How do I hide the GRUB menu in Linux Mint Debian?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
headkase

How do I hide the GRUB menu in Linux Mint Debian?

Post by headkase »

I've been searching around but haven't found any conclusive or bullet-proof enough instructions to follow.

What I want to do: I don't want to see the GRUB menu, just have it auto-boot into the latest kernel.
If I press the left-shift-key on boot then I want the GRUB menu to be displayed for that boot only.

This behavior is what I was used to on Ubuntu (yeah, sorry): how would I go about doing it in Linux Mint Debian?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: How do I hide the GRUB menu in Linux Mint Debian?

Post by richyrich »

Install startupmanager via Synaptic Package Manager. Then run the Startup-Manager program from the Menu and set the Timeout to zero.
headkase

Post by headkase »

Thank you, setting time-out to 0 immediately boots the kernel. However, either tapping rapidly or holding left-shift on-boot does not pause the boot to be able to select the recovery mode if need be. Is left-shift the correct key to be pressing or am I missing something?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I've always had to solidly hold down the shift key . . no let-ups , to get it.
headkase

Post by headkase »

Ok, I couldn't get either shift-key to work so I just set the GRUB timeout to be 3 seconds. It was originally 5.

I must be able to select the recovery option so I guess I'm just going to have to have 3 seconds: you never know when your system is going to break and you need the recovery entry.

Return to “LMDE Archive”