Mint 11 KDE development

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Mint 11 KDE development

Post by Boo »

I have been doing development since Kubuntu Beta1, Beta2 and now final.
What problems have been found... my network connection rarely comes up and the nVidea drivers can cause all sorts of problems.
Networking is some sort of auto-eth0 issue not being created or something lower down the driver chain.

Has anyone else been playing with Kubuntu and having similar network issues?

no network connection makes it really hard to do development.

Linux Mint 10 KDE on the same machine runs no problems.

Cheers
Jamie
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint 11 KDE development

Post by tdockery97 »

Hi Boo. I've been running the 11.04 Kubuntu Final since the 28th, and have no problems with connecting using the Atheros 9285 chipset.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

I've got Kubuntu 11.04 on another partition. No problems with Broadcom wireless or ATI graphics. I have read on the Kubuntu forms that some people are having problems with Broadcom. Guess I'm lucky:)

Edit: Forgot to say, thanks for your hard work dude.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

I played with them via the DVD's and don't remember any issues with networking on Atheros, intel or nvidia...

I can try some test tonight when I get back to a spot which has some test rigs... but I won't have access to my main test hardware till the weekend.

As for nvidia I never went that far.. and that doesn't surprise me as certain factions upstream are just trying to brow beat nVidia over KMS and its not going to happen.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Hey Boo, while your on the development thing, do you think you could add in the Plymouth fix script for those of us with Nvidia and ATI cards? I forgot about that until I saw rec post about KMS and Nvidia:)
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

I too read quite a few threads with nVidia problems (Crashes and such) on Ubuntu 11.04 and it seems the problems with nvidia are also present in KDE version of the OS. However it also seems that not all nvidia cards have issues. well that is from the posts i've read and i read quite a few. I am using ATI (OS driver) on one and S3 on the other. i only tried Unity on ATI worked fine. No will donwloaded KDE so i will give that one a go. But upgrade will porbably only come in a month or 2 for me. and if Mint is out by then i will also give it a spin. This last install was actually supposed to be Mint 10 KDE. but effects were all messed up. so i went Kubuntu and upgraded it to KDE 4.6. Will give Mint 11 another go when it's out.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Boo wrote:I have been doing development since Kubuntu Beta1, Beta2 and now final.
What problems have been found... my network connection rarely comes up and the nVidea drivers can cause all sorts of problems.
Networking is some sort of auto-eth0 issue not being created or something lower down the driver chain.

Has anyone else been playing with Kubuntu and having similar network issues?

no network connection makes it really hard to do development.

in re network:

Code: Select all

Network:   Card Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3   
Working fine...

K32b

I'll give 64b a whirl in a minute.....

64b ok.... too..

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ inxi -N
Network:   Card Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver tg3                                                                              
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$   
I will try some intel and atheros when I get to a different location tonight.

!@&*$^!&(*^$!(*!@)(&! k no konqi, no inxi... boneheads..... :twisted: Little f!*$&!(*&! hard to do things with no bloody browser file or web....

in re nVidia

This appears to be an X and nVidia driver issue which nVidia will have to correct, and with out it... is a deal stopper for me. I won't probably be able to even test... as #2 on the list is OEM drivers installed. :twisted: I didn't go that deep in to things with the betas

One niggling issue is ALPS Touchpads... see http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=71923
Last edited by rec9140 on Wed May 04, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

Just FYI, inxi 1.4.95 or later has a useful new feature: inxi -n
that gives a lot more network card output:

inxi -n
Network:   Card Altima (nee Broadcom) AC9100 Gigabit Ethernet driver tg3 v: 3.115 bus-ID: 01:09.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
(mac address anonymized)
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Heres one of my laptops:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ inxi -n                                                                                                                                                                        
Network:   Card-1 nVidia MCP77 Ethernet driver forcedeth port 30f8 busID: 00:0a.0                                                                                                               
           IF: eth0 state: down speed: 65535 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1f:
           Card-2 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k busID: 07:00.0                                                                                                           
           IF: wlan0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 00:25:
Network:   Card-1 nVidia MCP77 Ethernet driver forcedeth port 30f8 busID: 00:0a.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1f:
           Card-2 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k busID: 07:00.0                                                                                                           
           IF: wlan0 state: down speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 00:25

Wired and wireless working k64b-final

Another laptop

Network:   Card-1 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver b44 v: 2.0 busID: 03:00.0                                                                                                                          
           IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A                                                                                                                                              
           Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver iwl3945 v: in-tree:s busID: 0c:00.0                                                                                         
           IF: wlan0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 00:1b                                                                                                                   
Network:   Card-1 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver b44 v: 2.0 busID: 03:00.0                                                                                                                          
           Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver iwl3945 v: in-tree:s busID: 0c:00.0                                                                                         
           IF: wlan0 state: down speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 00:1b:                                                                                                                            
Wired / 801.11b OK... I don't have 802.11a at this particular location so couldn't test the a side...

