Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kilz

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Kilz »

Linux is not windows is still very relevant. Because people coming to Linux, most of whom come from Windows, have expectations and experiences based on the previous operating system. I know I did. The versions may change, but the expectations dont. For example 3a in the article is a common expectation today because Windows users expect a specific level of service or polish because they are used to dealing not with a community, but a company. So we get rants and rages and "I'm going back" posts. Linke that is somehow hurting the open source application/distro. Cluebat, it isnt.
Windows users to this day install the latest and newest open source code, and then complain about how buggy it is. Its a different viewpoint based on the fact that they in the past paid for a product. Now since they have downloaded something that has similar functionality, they expect the same lack of bugs. But open source isnt done like that. Part of downloading and installing the newest code comes with the responsibility and the expectation that the person will find and report bugs and perhaps fix them themselves.
Those that think its dated are perhaps only fooling themselves or perhaps trying to find some way out of it applying to them. The names may have changed, but the issues remain. I think one of the prime culprits of fostering the idea that Linux = Windows is Ubuntu. They have all but outlawed telling new windows users that the problem isnt a problem, but that its to be expected.
I have no problem helping people. But sometimes the issue is pebkac and their expectations.
Telecaster72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Telecaster72 »

ann92 wrote: The only other Linux system I've tried is Ubuntu 10.10, which was very slow too. I'll try installing another system today. Which one? I'd prefer something Ubuntu-based. Specs: ASUS W5000 Notebook. 492116 kB RAM
Any recommendations? Thanks
As mentioned before the Debian based versions is easier on your RAM and i think the XFCE version would be fast on your notebook, they require a little more tinkering though than the Ubuntu based ones when it comes to updates, proprietary graphic drivers and such. The plus side is that they are rolling releases wich means that you dont have to do a complete reinstall when a new version comes out like Ubuntu and regular Mint.
If you want to go the Ubuntu based way, why dont you give the LXDE version a whirl? It´s based on openbox window manager and should be lighting fast even on your computer. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1705
If you already have Mint or Ubuntu installed you can just install the LXDE or XFCE desktop environments through synaptic, then choose one of them instead of Gnome at the log in screen and that should save you some RAM as compared to running Gnome.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Sure it's been said and said again.

One of the biggest reasons in my opinion. So many systems come preinstalled with Windows. Might not like him, but have to admit B gates and M$ ... know a thing or two about marketing. That being when someone gets used to something, they tend to stick with it.

Once someone gets used to M$ stuff + with it coming preinstalled on a majority of comps. It's just natural for people to stick to it. Learning anything else, even something that's a step up and FREE ... like linux. Takes them out of that routine and comfort zone. Bothering to learn even the minor differences in accomplishing common tasks with one of the linux GUI's is considered too much aggravation.

People are creatures of habit ... and the habit in over 90+ percent of the personal computing market is M$.
FranzB

Post by FranzB »

I have to agree with Imintnewb (just above this posting).
I started out with a reply but somehow it was not loaded (how can I be in the "Post a reply" without having logged in?).
So I'll make it short the second time around. It may even be better to do that.
"Linux" has to make up its mind what it wants. Appealing to a small group of enthousiasts or to the general
public out there. You have to make a choice. Before an idea goes into production a lot of work has to be done.
And the one who had the idea should not get upset when it gets polished by other people. That's life, take it or leave it. It still remains his idea, however.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

THAT'S SO UNTRUE !!! :o

I've never told anyone that linux can do great landscaping in san fransico ! Though it probably can if someone knows what they're doing with it !!!

Kidding around, agree you have a point. I don't oversell linux, a newb myself. After checking out Mint though. Don't have any reservations about encouraging people to give it a try, shrugs. Next system I make for myself is going to be designed for linux from the ground up too.

lol ... there was a spammer post above mine. The mods mustve canned it, was wondering what Linux had to do with landscaping, shrugs.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

FranzB wrote:I have to agree with Imintnewb (just above this posting).
I started out with a reply but somehow it was not loaded (how can I be in the "Post a reply" without having logged in?).
So I'll make it short the second time around. It may even be better to do that.
"Linux" has to make up its mind what it wants. Appealing to a small group of enthousiasts or to the general
public out there. You have to make a choice. Before an idea goes into production a lot of work has to be done.
And the one who had the idea should not get upset when it gets polished by other people. That's life, take it or leave it. It still remains his idea, however.
Open Source leads to open opinions and this is why we have so many distros. Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint and others try to aim for larger markets well users as market implies monetary transaction. But Slackware distros like Salix Os aim for a small few enthusiasts. There exist many distros also because of language and culture. To say Linux needs to make up it mind on what it should be is like saying the world should make up its mind on what every individual should be. Linux was built to have many options and styles. If people want to have no options, no choices, no second opinion, no control they can use Mac OS. Linux is not about making money therefore it can not appeal to the majority. Linux is not about spending money to advertise. Quite the opposite actually. Most distros advertise to make money. Most people probably give up on Linux because they can not understand the philosophy. "This program doesn't work! so Linux doesn't work!" Most people do not want to use much of there brain when it come to using something. Notice how Apple is doing so well when they are not better than Windows. PCs are cheaper than Macs and can potentially get better than a Mac could ever dream but that requires brain power. And then other people do not want to here the truth about them being lazy. If you want everything to work all the time and at its best you have to research and work for it. That goes for more than OSs. You can dish out money to save yourself from labor but are likely to be ripped off. P.S,. Linux is a continent with many countries and many cultures in those countries. Why would you tell the continent to make up its mind? Is all of Europe uniform? Linux said "I will make computers work" and it has. How they work is up to the people. If the people do not want that they are free to move on. No strings, no commitment, no financial investment, no obligation. Its free to come and free to go. If the more than 300 distros and the choices there in are too much for people I wonder how they dress or buy a car or a home. Why would you want one uniform existence? I am sorry for singling you out it is just that I see this argument a lot and it is in this topic several times. You make good points if you were speaking to the board a profit seeking business. But Linux has been around for a Long time and will continue to be if it makes a decision or not.
FranzB

