No more Xubuntu based Linux Mint Xfce.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

No more Xubuntu based Linux Mint Xfce.

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:The Xfce edition will continue on top of a Debian base. The features that were included in mintconfig-xfce and mintdesktop-xfce need to be included in mintdesktop. The new version of mintdesktop is now DE agnostic and features different tabs depending on which DE it is run on. By adding Xfce specifics tabs to it we can include the mintconfig-xfce and mindesktop-xfce features back into the edition.

I understand that a few people don't like the mainstream software selection and/or the switch to LMDE, but it was necessary to do this change and we won't be supporting Xfce on top of Ubuntu in the future. On the Mint 10 release cycle, we almost ran short and skipped this edition entirely. We simply don't have the manpower and the resources to guarantee the maintenance and so it's important for us to switch it to a rolling series and out of the release cycle. It also makes a lot of sense from a strategic point of view. It's likely Fluxbox and LXDE will switch as well.
jeffreyC

Re: No more Xubuntu based Linux Mint Xfce.

Post by jeffreyC »

I like the switch to Debian, the so-called mainstream software not nearly so much. Too often that is just follow along like everyone else, not better.
I expect Xfce to be faster, a lot faster not just a little, and lighter not because I need it but I do not like bloat.
paolone

Post by paolone »

I'm happy to read this .
I hope now a LMDE Fluxbox edition arrive soon :D
The LMDE XFCE editon is absolutely perfect and light !
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

The faster, the lighter and of course the Mint-iest, Debian-ized, Xfce-iest the better :D
Imhoteps

Post by Imhoteps »

Merl! Will you participate in the development of LMDE Xfce?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

The gnome apps are staying and I am not the one who is making it.
If i get to I'll test it to make sure it works better next time.

I'm not a big fan of using Debian.
It's just not as easy for new users to use.
The drivers and the localizations are harder to setup.
When the bugs are fixed the current release uses the same amount of RAM as Xubuntu.

I tried to port jockey-gtk(Hardware Drivers) but it won't compile.
I have no info on what python modules it uses.
Imhoteps

Post by Imhoteps »

merlwiz79 wrote:..I'm not a big fan of using Debian..
Same here. Weird, but I`ve never had such a good experience with any debianized Mint distro.
I`ve tried Xubuntu 11.04 yesterday - it`s crazy good piece of distro.
It`d be sad if team rejects your help. Not good for Mint-Xfce-project in it`s basics. Wasting of people resources IMHO. But well, time will show.
According you signature... I`m glad all is OK there with you and your family. Take care!
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Its a sad day for me. The reason why I used mint was due to Mint xfce,

LMDX (debian xfce) is a pain to use for newbies as constant updates resulting to breakages, which were fixed later, makes the user experience not good.

Its not like my opinion will affect the mint dev but still I have learned alot from using LMDX.
Raydog

Post by Raydog »

+1, It's a shame that Mint 10 Xfce could not have come about.

I am glad that things are looking better for you Merlwiz. :?:

As Imhoteps said Xubuntu "Natty" is an excellent Xfce distro, although it certainly lacks the Merlwiz polish! :(
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Raydog wrote:+1, It's a shame that Mint 10 Xfce could not have come about.

I am glad that things are looking better for you Merlwiz. :?:

As Imhoteps said Xubuntu "Natty" is an excellent Xfce distro, although it certainly lacks the Merlwiz polish! :(
Well the repo for Linux Mint Xfce 10 is still up and has the packages for it.
You just need to install them on top of Xubuntu 10.10.
rodrigosantellan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rodrigosantellan »

This is really a sad news for me.... I really like linux mint 9 xfce, is my favorite flavor....
Mel you have done a terrific job on that one. I try xubuntu 11.04 and is really good... But I have to configure tons of stuff just to have the default settings that I like (java, mediabuntu packages, 7zip, vlc, etc...)

Mel you said:
Well the repo for Linux Mint Xfce 10 is still up and has the packages for it.
You just need to install them on top of Xubuntu 10.10.
Is that possible with xubuntu 11.04?? What this packages add? And how can I do it?

Sorry to bother but I'm a totally newbie :D
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Xfce will never be automatically upgraded to 4.8 in Squeeze (Debian-Stable), because that would not be a "stable" Operating System . . . Imagine you are sitting in your office, rushing to meet a work deadline. Then someone runs in and pulls your desk out from under you; and says "it's time to upgrade to a new version of your desk!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The new Xfce-4.8 desktop is now in Debian's Testing repros . . . but, it is a major change and hassle to install it.
Because you must first remove/purge the existing Xfce-4.6 before you can install the new version.
This is very hard to do ... if you are using Xfce?

Trust me on this . . . I did it. :(
rekik

Post by rekik »

IMHO, Xubuntu (and especially 11.04 version) is a better base for Mint, and the sole argument that convinced me concerning the switch to Debian is this Clem's statement
In the long run, switching our alternative desktops to a rolling base also simplifies their maintenance
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Because you must first remove/purge the existing Xfce-4.6 before you can install the new version.
Why? :?:

I just did an upgrade, any possible problems?
coman norbert

Post by coman norbert »

Xubuntu 11.04 is very good, Xfce 4.8 is awesome, and LMDE Xfce is not my favorite. Is not as simple like Mint 9 Xfce, it's not good for me. Compiz fusion not working in this debian based edition.
I love Xfce, but not the debian based one.

@Merlwiz79
Try to make your own Ubuntu Xfce based distro, Kendall is make his own LXDE distro: PeppermintOS!

P.S. Sorry for my english.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Perhaps some sort of compromise could be reached, Mint XFCE is Debian based and rolling but a Xubuntu based version of Mint with XFCE could be made on top of every LTS version.

This way every two years you can have your Xubuntu based Mint XFCE and only then would the Mint devs have to work on it.
markie83

ia am loving this version so far :)

Post by markie83 »

just wanted to say this LMDE xfce has been awesome so far!

I have been up in the air for a while now with the unity gnome 3 nonsense going on.....not to mention all the radical changes at ubuntu. I used to roll my own ubuntu with the alternate command line net install but I tried it with natty and it still installed the ubuntu desktop.........they are smoking some good stuff over at cononical and I had to leave.

I love and have run debian before (I can do the codecs etc the hard way but who wants to mess with that) but the big show stopper was hardware on this laptop I am using right now.....I installed LMDE XFCE and EVERYTHING is working right out of the box (I did have to do their tip to get me touchpad working but that all I had to do).......GREAT job on this one.

last night I did the dist-upgrade to get xfce 4.8 and it went flawlessly......my only apprehension is the rolling release since I have never seriously used one for my native install but we will see how it goes.....I am tired of distro hopping every 6 months anyway.

BTW I use debian stable on my servers at work and curently opensuse 11.4 for my workstation so have been around the block a few times and I must say this distro IS the debian desktop done right!
Dry Lips

Post by Dry Lips »

nunol wrote:Perhaps some sort of compromise could be reached, Mint XFCE is Debian based and rolling but a Xubuntu based version of Mint with XFCE could be made on top of every LTS version.

This way every two years you can have your Xubuntu based Mint XFCE and only then would the Mint devs have to work on it.
I think that is a very good suggestion! :D

I'm really sad that the Ubuntu based version of Xfce is discontinued. I've also
had a few troubles with LMDE, and because of this I find it hard to recommend
LMDE Xfce to newcomers.

Could we please, please, please have the Ubuntu based Mint-Xfce back! A LTS based
release would be more than good enough!
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Dry Lips, Mint 9 Xfce is still available and it is a LTS version.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

If you want a Debian XFCE get SalineOS.

Return to “Xfce”