanks for the suggestion...i will have to check that out...I was wondering...does anyone know what usually happens when a new kernel like this is sent down and it causes all different types of breakages like this? Do they replace it with a different kernel or do bug fixes on the kernel to help knock out the problems caused...
Well, the breakages you are facing are likely hardware-specific; e.g. I haven't had any problems with 2.6.38, and indeed, it's great for me because I no longer have to compile rt2x00 from daily compat-wireless sources to get my wireless card to connect to a secured network (all the relevant patches have finally been applied to the mainline kernel).

My advice for you is to check http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... latest-2.6 to see if any of the bug reports address any of the issues you're facing; if not, file a bug report yourself, using reportbug.
dbkblk

Post by dbkblk »

Roken wrote:I have an ATI card, not NV, but I, too, use sgfxi to install the drivers. WIth kernel upgrades I tend to find that it really is a simple as you thought (update, reboot, quit GUI, run sgfxi, reboot), although I would always recommend keeping the working kernel to boot back into should things go horribly wrong.
Unfortunately, this is not as easy. With ATI cards, when you update the fglrx drivers for a new kernel, the module become unusable for the older kernel. So if your kernel is unstable, you can boot back to the old but not with a functional driver (you can still use your computer, nevertheless). If you really want to stick with your old kernel, just run sgfxi on it again.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I got another new version of Mintupdate today (4.2.9). It installed well enough, and found some updates immediately, but it wouldn't install them, it just kept minimising itself back to the tray.

If it happens to you just right click the tray icon and select quit then restart it with Alt/f2 - mintupdate. Then it works.
amina

Post by amina »

Oh thanks :)

By the way, how is it possible, that the new MU immediately found updates while the old MU only showed the new MU as available update?
Last edited by amina on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mads

Post by mads »

kmb42vt wrote:LMDE often has trouble keeping the correct system time (meaning your local time) especially in a dual boot situation but it can occur in a single boot situation as well. You might want to try installing 'ntp' (Network Time Protocol daemon), you'll find it Synaptic. Once it's installed then you'll be able to find it in the Mint Menu just by searching for 'ntp'. Load it up and set the options, which are pretty obvious, and save. Then, in your tray, open your clock's preferences and set system time to your local time and you're done. You shouldn't experience any problems with LMDE keeping time thereafter.
I take my hat off for this. Thanks. :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tks a lot viking :) i was wondering here what was the issue with 4.2.9, problem solved
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

I'm using an Nvidia video card. This latest kernel update totally broke my X.
I've renamed xorg.conf and then X started.
After that I had to install nvidia-glx again (I think it was removed during the update) to make it work.
doktordave

Post by doktordave »

If you're using ATI, the Catalyst 11.3 driver doesn't play nice with 2.6.38; neither the liquorix nor debian flavor work properly with ATI proprietary video on this box. However, on an older PC with an older ATI card, the radeon driver is happy with it. If you really need to use 2.6.38 for some reason, that may work for you as well.

Return to “LMDE Archive”