[solved] configuration of an ' 3G+ HSPA USB Modem ' ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
casey972oo

[solved] configuration of an ' 3G+ HSPA USB Modem ' ?

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ... everybody ! ...

have a problem .. with an ' USB-Key-Modem ' ... from ' Digicel ' ! .. ' 3G+ ' Internet-Connection ' ! ...
need some information about configuration ! ...

this is a ' ALCATEL One Touch X225L ' ... for a ' GSM-mobilephone-connection ' ! ... or UMTS ! ... with ' HSPA USB Modem ' ! ...
which I did buy from ' Digicel ' here on Martinique ! ...
now I'm kind o' stucked ... of course ... this Key works just (automaticly) with ' Windows ' or ' MacOS ' ! ...

so far .. I found out .. there is an ' Modem ' ... already in LINUX ... which just needed the configuration ' manuell ' ! ...
but how to do this ? ... that's my Question ! ...

or does it just don't work with LINUX ? ...

my ' Service Provider ' ? ... is .. ' Digicel ' ! ...
my country ? ... Martinique ! .. is not in the list ! ...
my mode of payment ? ... is ' recharge ' ... like with a ' mobile-phone ' ! ...
APN-point ? ... is .. ' web.digicelfr.com ! ...

but this don't connect ! ... even when there are 15,- € ' recharge ' on my account .. what is good for 3 hour's of ' internet-connection ' ! ...

hope somebody knows something about this problem ...
thanks for any answer ... or any idea ... how to solve this problem ! ...

casey972oo

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: configuration of an ' 3G+ HSPA USB Modem ' ? .. don't k

Post by dawgdoc »

Casey,

You may have stumbled upon the solution without realizing it. I have seen a number of posts regarding similar problems. The fix is usually to install usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data. It may work with not other configuration. You may have to restart. Or, you may have to configure the modem after booting into windows. This varies a bit depending upon the device. If it does not work automatically after installing the packages and a reboot, then search these forums for modeswitch.
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Hi casey,
I don't know if you've tried this already, but generally installing your usb 3G data card is very simple. you start your computer and after logging in, you plug it in and wait for a couple of minutes. you will get a notification saying that network is not connected or something. This will appear on the top right hand side of your screen but will take some time. when this happens, right click on the network manager (if you are using mint 9 or 10 this will be the two computers superimposed on each other) icon on the taskbar. right click>edit connections>mobile broadband>add. This will open up another installer which will usually have your device listed. from there you just follow directions, in the sense that you choose the country, service provider, apn etc. then you click on finish. the reason why you wait around for the notification, is that unless you do this when you open the installer, your device will not be recognized.
Once this is done, you once again right click on the network manager icon>enable mobile broadband. Wait a couple of seconds and then left click on the same icon. You will find the different connections available to you one of which will be the 3G. Choose this and you should be able to connect.
There is another way too, and that is to uninstall the application that installed into your windows when you plugged it in. after this when you plug in the modem once again, you have a couple of seconds to open my computer, navigate to the 3g card, and if you double click on it, it will open to show you some files. you have to copy these to the desktop immediately. if your card is compatible with linux the files will tell you inside how you can install the app in linux. the only problem with this is that you have maybe 3 seconds before windows starts installing the software, so you have to be a little quick.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi ! ... ' Inkit ' ! ...

thanks for your reponse ! ... and instructions ... but this is exactly what I have done ! ...

it's not the problem ... how to setup the modem ! ...
is the problem of ... how to fix the right configurationn of the connection ? ... I know it will work with LINUX ! ...

I got allready the connection to my ' service-provider ' ! ... but they don't connect me to internet ! ...
and this guy ... from ' Service apré Vent ' ... don't know it eather ! ...

here are my specifications ! ....
service-provider is .. ' Digicel ! ...
my country ' Martinique ' ... ' is not in the list ' ! ....
phone-number is .. ' *99+ ' ! ... (that's what he told me) ! ...
APN accsesspoint is .. ' web.digicelfr.com ' ...
mode of payment is .. ' not in the list ' ! ...

I also did create a connection with the phone-number ... o696 79 o2 4o ! ... (what is my phone-number) ! ...
but nothing did work ! ... just once ! ... we got connected to internet ! ... after that .. it didn't connect no more ! ...

I think those guy's from ' Digicel ' might fix this configuration ! ... but how ? ...

" wait a minute ! .. something's wrong ! " ... (like Jimmy Hendrix is singing) ! ...

casey972oo

casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

dawgdoc wrote:Casey,

You may have stumbled upon the solution without realizing it. I have seen a number of posts regarding similar problems. The fix is usually to install usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data. It may work with not other configuration. You may have to restart. Or, you may have to configure the modem after booting into windows. This varies a bit depending upon the device. If it does not work automatically after installing the packages and a reboot, then search these forums for modeswitch.
Hi ! ... ' dawgdoc ' ! ...

