how do I install a "simple" program?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krymz

how do I install a "simple" program?

Post by krymz »

hello, I guess you can't get more of a newbie question then the one that I am about to ask;

How do you install a program you just downloaded from the net?

I just downloaded PCSX, a ps1 emulator, but i just don't know what to do to install the program or where the installation icon is hiding.

Thanks. it's kind of hard to use a OS when you can't install anything (other then with the software manager)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: how do I install a "simple" program?

Post by Habitual »

krymz

Post by krymz »

thanks, but did not really find what i was looking for... anything else?
orrebo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by orrebo »

What kind of file is it?

Sent from my U8100 using Tapatalk
Striker

Post by Striker »

Well, to get on the same page as you, I don't want to assume anything. So, what is the complete filename of the pcsx file you downloaded. We need to know that first. Then we can go from there.
Dajunka

Post by Dajunka »

Over my short period of using linux, I have learned that if there are no specific instructions on how to install the program from the programs site itself, or if it is not listed in software manager or packet manager, then leave well alone.

It will only cause you pain. :)

You can always use a equivalent from the software manager, Linux Mint has some excellent utility's.
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

In general, if you download a software for linux from the internet, you need to read the README file inside.

As for your PCSX, it seems:
- to be very, very old
- you just need to unzip/extract it, then run './pcsx' in terminal
- you need BIOS file (I have no idea what that is)

Regards,
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Most software has a README or INSTALL text file (you might need to specify a program (Gedit for example) to open it), with instructions. When it's a tar file, usually you'll have to do some command-line work.
The usual commands are: cd to directory (in Mint right-click the Nautilus file explorer window > open in terminal), ./configure, make (don't run as root when the readme does not ask for it), and sudo make install (here most programs need the sudo or being root).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
krymz

Post by krymz »

pcsxr_1.9.92-1_i386.deb
application, 875K, uploaded Aug 5 2010 - 4104 downloads
from http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/releases/view/50048

here is the read me file i found, hidden in a folder deep in there. i had already unzipped the original package, this i know how to do, but it results in a folder with two folders, 1 DEBIAN and the other usr, which has its own folders of its own too...

"PCSX-Reloaded
-------------------------------

PCSX-Reloaded is a forked version of the dead PCSX emulator, with a nicer
interface and several improvements to stability and functionality.

PCSX-Reloaded uses the PSEMU plugin interface to provide most functionality;
without them, you will not be able to use it to play games. PCSX-Reloaded
provides a number of plugins to provide basic functionality out of the box.

PCSX-Reloaded has a very capable Internal HLE BIOS that can run many games
without problems. It is recommended that you use it. However, if you own a
real PlayStation, you may be able to use your own BIOS image. PCSX-Reloaded
will find it in ~/.pcsx/bios/ or /usr/share/psemu/bios/ if you place it there.
This can improve compatibility, especially with certain games and with the
use of memory cards.

See the doc/ folder in the source, or /usr/share/doc/pcsx/ on Debian systems,
for more detailed information on PCSX-Reloaded. A UNIX manpage is also
available."

thanks, elisa, il try to find sometime after school to look at those forum (im on my lunch break)
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

It's a .deb file, a standard package file, much like a Windows installer file. Open Nautilus, the file manager, go to the file, right-click on it, and select Open with Gdebi package installer. That should install the package for you, and maybe (I don't know about that specific package) put an icon in the main menu somewhere.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

sgosnell wrote:It's a .deb file, a standard package file, much like a Windows installer file. Open Nautilus, the file manager, go to the file, right-click on it, and select Open with Gdebi package installer. That should install the package for you, and maybe (I don't know about that specific package) put an icon in the main menu somewhere.
Just click (or doubleclick) The package and linux does the job .. :lol:

I´m using Mandriva right now (rpm package) .. :wink:
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

krymz wrote:pcsxr_1.9.92-1_i386.deb
application, 875K, uploaded Aug 5 2010 - 4104 downloads
from http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/releases/view/50048
here is the read me file i found, hidden in a folder deep in there. i had already unzipped the original package, this i know how to do, but it results in a folder with two folders, 1 DEBIAN and the other usr, which has its own folders of its own too...
That wasn't your original question..
Would also have helped if you gave the link from which you downloaded, or said it is a source file *.tgz or *.tar

http://www.pcsx.net/
  • PlayStation Emulation for the PC
    hi everyone, long time since i posted anything, also i haven't coded for pcsx in some months, i don't have the time anymore, due to pcsx2, work, life and so on... i'll still be around, so if somebody wants to continue our work in pcsx you can drop me a mail (linuzappz@hotmail.com) or contact me on #pcsx2 (#Efnet), you can grab the latest beta sources at the downloads page, but don't ask what's new in there, i don't remember anymore
Ok, so you have a newer application
krymz

Post by krymz »

hi, back for more after a while. I'm going to ask a simple question.

i got this game file from http://www.savage2.com/en/download.php (by clicking on the linux 32bit) and got a .bin file. I thought it might be an image file but when i mount it it dosent do a thing. so what do i do?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Make it executable and run it.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

.bin and .run are installer files that work on all distros: kind of .msi for Linux. .bin is binary, .run has a shellscript to install. Both can be used the same way: just make it executable (right-click > Properties > Rights), and then double-click the file. If a dialog with 4 buttons appears, click the left-most option 'execute in terminal'.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
krymz

Post by krymz »

AlbertP wrote:.bin and .run are installer files that work on all distros: kind of .msi for Linux. .bin is binary, .run has a shellscript to install. Both can be used the same way: just make it executable (right-click > Properties > Rights), and then double-click the file. If a dialog with 4 buttons appears, click the left-most option 'execute in terminal'.
Thnaks, but that didnot work, unfortunatly.

sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

You need to right-click and select Run, or else run it from a terminal. Most .run files run better in a terminal than in a gui. In order to run it with a double-click, you have to have the proper associations set up in Nautilus.
krymz

Post by krymz »

and how do i run a file in terminal? go in terminal and type

run:path of file

?
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

krymz wrote:and how do i run a file in terminal? go in terminal and type

run:path of file

?
Several ways, but the easiest way is to just select run in terminal once it is set as executable.

Or once it is installed , use alt F2 and check the box to run in terminal. You can add sudo to the start of it to run as root.

Return to “Beginner Questions”