Post by FranzB »

Reply to Inktitan.
All very well but then why start a thread "Why do new people give up on Linux?" ????
Who cares?
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

FranzB wrote:Reply to Inktitan.
All very well but then why start a thread "Why do new people give up on Linux?" ????
Who cares?
Because people's opinions matter. The developers of Mint care. Personally i try to help spread the word and try to get people to stay. I have become greatly biased if a person leaves Linux for any reason aside from gaming i think they are wrong. But i do like to see those reasons stated even if i feel compeled to argue the point. I suppose it is more self serving than helpful. I am more likely to offend than enlighten. But you are right this forum is for complaints and suggestions.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Not to encourage a flame war or nuttin. Actually like the OP's outlook. Not siding ... but who cares ? lol ... 30 pages of responses so far do. Oops 31pgs.

:D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Topic used to have exactly 600 replies before yours. Oops, 602.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

lmintnewb wrote:Not to encourage a flame war or nuttin. Actually like the OP's outlook. Not siding ... but who cares ? lol ... 30 pages of responses so far do. Oops 31pgs.

I think he was being sarcastic. He was asking me why would they post the topic if nobody cares. I could be wrong on his intent but giving the context I kind of came off saying that this topic was pointless. Which was not my intent.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

lol ... oh I thought you were the OP. Agree with a bunch of stuff ya said anyway. No worries. I've been awake too long and am in desperate need of more caffeine. :D
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

lmintnewb wrote:lol ... oh I thought you were the OP. Agree with a bunch of stuff ya said anyway. No worries. I've been awake too long and am in desperate need of more caffeine. :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

lmintnewb wrote:lol ... oh I thought you were the OP. Agree with a bunch of stuff ya said anyway. No worries. I've been awake too long and am in desperate need of more caffeine. :D
Ah, a true geek,then. Either that or you're involved in technical support. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Because they're conditioned to be lazy.
FranzB

Post by FranzB »

Just a question.
When I go to "Linux for newbies" the thread is not listed any longer. At least I cannot see it.
I can get in by gooooogling for "Why do new people ....etc.". Yeah yeah.... leave it to Mr.G. They must spy out the forum without interruption. Last entry Google gives was 10 hrs ago. George Orwell would not have thought of it.
I can get in too if i click on "View your posts".
What happened? Am I barred, banned, exiled or what?
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

FranzB wrote:Just a question.
When I go to "Linux for newbies" the thread is not listed any longer. At least I cannot see it.
I can get in by gooooogling for "Why do new people ....etc.". Yeah yeah.... leave it to Mr.G. They must spy out the forum without interruption. Last entry Google gives was 10 hrs ago. George Orwell would not have thought of it.
I can get in too if i click on "View your posts".
What happened? Am I barred, banned, exiled or what?
IT has been moved to "Chat About Linux and Other Distributions"
sahilshinesalways

Post by sahilshinesalways »

Why do new people give up on Linux?

becoz they are doing charity work for windows who are at great loss already
FranzB

Post by FranzB »

Ah well............ without notice it was moved. Now it is much harder to find and if you are landing on this forum as a (possible) new user of Mint to look for some anwsers (which you certainly get in places) and go to "Linux for newbies" you are not any longer confronted with "Why do new people......". It's more or less out of sight. I won't go into details.
Too bad. Part (and I repeat, part) of this forum is just like so many other forums and again I don't have to spell it out, I guess. Critical remarks are often not seen with, let's say, love and are answered with rude remarks that solve nothing. Some (some!) people here are not exactly objective with the exception of the more "advanced" Linux users and the latter should reorganize this forum so that new ones can find solutions to their problems faster without asking a question. For instance by having certain sections like "linux updater" (not the most clear feature/function) and others, and certainly see to it that questions are not made ridiculous by an answer "you are lazy". Never mind all this democracy that gives everyone the oppotunity to say what (s)he wants. There are limits as there are always. Also with Linux.
--------------------------------
amina

Post by amina »

That's funny I was just wondering yesterday why this thread was in the Newbie questions section :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”