I know ! ... this USB-Key will work automatically with ' Windows ' ... or ' MacOS ' ! ...
even with ' wine ' it don't work ! ... did try everything ... but this what you've bin telling me now ! ...
will look for some more info about ' usb-modeswitch ' ! ... and ' usb-modeswitch-data ' ! ...
anyway ! ... thanks for this idea ! ...

casey972oo
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hallo ! ... ' dawgdoc ' ! ...

was looking in my ' synapic-package-manager ' ! ... about ' usb-modeswitch ' ... and ' usb-modeswitch-data ' ! ...
they are allready installed ! ...

casey972oo
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

See if this post and others in the same thread are of any help http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 34#p348294

According to some posters, these modems are sometimes detected as storage devices.
While you have the modem plugged in, paste the results from this terminal command back here:

Code: Select all

lsusb
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

dawgdoc wrote:See if this post and others in the same thread are of any help http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 34#p348294

According to some posters, these modems are sometimes detected as storage devices.
While you have the modem plugged in, paste the results from this terminal command back here:

Code: Select all

lsusb
Hi ! ... 'dawgdoc ' ! ...

the answer is ! ...

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1bbb:0017 T & A Mobile Phones
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b175 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

the ' T & A Mobile Phones ' is my ' USB-Stick ' ! ...

casey972oo
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

At least you are able to get :0017 which seems to be a problem for some users. This means usb_modeswitch works and has turned the modem on.
I can't find a solution on Google, only threads about connections which work only once.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi ! ... ' AlbertP ' ! ...

did you find my thread on ' Google ' too ? ....
it's there also ! ...

but I found a producer from China ! ... who produces a Modem which works also with LINUX ! ...

it's called ... ' MU510D HSPA USB Modem ' ! ... from ' Startcom ' ! ... in ' .cn '
I allready send a message ... to ask ! ... where to get this modem around in here ? .. on Martinique ? ...

but they didn't answer jet ! ...

thanks for your replay ! ...

casey972oo

Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Hi Casey,
I was out of touch because my net was down for a couple of days. Anyway I use a Chinese made router that has the ability to take a usb doggle and it works fine in mint. In fact I think that one of the reasons why it is so cheap, (it costs only around $75 while the branded ones cost more than $200 here) is that it runs on linux firmware. In any case if you want to get a modem it is a good idea, especially as you can share the internet connection.
Comming back to the basic question, I don't know if you've tried using the network manager itself. You don't have to install any packages. Just go to add new connection, but you have an option saying, "my country is not listed" under countries. if you click that, you can enter in your service provider's name as well as apn in the next few screens. when you click on finish, you'll get another pop up window in which you will have to enter in your dial out number under "Basic". click apply, right click on the network manager icon>enable mobile broadband. Left click on network manager and choose the connection and you should be able to connect.
As you have found out yourself, the modeswitch package is installed already, and you don't have to install it. using the network manager is generally more than sufficient. In fact the first time I started on mint a year back, I tore my hair out for a month before I managed to get my 3g card running. now I can do it in less than 5 minutes, because I found that mint has everything in it by default. it is only a matter of you going and putting in the details, like your service providers name and the number to dial out.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi ! ... ' inkit ' ! ...

there is nothing new ! ... in your message ! ... what I haven't tried out allready ! ...
I used the ' network-manager ' ! ... and you can reread my ' specifications ' ! ... which I did on Post already ! ...

I did create different ' connexions ' ! ... to ... ' DIGICEL GSM FR ' ! ...
but non of them gave me the connection to internet ! ...

I don't know by now ! ... did talk to somebody from ' ALCATEL-Mobilephones ' ! ... and ...
they are pretty bussy ... will call back tomorow ! ... to find out what's all about !...

see you tomorow ! ...

casey972oo

casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hallo ... ' dawgdoc ' ! ...

did read something about ... http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/ ! ...

and found some info about ... ' Sakis3G ' ! ...
for everybody ! ... go see ... http://sakis.tel4u.gr/blog/sakis3g/ ! ...

wich is a programm for LINUX to do automatically settings of ' usb-modeswitch ' ! ...
I still wait for some answer of my questions ! ... but I think it will work it over ! ...

I'm waiting hopefully ! ... thanks for your info ! ...

casey972oo

dawgdoc

Re: [solved] configuration of an ' 3G+ HSPA USB Modem ' ?

Post by dawgdoc »

I am glad you were able to get it working without having to buy the second USB modem.

good job.

Return to “Beginner Questions”