The Official UNOFFICIAL KMint 11 Kataya Request Thread

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

Re: The Official UNOFFICIAL KMint 11 Kataya Request Thread

Post by rec9140 »

andrew5859 wrote:I'm wondering if you've had a chance to look into that issue with the Alps P/S2 Dual Point Touchpad....I really like Mint, but if they don't (Devs, Canonical, etc.) fix this I'll have to go with something that is compatable with all the functions of my touchpad. You guys have done so well up to now with everything, but it seems that after version 9....they dropped the ball with functionality on certain things....this is very disappointing.
I am not finding any bug reports that match what you describe... although I see reports in re issues with the Alps devices... but nothing that matches... Best I can see is that there are issues with some of the things that the alps can do that were not taken in to account and cause some issues.. but again it doesn't match what you describe... so I can not pin point a fix.. other that the drivers for it and/or an X.ORG conf change.

Have you tried the kubunutu release ISO to see if it resolves the issues in Live mode? Then you will know if the issue has been resolved when Kataya comes a calling.... but I have no laptop or other device that uses alps and have not for a long time so I can not replicate this...
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

I'll check it out.....downloading the Kubuntu 11.04 right now.....I'll let you know once everything is complete
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Well.....I got Kubuntu burned to disc, booted up, got into main window and played with settings....but I still can't use my touchpad or the two buttons to resize the windows......ggggrrrrrrr :x

So it won't work right in kubuntu either, nor does it work with Mint 10....any ideas?
nomadewolf

Post by nomadewolf »

Just my two bucks bout how i think KDE 11 should be like:
- Updated KDE :D
- Lancelot Menu
- Songbird (just discovered this. it's sooo great!)
- No small bugs:
> Compressed Archives don't open directly from Firefox
> Opening Compressed Archives Opens a Second Folder with the name of the Archive...
> Can't drag files from archives directly into folder view

And PLEASE, take a look at OpenSuSE KDE! It's not as easy to use as Mint, and it is RPM based (lol), BUT the KDE Task Bar is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Even the Clock's Font is sooooooo cool!!! It's also thinner and streamlined.
The only way i think it could be improved is if the Windows in the task bar didn't take so much space... I mean, you open two windows and the whole taskbar is gone... Maybe a windows 7 like approach (i can't believe i'm saying this) in terms of space would work well...
kvv

Post by kvv »

nomadewolf wrote:Maybe a windows 7 like approach (i can't believe i'm saying this) in terms of space would work well...
No please. This is just like Unity panel but on the bottom. You can go to the taskbar properties, and force it to never group.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

nomadewolf wrote:Just my two bucks bout how i think KDE 11 should be like:
- Updated KDE :D
KMint 10 when it was released and the updated is already at the current KDE release level. It is upstream which is just catching up.
nomadewolf wrote:- Lancelot Menu
There is/was a bug which prevented it in the final ISO, but if you installed from the RC ISO you got it. Unless this bug has been corrected I doubt it makes to release.
nomadewolf wrote:- Songbird (just discovered this. it's sooo great!)
Ummm not a Linux program....
nomadewolf wrote: - No small bugs:
> Compressed Archives don't open directly from [censored]
inferior program not up to the task..The correct tool for the correct task(s) Konqueror is your file and web browser in KDE.
nomadewolf

Post by nomadewolf »

@9140

I know KDE already is up to date by default with every new release! But it's always a good thing. Just mentioning it...

I also know Lancelot was on KDE 10 RC. But you don't really expect me to use an RC... do you?

Yes, Songbird is a Linux program. It's not a QT program, but definitely a GTK Linux program.

I don't like Konqueror, i like Firefox. Thouhgt Linux was about freedom of choice...

I know i can set windows to not group. What i don't like is that the icons are too 'crude' and take up a lot of space. Even if i disable grouping. Check out SuSE and you'll see what i'm talking about.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

nomadewolf wrote:I also know Lancelot was on KDE 10 RC. But you don't really expect me to use an RC... do you?
Why not... the RC when update is the same as the final... I used the RC to do all installs and then updated from there.
nomadewolf wrote:Yes, Songbird is a Linux program. It's not a QT program, but definitely a GTK Linux program.
Don't see any downloads for Linux or support for Linux except in some off the wall back room ....

Oh... now I remeber why this stuck.. they dropped it....
http://blog.songbirdnest.com/2010/04/02 ... -new-tune/

Not Linux friendly, no thanks.
non_linux_os.png
nomadewolf

Post by nomadewolf »

rec9140 wrote:
nomadewolf wrote:I also know Lancelot was on KDE 10 RC. But you don't really expect me to use an RC... do you?
Why not... the RC when update is the same as the final... I used the RC to do all installs and then updated from there.
nomadewolf wrote:Yes, Songbird is a Linux program. It's not a QT program, but definitely a GTK Linux program.
Don't see any downloads for Linux or support for Linux except in some off the wall back room ....

