updating...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

updating...

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I am running celena original version. I am still there because it all works... have seen stuff of mint update - but not sure where to find it on my computer - I looked all over. also - if I decide to update celena - wheher and how to update? to to Daryna - just update celena. also if there and I beleieve there are, multiple updates. then do they have to be added in order/sequence? or can you just jump to the last update?

sorry for this dumb and confusing set of questions.

p.s. if there is a glitch - anyway to go back without reloading everything?

thank you -
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Mint Update 1.6:
http://linuxmint.com/repository/daryna/ ... 6_i386.deb
Also install this for GNOME:
http://linuxmint.com/repository/daryna/ ... 0_i386.deb
...or KDE:
http://linuxmint.com/repository/daryna/ ... 0_i386.deb

Aloha, Tim

Oh, and you can delete your own stuff, at least until someone replies to it. Just edit the message and check the Delete this message box.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

While you're at it you should probably do these as well...

Mint Install v2.9:
http://www.linuxmint.com/repository/dar ... 9_i386.deb

Mint Desktop v1.6:
http://linuxmint.com/repository/daryna/ ... 6_i386.deb

Yes, these work in Celena.

Aloha, Tim
Edited to correct a typo...
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Ok Thank you. But I am not sure what to do with all of these things so I guess I will keep things as they are for now.

I also deleted the duplicate thread. thanks!
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Just click on the links and install them.

Mint Update will notify you when there are important updates. It defaults to only showing you updates that have been tested by the Mint team, so it is safer to use than Ubuntu's auto-update.

Mint Install is an improved version, as is Mint Desktop (it now includes a function to restore Mint artwork/splash screens)..
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

mint update said not recommended to do it this way and older version exists - what does this mean and why the warning? thank you.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

how do I delete and undo the first two that you told me to do? I have a funny feeling I just goofed up my system or am about to.

thank you -
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

also - it looks like there are 3's on all of them what is safe? 1? and some are kde - I run gnome though I use some kde apps so do you update them all?

I am sorry to say but I am new to this and very confused and happy that what works now works and I hate to tweak and freak this stuff all up.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

not sure if this was correct but did a search for mintupdate in synaptic and found both and deleted/removed. it said delete with confgi file or without even though I stated remove all completely - but decided not to mess with the config files. was that Ok? or the correct thing to do? or did I goof this up now?

thank you -

This is the frsutrating thing for me with linux. do not know ehat the hell i am doing or what the heck these things mean, etc.

:-0)))
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The warning about the version is because these are actually from the Daryna repositories, but they are fine to run on Celena. Ive been using them for a while now and they work great. Clem posted these links and asked us to try these under Celena & Cassandra and then made a few improvements. They are fine to use. Relax.

Updates up to level 3 are considered safe. Mint update will not show you level 4 or 5 updates by default (unless you change the preferences). If you really want to be safe you can change the prefs to only show level 1 & 2, which are the updates that are thoroughly tested by Clem and team, but that will eliminate many of the Ubuntu security updates (which are important). I have Celena running with all updates up to level-3 with no problems.

I also have a Cassandra system will ALL updates, including level 4 & 5 with no problems either. But to be safe stick to the defaults of level 1-3 updates.

Aloha, Tim
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

thanks Tim. You know a lot more about this than I do so i will stay with what works and stick with the basic install.

I deleted as much as I can but no config files when it asked me to.

I am extremely hesitant to break what works.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Tim, after pondering this situation I loaded everything as you stated in order that you provided. I am trying to figure out the preferneces for level 1 nad 2 - there are 88 plus at level 3.

if it breaks - you help me fix this.

:-)

edit:

ok - level 1&2 and no updates. the first time it ran it said updates broken....

2nd time ok - but no updates. system OK.

Thank you Tim!!!

GrayWizardLinux
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

it seems like everytime I start my laptop up this mint update lock appears and blinks like there is an update - however - nothing happens - the system is Ok and there are no updates. Why does this happen? can I shut this off? this is weird - it should appear 1x a week or month or else whenever an update is there. not when there is nothing available. I have level 1 and 2 on and 3-5 off.

thanks.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

on startup getting update errors now. trying to remove all I loaded. i knew i shouldn't screw with what worked. Damn!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Help --- i uninstalled mintmenu and also mint config and cannot getthis to work - mintmenu needs mintconfig but I cannot do or get both.

I am pissed!
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

I just installed Daryna and during the upgrade process there are three updates that will not install and I get an error "forbidden". They are from the ubuntu security repo.

Return to “Beginner Questions”