Linuxmint 11 beta's..???

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pmolina

Linuxmint 11 beta's..???

Post by pmolina »

are there any Beta's for mint 11..? id love to get my hands on one if there is... iv'e been having to re-do my machine but have been holding off until mint11 is released...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Linuxmint 11 beta's..???

Post by ThistleWeb »

Mint doesn't release betas. The first you'll see is a RC, probably a few days after Ubuntu 11.04 final is released. It may be longer this time around with Ubuntu moving to Unity this time, and Mint not following suit.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Most of the beta-testing work is done by Ubuntu, so Mint does not have to do that. But Ubuntu has a busy time investigating the power management regression in the 2.6.38 kernel.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

are you really in a rush to try it ? :) install mint10, fully update it, and then change the source.list (julia to katya and maverick to natty), update again, and there you have the first pre-beta, broken atm :lol:
basically is just yet Mint10 with some upgraded pkgs but as soon as the broken interdependences between compiz and the mint meta pkgs are solved we can see some shape of mint11 8)

disclaimer: dont try this in a production machine, it's alpha software, can eat your hamster
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Mint 11 will be released when it is ready.. The mint team takes, an estimate, a month to check the many bugs that can be found on Ubuntu 11.04 so its better to wait for a month or so before trying to test ubuntu 11.04
Fentanyl

Post by Fentanyl »

Ubuntu 11.04 is out, so i guess Mint 11 will be around soon :)
Jix

Post by Jix »

I don't think Mint 11 will be out as quickly after Ubuntu because Unity is a huge leap. I read horror stories about Ubuntu 11.4. Gonna try it today and see if it was worth the wait. I'm worried my notebook won't be able to handle this new OS aimed at "notebooks"...
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

no problems with 11.04 running on kernel 2.6.39rc4 on Asus UL50vt laptop

love the search fantastic idea but the dock is rather annoying to use as im use to seeing what apps are running in the window lister in the bottom panel.

the brown (theme) if find, is, rather ok and easy on the eyes and the over all feel feels great. enjoying the expo and virtual screens selection, but at this stage really dislike the dock. i used it for a little while but constantly log into the gnome classic desktop.

but over all, im impressed with it and would definitely recommend it
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Is the kernel 2.6.39rc4 better on power usage? If so, lets hope it makes it's way into the next Mint release. I got about a 2-3 month wait so I'm not in much of a hurry. KDE rocks :)
Jix

Post by Jix »

Well, Ubuntu 11.4 installed and runs without any problems. It's a bit slow graphically and eats power like a *#*@% but that's expected on my laptop and Linux. I am quite impressed with it. They let you put folders and files on the desktop (yay!). One thing that bugs me is in Places it doesn't show my partitions/drives. I have to open a folder to see my D: on the left side of the folder window. I don't like playing hide-and-seek with my drives.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Clem isn't likely to change the kernel and move away from the one offered in the stable Ubuntu release, there are tons of reasons for this but I'll not elaborate (I did this with Peppermint and almost killed myself with the added workload).
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

yes i have found that the latest kernel (2.6.39rc4) did help with power usage and so far all devices(anything plugged in - works) and components (blue tooth - wifi) work with out any hickups - all apps are running sweet and had no crashes (so far, touch wood) on my laptop (asus ul50vt)

wonder if gnome 3 will be as smooth - but really love the search bar (located on the top left corner - ubuntu logo) as its extremly handy.

this site has some real useful tweaks and add ons for ubuntu in general - has to be the best ubuntu hack site on the web imho

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/webupd8/ ... dium=email
Last edited by ibm450 on Sun May 01, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Easy Now

Post by Easy Now »

give the team this weekend and Mint 11 will be available next week!
stasike

Post by stasike »

I have tried installing Ubuntu 11.04
The installer crashes when you have FreeBSD partition present on disk. It fails to mount the partition and crashes.
Unfortunately there is no possibility to say "Do not attempt to migrate my data from other Operating systems" during install.
alcamus

Post by alcamus »

I can be patient. Right now Linux Mint 10 runs flawlessly on my machine; I was able to iron out some issues with Dell's hardware early on, and now everything works. I set up Natty on another machine and it was still quite buggy (irritating fit and finish issues, mainly, like a white cursor in DMZ black), so I figure a little time won't do anything but improve it. I'm looking forward to Katya, but I'd rather have a solid distribution that won't compromise my productivity than a hastily released edition that I have to spend days (or weeks) tweaking.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

stasike wrote:I have tried installing Ubuntu 11.04
The installer crashes when you have FreeBSD partition present on disk. It fails to mount the partition and crashes.
Unfortunately there is no possibility to say "Do not attempt to migrate my data from other Operating systems" during install.
I tried installing the 64bit version on both my laptop and netbook with wiped hard drives 6 times each and the installer crashed every time. Even checked the Md5 of the iso and burned several CD's and DVD's at different speeds and what not. The 32bit version installs fine on either. Had to install 10.10 64bit and upgrade through it to get a working 64bit 11.04 on my netbook.(not really impressed with Unity. It's going bye bye as soon as Mint 11 comes out) And went back to Mint 9 on my laptop. One more reason I'm against absolutely rigid release dates. QA takes a backseat.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

pmolina wrote:are there any Beta's for mint 11..? id love to get my hands on one if there is... iv'e been having to re-do my machine but have been holding off until mint11 is released...
linux mint 11 rc should be out early next week
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

LinuxMint-11 was released as an RC today, can be found here > http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1746

The Final version should be released before the end of May 2011.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”