Post bugs in Daryna beta 021 here

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

rootkowski wrote:I can also say that tracker does find things but it's really tough for the cpu (ok, i have only amd64 3200+).

I'm very thankful for the script. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks that it should work. Anyway, my concern was (new) users who are not accustomed to scripts and prefer doing things visually, like with beryl manager. Perhaps it's a thing for the compiz team to solve.
And once again thanks for the script ;-)
TYhe release notes tell you that Appearance Preferences has the settings to enable Compiz Fusion.
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_b21.php
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have tried everything I can think of to be able to load the desktop after logging off and back on, no luck at all...

The only thing I know is that it is related to gnome settings manager.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Hi folks,
I have noticed a little bug(?) in Daryna that is also present in Celena and probably was in Cassandra. It shows up on two similar computers, one running in English, the other in German.

The bug: With correctly configured Xorg, and with the box "Screen Resolution Preferences" showing, the slowest selectable refresh rate produces the fastest refresh rate on screen. And also the other way round: The fastest rate chosen in the box makes the actual on-screen refresh rate become the slowest.
The box shows a total of five refresh rates that can be chosen, and the same applies to intermediate rates. Example: the second fastest chosen produces the second slowest rate on screen.

Both computers here show this performance with Daryna and Celena. They both have Athlon XP CPU's, one each 17" Samsung Syncmaster 700s Monitor, and both have Nvidia AGP cards running with "nvidia" drivers. The Nvidia cards are one MX440, and the other PC with Geforce 6200. The Xorg.conf of this one reads:

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200]"
Driver "nvidia"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Horizsync 30-69
Vertrefresh 50-160
Displaysize 347 260
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Regards,
Helmut
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Xanikseo
I will definitely check it out. Thanks for pointing it put :)

merlwiz79
You cannot see it but i am blushing. :oops:
Of course! There are even a few levels of effects to enable. Thanks for opening my eyes :)

Helmut
I have noticed something similar in Cassandra, Celena, and Daryna. I have an tft 1280x1024 75Hz max. As soon as I install nvidia drivers all refresh rates I see are 50 Hz and 56 Hz. It's crazy. I don't even know for sure what refresh rate my screen runs on 'cos "Screen Resolution" shows 56Hz and nvidia settings 75 (or auto). Since I noticed the thing I added to xorg.conf refresh rate beside the default resolution: 1280x1024_75
hoping that would force 75Hz refresh. Still the Screen Resolution shows 56Hz. Anyway, before installing nvidia drivers the Screen Resolution detects refresh rates as it should.

Cheers
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

exploder wrote:I have tried everything I can think of to be able to load the desktop after logging off and back on, no luck at all...

The only thing I know is that it is related to gnome settings manager.
Odd... I just discovered it works for me, but only once. I can log out, and then log back in with no problems. After that clicking on Quit in the menu does nothing. The log-out/shut-down option box will not re-open. I can still shut down or restart via the terminal, though.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Lolo Uila wrote:
exploder wrote:I have tried everything I can think of to be able to load the desktop after logging off and back on, no luck at all...
I think it will appear, but you have to wait a long time ! (for me it's about 50s)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@9812713: You can make your own icon themes for Mintupdate; they can look exactly as you've described. It's fairly easy to take a base icon and add the desired symbols and colors (if you're even moderately adept with Gimp.) I've created several icon themes for Mintupdate; you can find them in the 'Other Artwork' section. If you're not comfortable making your own themes, tell me what sort of base icon you're interested in (base icon being the lock icon in the default icon theme) and I'll see if I can create a theme you'll be pleased with. Cheers!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have discoverd some information on the logging back in bug!

When I log back in the panel appears after a short time but the wallpaper may take 5 minutes to come up. Also, no length of time brings back right click mouse actions.

If I log back in, open the terminal, type sudo nautilus and enter my password everything comes up. Desktop icons appear even though I have them unchecked in mint-desktop.If I close nautilus and the terminal my right click mouse ability is gone.

How are these things related? There must be a solution to this bug.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

It's a bug in Ubuntu, not Mint. See Clem's post about it here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4&start=60

Yet another reason to keep using Cassandra/Celena. Not to dis Clem. His work on Daryna is stellar as always. This isn't his fault. Gutsy is just not ready for prime-time.

Aloha, Tim
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have resolved the logon problem. I reinstalled the beta, removed the residual config files and updated with ONLY the updates shown in the mint update tool. I can log off and back on without any problem now!

I must have messed up something or installed something I should not have installed.

If you are having the same loogon issue you might want to try the same thing.

Edit: Shutdown problem is still there.
Last edited by exploder on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

envy and x-server

Post by neo67 »

hi,

i try to install nvidia-driver with envy. But it's end with the error: X-Server is running...can not install driver etc.
I login to a console via ALt+F1 and kill all x-server processes and gdm's and then I ran the newest nvidia driver from nvidia.com.
After update linuxmint, I have to to this again. Is it possible to untouch a changed xorg.conf?

And the problem of envy: I think envy must kill the xserver, switch to console and install the nvida driver and start die xserver again.
The nvidia driver is not able to install as long as the xserver is running. I think he looks on the lock file from the xserver.

Greetz
neo67
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

neo67: are you using the latest envy? (upgrade from the repository, the one coming with the beta is not good.).

Clem
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

Helmut wrote:Hi folks,
I have noticed a little bug(?) in Daryna that is also present in Celena and probably was in Cassandra. It shows up on two similar computers, one running in English, the other in German.