Oh... now I remeber why this stuck.. they dropped it....
http://blog.songbirdnest.com/2010/04/02 ... -new-tune/

Not Linux friendly, no thanks.
non_linux_os.png
Weird. I thought i was able to install it directly from Main LM10 without adding any repos...
Last edited by nomadewolf on Thu May 05, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomadewolf

Post by nomadewolf »

Ah!
Just checked it out.
Songbird official linux support was dropped. BUT the source code is still available.
So, it's still very possible to get Songbird. It just doesn't have official support.

On upgrading KDE:
- The 'normal' release already has bugs.
- Upgrading from RC is not a choice...

Don't really understand why, since Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Mint Main all run flawlessly on my machine...
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

nomadewolf wrote:So, it's still very possible to get Songbird. It just doesn't have official support.
Non Linux friendly software, not worthy to be in a Linux distro, better projects out there which are 100% Linux only and worthy of support. This is not one of them.
nomadewolf wrote: On upgrading KDE:
If you install the RC and do all the updates is the same as the final version that was released. This may be YOUR choice not to use the RC... but a KMint RC v. another distro RC is pretty close to a GOLD release for most any other software. We plebes never get to test the alphas and betas before the RC release. Matter of fact thats the OFFICIAL KMint Policy to use the RC and update from there as it will be the same as the final, unless something major were to change and that rarely happens.

If your expecting software to be released with out bugs, then it will never get released. What are these bugs in KMint 10, aside from the above?
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

andrew5859 wrote:So it won't work right in kubuntu either, nor does it work with Mint 10....any ideas?
I've moved this to its own thread here:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=71923
nomadewolf

Post by nomadewolf »

rec9140 wrote:
nomadewolf wrote:So, it's still very possible to get Songbird. It just doesn't have official support.
Non Linux friendly software, not worthy to be in a Linux distro, better projects out there which are 100% Linux only and worthy of support. This is not one of them.
nomadewolf wrote: On upgrading KDE:
If you install the RC and do all the updates is the same as the final version that was released. This may be YOUR choice not to use the RC... but a KMint RC v. another distro RC is pretty close to a GOLD release for most any other software. We plebes never get to test the alphas and betas before the RC release. Matter of fact thats the OFFICIAL KMint Policy to use the RC and update from there as it will be the same as the final, unless something major were to change and that rarely happens.

If your expecting software to be released with out bugs, then it will never get released. What are these bugs in KMint 10, aside from the above?
For instance, i configure Kopete, and only works the first time.
After i reboot, it won't ever work again!!! I've tried installing pidgin, empathy, but didn't work either.
Flash doesn't work well (slowdown, flickering and frequent crashes).
Java also slow.
Although i set KDE to boot without asking my password at install time, it asks for it anyway everytime i reboot...

And many other little bugs i don't remember right now.
I know software is supposed to have bugs. I'm a programmer. But i don't think it's supposed to have the same bugs across several releases...
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

nomadewolf wrote:For instance, i configure Kopete, and only works the first time.
After i reboot, it won'hoistohistoryt ever work again!!! I've tried installing pidgin, empathy, but didn't work either.
Flash doesn't work well (slowdown, flickering and frequent crashes).
Java also slow.
Although i set KDE to boot without asking my password at install time, it asks for it anyway everytime i reboot...

I have none of those issues, other flash is just a dog program too start and is unreliable, period.

Best to get to the Mint Launchpad and get bugs filed so that they can be reviewed.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

Don't use KDE but the ps/2 touchpad mouse issue sounds like 'click lock' or possibly even multi touch, which shouldnt be hard to fix, but maybe I was confused by what was asked.

Songbird still exists in the repos, and it wasnt that long ago that they had the linux links on their site from what I remember, but it should be removed obviously if they've discontinued support. Not sure if it qualifies but you might look into Guayadeque, pretty sure it works under KDE?

As for menus, the mint menu needs some work imho, it's just a bit slow to load, no matter what plugins I disable. Perhaps it should be modified to make it more customizable or as an option include something lighter but with more functions, i.e Cardapio, but for KDE as well of course?
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

There is no Mint menu in KMint. You get the standard Kick-Off menu or Lancelot. I prefer Lancelot. Much better style and functionality than Kick-Off IMO.
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

Zero Prime wrote:There is no Mint menu in KMint. You get the standard Kick-Off menu or Lancelot. I prefer Lancelot. Much better style and functionality than Kick-Off IMO.
Lancelot is much more functional... I prefer it when I'm running KDE.
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Does anyone know if this is going to be an LTS (Long Term Support) version as with LM9
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

So this is good till 2012?
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

andrew5859 wrote:So this is good till 2012?
Sorry, I deleted my post because I am not totally sure when the next LTS will come out. Isadora is good until April 2013, though.
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)

Return to “Software & Applications”