Linksys WMP600N Drivers Linux ???

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SAndrews_18

Linksys WMP600N Drivers Linux ???

Post by SAndrews_18 »

Hello I New to using Linux Mint 10 I have had it about a month or so, and I was trying to use the windows Wireless Drivers i found a Windows 7 64 bit Inf File and Tried to use it, and Now linux mint will only detect my Wired card. I tried to reinstall in the package manager MintWifi Package NO luck. Does anyone Know how to get Drivers that work for the Linksys WMP600N? I also went to RaLink website and got drivers But I Dont know how to unpack or unzip a Tar.Bz2 Pack can anyone help me with that. im still learning linux, But I like it allot better than window 7.

Linux Mint 10 64 Bit
Gateway DX4200-09
Amd Phenom x4 1.8 ghz
8 gb Ram,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bender1077
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linksys WMP600N Drivers Linux ???

Post by bender1077 »

I'm not an expert, but it appears that the below method by Chris Barker is the way to go - Utilizes same RL RT2860 chipset:

Original:
http://www.ctbarker.info/2010/05/ubuntu ... d-wpa.html

Ubuntu Forum for same method:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476007

Read both in detail before starting.

Hope everything works out.
I'm sorry, guys. I never meant to hurt you. Just to destroy everything you ever believed in.
SAndrews_18

Post by SAndrews_18 »

Well I'll try to use that. I wonder why it wont use the Inf file from windows driver, It shows the device is present on the wirless windows drivers but it doesnt work.

But Now Linux mint cannot find my wireless card at all? Got any ideas how to get my wifi card to come back so I can use it?
bender1077
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bender1077 »

There should be Linux drivers for your card on the ralink site. No need for the windows drivers if this is the case.
I'm sorry, guys. I never meant to hurt you. Just to destroy everything you ever believed in.
SAndrews_18

Post by SAndrews_18 »

I found them But don't understand How to extract them, I right click shows extract Here, or archive mounter, or archive manager or open with other application. the file I got is named 2010_07_16_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.0.tar.bz2 ..
bender1077
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bender1077 »

I think I misread!

On my non-linux supported adapter, I can only use the .inf file directly from the installation disc. I saved a copy in my /home folder for later use without the install disc, but did not work.

Try removing the driver, and installing the .inf file from the install media and advise if the card is then recognized.
bender1077
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bender1077 »

SAndrews_18 wrote:I found them But don't understand How to extract them, I right click shows extract Here, or archive mounter, or archive manager or open with other application. the file I got is named 2010_07_16_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.0.tar.bz2 ..
I noticed this on the previously posted forum link:
When you download the new driver you need to rename the downloaded file from
2010_07_16_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.0.tar.bz2
to
2010_07_16_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.0.tar
So actually you need to remove the '.bz2' ending. After that you can double-click the file and 'File Roller' can open it.
Looks like you need to remove the .bz2 extension and then extract.
SAndrews_18

Post by SAndrews_18 »

Okay i renamed it and used Extract to here and it made another folder
bender1077
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bender1077 »

You're all set. Place the new extracted folder in your home directory and continue with the process.
SAndrews_18

Post by SAndrews_18 »

No Luck. No Anyway to restore or get the old driver to get the wifi card to work again, I'll give for now on the drivers.

Im hoping it easy to get old drivers back Like wifi Package or another package.
bender1077
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bender1077 »

Ok. Well I know that a windows driver will not work on LM 64 bit. I am away from my computer now and cannot really research on my phone.

Can anyone help get sandrew back to default?
SAndrews_18

Post by SAndrews_18 »

I tried to uninstall and reinstall a couple of package related to wifi no change.
bender1077
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bender1077 »

I did a little digging and it appears that there is no way to simply revert back to default network settings without either a 1. full reinstall, or 2. completely remove and purge all things network manager related.

Both of these do not sound fun, so let's try to trouble shoot again!

What are your outputs for the following commands?:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
sudo lshw -C network
*The lshw -C network will take a second to complete
SAndrews_18

Post by SAndrews_18 »

Well Since I have several Hdds I just installed linux mint debian, Now all I have to do is Transfer my stuff from julia 10 to debian and I have all the programs and packages and I noticed debian works faster for me than julia. Well I forgot I was using a western digital 640gb scorpio Blue and I also have 640gb western digital black drive, so theres the speed difference. Only thing is that I had windows 7 on the black drive and it crashed, But I have several backup of my info.

Return to “Hardware Support”