The bug: With correctly configured Xorg, and with the box "Screen Resolution Preferences" showing, the slowest selectable refresh rate produces the fastest refresh rate on screen. And also the other way round: The fastest rate chosen in the box makes the actual on-screen refresh rate become the slowest.
The box shows a total of five refresh rates that can be chosen, and the same applies to intermediate rates. Example: the second fastest chosen produces the second slowest rate on screen.

Both computers here show this performance with Daryna and Celena. They both have Athlon XP CPU's, one each 17" Samsung Syncmaster 700s Monitor, and both have Nvidia AGP cards running with "nvidia" drivers. The Nvidia cards are one MX440, and the other PC with Geforce 6200. The Xorg.conf of this one reads:

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200]"
Driver "nvidia"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Horizsync 30-69
Vertrefresh 50-160
Displaysize 347 260
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Regards,
Helmut
Sorry, I must ask Helmut in german language.
Hallo Helmut, wie meinst Du das? Verstehe ich nicht ganz...

Aber was anders, ich habe auch eine 6200er Nvidia, welche FPS hast Du, wenn du glxgears laufen lässt. Meine Rate scheint mir zu niedrig zu sein.

Gruß
neo67
LinuxMintUsers.De
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

clem wrote:neo67: are you using the latest envy? (upgrade from the repository, the one coming with the beta is not good.).

Clem
Hi clem,

okay...no, I have used the "old" one, because I think, it's recommend to use only mintupdate???

Edit:

I have read at this page:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
that mint is uptodate with the nvidia driver, so I don't have to run envy. The only one to do, is activate the driver at the restricted driver dialog, right?
LinuxMintUsers.De
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You should get the new envy by using mintupdate... the version of envy installed by default in this beta is outdated. It's in the release notes..

Clem.
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

clem wrote:You should get the new envy by using mintupdate... the version of envy installed by default in this beta is outdated. It's in the release notes..

Clem.
yes, but must I run envy? Because, I remeber, when I boot daryna the first time, the reminder start to inform me, that restricted driver (nvida) are able to use, but not activated. I only have to check the bottun to activate this.
?
LinuxMintUsers.De
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well it's up to you. I'd personally try the restricted manager first and if I was happy with it I wouldn't go any further, but some people might want a newer version of the driver than provided by the restricted manager or they might simply want to still be using envy. The choice is yours basically. Depending on your hardware one tool might do a better job than the other.

Clem
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

neo67 requested this reply in German concerning wrong refresh rates :
Hallo Helmut, wie meinst Du das? Verstehe ich nicht ganz...
Nun, genau wie gesagt: 1.) Die Xorg.conf ist 100% korrekt eingestellt, siehe Beitrag weiter vorn.
2.) Das Dialogfenster "Bildschirmauflösung" lässt verschiedene Auflösungen und Wiederholraten wählen. Wähle ich die langsamste, bekomme ich die schnellste. Wähle ich die zweit-langsamste, bekomme ich die zweitschnellste, etc. aber auch umgekehrt. Die schnellste gewählt - die langsamste kommt. Vermutlich ist es (von Ubuntu oder nvidia?) geerbt. Fehler tritt auf an mehreren PC alle mit NvidiaGFX, egal ob Daryna oder Celena.
Gruß, Helmut
Last edited by Helmut on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

clem wrote:Well it's up to you. I'd personally try the restricted manager first and if I was happy with it I wouldn't go any further, but some people might want a newer version of the driver than provided by the restricted manager or they might simply want to still be using envy. The choice is yours basically. Depending on your hardware one tool might do a better job than the other.

Clem
Okay. I have now, after update the system via mintupdate, start envy and it's downloading and making and and...:-) and it's okay. My FPS is a liitle bit lower then bevor. But if I install the nvidia driver from nvidia.com manually, after reboot, the driver was not present and xorg switch to vesa mode.

Now after reboot, xorg is running well. I think, we are able to tweak a little bit on the xorg.conf like:
Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" # increase 3D Beschleunigung
Option "AGPMode" "1/2/4/8" # AGP Speed/Bios!
Option "AGPSize" "32/64/128" # manually AGP RAM
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" # Optimizing 2D speed
Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
Option "ColorTiling" "on"
Option "FBTexPercent" "95"
I will test this. :)

Kind Regards
neo67
Last edited by neo67 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxMintUsers.De
Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wh1sper »

Helmut wrote:neo67 requested this reply in German concerning wrong refresh rates :

2.) Das Dialogfenster "Bildschirmauflösung" lässt verschiedene Auflösungen und Wiederholraten wählen. Wähle ich die langsamste, bekomme ich die schnellste. Wähle ich die zweit-langsamste, bekomme ich die zweitschnellste, etc. aber auch umgekehrt. Die schnellste gewählt - die langsamste kommt. Vermutlich ist es von Ubuntu oder nvidia geerbt. Fehler tritt auf an mehreren PC alle mit NvidiaGFX.
Gruß, Helmut
Stimmt, ist mir bei ubuntu 7.10 auch aufgefallen, ich habe 2 Rechner damit ausgestattet, beide mit nvidia, beide zeigten im menü andere refreshzeiten, als der monitor an.
eng: correct, I recently installed two pc with ubuntu 7.10 both of them are equipped with a nvidia card both of them shows in menu different refresh rate than the monitor itself reports
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/

Return to “Releases & Announcements”