LMDE - some programs installed to /opt ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
shalom938
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE - some programs installed to /opt ?

Post by shalom938 »

I usually mount /opt to a drive I partition I have with all kind of stuff like my projects etc.
Today I install LMDE, then while creating a shortcut to thunderbird on my top panel I noticed that thunderbird is installed to /opt/thunderbird and /usr/bin/thunderbird is a link ??
shalom@shalom-laptop ~ $ ls -la /usr/bin/thunderbird
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Apr 15 08:55 /usr/bin/thunderbird -> /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird

then I noticed that there are other things in /opt like a folder named /opt/kde3 with bin,lib and lib64 under it,
a folder named /opt/debian with some deb files under it, a folder named mint-flashplugin-x64 ,

I wonder how did this happen? I never had the OS installing files to /opt, Usually I have a dual boot where both OS mount this drive to /opt, now my /opt has mint specific files in it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: LMDE - some programs installed to /opt ?

Post by AlbertP »

/opt is treated as a 'Program Files' folder by some programs, e.g. Google programs and OpenOffice downloaded from its website (OpenOffice from the repository installs somewhere else, Google Earth from there may also do this).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
amina

Post by amina »

I useed to have the problem with Firefox that I could not start it with Run (Alt + F2). I found that Firefox was started from /opt...
I had to create a symlink so that the Run dialog box finds it ($PATH issue?).
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

Basically and from what I can gather, /opt is used if you're installing something that is 'non-standard' to the main distro. In this case, since Debian's standard browser is iceweasel, a re-branded Firefox (which I'm using atm) and not the standard or Mint-y Firefox, the Mint version is in /opt. I just did a search and found this article: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10704 it discusses using /opt vs /usr/local.
shalom938
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shalom938 »

Yes, I just realized that after I wrote this post that thunderbird and firefox installed to /opt because they are not officially debian, personally I prefer third party to /usr/local.

Return to “LMDE Archive”