Only weird thing I noticed is that sound is muted on all when I boot up...hmmm
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

Card-1 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver b44 v: 2.0 busID: 03:00.0

That's odd, i'd need to see the data file to see why the broadcom is not getting any information. I'll skip it for now, but note that it's not getting the right data, if it exists. The bus-ID usually gives a reliable result, interesting. Maybe there is really nothing there, that's likely I guess. We have a debugging script now, partially working:
http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/branches/xiin/xiin

download, chmod +x xiin
then run in a directory: ./xiin
and it should output the file, which can be gzipped or zipped and uploaded somewhere, it's a very large file.

Haven't tried xiin out yet, just tried an earlier version, but that lets me see the actual data tree that inxi reads on the system that is not giving the expected results. Reads /sys data only for the time being.

I'll probably add an advanced inxi option to run that, zip it up, with all other output needed, to make it easier for people.

Just tested xiin out, it needs some usability work, but here's how you get the file generated:

./xiin -d /sys -f $HOME/xiin-sys.txt
this will create the file in your home directory, or you can make that path anywhere you want.

I'll almost certainly add this into inxi so inxi can just be run to create the file.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

h2-1 wrote:Card-1 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver b44 v: 2.0 busID: 03:00.0

That's odd, i'd need to see the data file to see why the broadcom is not getting any information. I'll skip it for now, but note that it's not getting the right data, if it exists. The bus-ID usually gives a reliable result, interesting. Maybe there is really nothing there, that's likely I guess. We have a debugging script now, partially working:
http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/branches/xiin/xiin

Went I get to my main "lab" I will put this on the testing list for the weekend and get back to you on it....
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

rec9140, I made it easier, update to version 1.4.97 inxi -U
Then run: inxi -@ 11
this will download and run xiin, create data files of lsusb, lspci, lspci -vv and of course the xiin output, then gzip that up and tell you where the gz file is located, which will be: $HOME/.inxi/

Note the . in the .inxi directory.

Also removed speed and duplex output for detected wifi card strings.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

I am running Kubuntu Natty (64 bits) already for one week on a HP laptop with ATI-videocard and Broadcom chip. Everything feels solid and stable...networking and multi-media (and 3D-graphics) is working flawlessly. Probably the best Kubuntu-release ever...
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

There are still issues with the Alps P/S2 Alps Dual Point Touchpad....I cannot use the full functionality of the touchpad, this has been an issue that has not been addressed by devs since LM10 came out. Everything worked great in LM9....right now, I'm playing with LM11 and am not able to resize the windows with the touchpad and buttons to drag it wider or higher/shorter
klemi

Post by klemi »

Hallo,

I want to change the desktop from ubuntu Gnome to KDE Desktop - I dont know about the KDE-Mint-Desktop, but I will test it.
Can someone say to me, when the final relase of KDE Mint 11 is?

In this thread someone named Mr. Boo as KDE developer. Question: How many people works on the KDE-Desktop for mint? Can someone say a little for it?

Thank you very much for the comments

Klemi
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

klemi wrote:In this thread someone named Mr. Boo as KDE developer. Question: How many people works on the KDE-Desktop for mint? Can someone say a little for it?
KMint is a ONE MAN SHOW, period. Boo is the creator, developer, guidance, and sole manager of the KMint Edition.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

It's generally been coming out about a month or two before the NEXT release of Kubuntu...So since Kubuntu 11.10 comes out in October, Figure KMint 11 (based on Kubuntu 11.04) will be out around August or September of this year...Mint 10 KDE (based on kubuntu 10.10) just came out a short while ago (end of February)...So it's really the latest release on Boo's schedule...
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Development has been held up as I wait for some artwork form Clem and he finishes off the fixes to Mint.
Once Mint is released I will be able to build the last packages and build some ISO's.
the auto-eth on my dev system is still crap and I was hoping a newer release of KDE4 would be out and in the repos before too long.
I would hope the Mint 11 KDE would be better than Mint 10 KDE but so far the network issue I have is a step backwards, and I would not upgrade to it or Kubuntu 11.04.

Cheers
Jamie
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

Boo wrote:Development has been held up as I wait for some artwork form Clem and he finishes off the fixes to Mint.
Once Mint is released I will be able to build the last packages and build some ISO's.
the auto-eth on my dev system is still **** and I was hoping a newer release of KDE4 would be out and in the repos before too long.
I would hope the Mint 11 KDE would be better than Mint 10 KDE but so far the network issue I have is a step backwards, and I would not upgrade to it or Kubuntu 11.04.

Cheers
Jamie
kde 4.7 beta 1 comes out on May 25th and 4.6.4 comes out on June 2 and mint 11 gnome is stable and currently shows up on some of the mirrors
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

which mirrors have the mint 11 gnome final release? (links please) thanks :)

Return to “Software & Applications”