[Solved] Did ufw kill my internet connection?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
feodor
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Did ufw kill my internet connection?

Post by feodor »

Hi

I hope somebody will be able to help me: I have suddenly lost my internet connection.

I am running Mint 9 KDE and until this morning without any problems. Today the internet connection is not working. The connection seems to be fine (the right IP address, DNS servers, everything seems perfectly normal) but I cannot connect using my browser or my mail client. I have windows XP and mint 8 on this machine as well and in both the internet is working flawlessly.

My only idea about what might be wrong is that I enabled ufw when I was last logged in. Can it be ufw that is denying me access? If so, how do I fix it? I have tried to turn it off (sudo ufw disable) and sudo ufw status returns that it is "inactive" (even before I disable) so what else can I do?

Or is there something else that I am missing?

Feodor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: Did ufw kill my internet connection?

Post by lmintnewb »

Would think something else ya missing. Though not sure what. Unless you set up that firewall to deny outgoing connections too. You'd have had to check a box for that I'm sure. Have it running with Mint 10 and no problems at all.

You'd have had to go out of your way to set the outgoing connections to deny or reject. Could check it I guess. Though as mentioned don't think it's the firewall.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Mon May 02, 2011 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr.m0x

Post by Dr.m0x »

I'd be surprised if it were related to ufw but could you please run this command and post the output?

Code: Select all

sudo iptables -nL
Bear in mind that ufw is just a configuration tool for iptables. The above command will show us what is going on with your iptables policy.
feodor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by feodor »

Thanks for the quick replies. Heres the output from sudo iptables -nL

Code: Select all

output removed 
Feodor
feodor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Did ufw kill my internet connection? [Solved]

Post by feodor »

Problem solved. It wasn't ufw that did it to me but guarddog. On first use, guarddog apparently shuts down all types of traffic in or out. I have now solved my immediate problem by opening all I could think of might be necessary for me in guarddog; I have web and mail back.

I will mark this a solved, but if anybody has any idea of what would be sensible to have enabled or disabled in Guarddog, I am all ears.

Thank you, Dr.m0x and Imintnewb, for trying to help
lmintnewb

Re: [Solved] Did ufw kill my internet connection?

Post by lmintnewb »

Just some random observations.

Linux is uber secure out of the box dude. Ya probably still getting over the M$ security paranoia shock. Thinking you have to have 2,234 sec apps running and updated at all times. Not so with your new OS. Just reenable ufw, set it to deny incoming connections and call it good.

Sheesh main reason linux users seem to install anti-vir progs is as a courtesy to Windows users. So as not to unintentionally spread an infected file to a windows comp. Even though the virus can't do anything to their system. Either that or so they can scan and fix friends/families virus/malware/spyware etc infections and get their M$ PC's clean again.
feodor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Did ufw kill my internet connection?

Post by feodor »

Guarddog kept blocking me, so I googled my way to this link http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67263 and was able to undo the damage (it seems/I hope).

Return to “Networking”