Portable Linux ?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
dracorX

Re: Portable Linux ?

Post by dracorX »

nicwillemse wrote:Would it be possible to add a feature where one could install to say usb portable drive ?

So giving a portable distro ?

Thanks for the brilliant work guys!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well. I think no specialities are necessary? Just install on an usb portable drive (hd, I think) by specifying to use this disk (must be recognised from the beginning) and configure your pc bios to boot from usb first?

Although, if changing computers from time to time, I think the hardware recognition must be adapted...
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

I'm not sure how long the usb drive would last with the swap partition on it... they do have a finite number of writes, after all... :?
Or I'm just over-pessimistic.
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
dracorX

Do they?

Post by dracorX »

Hey sorensei, I didn't know about a limited number? do you have further information about that?

anyway, with the sizes of todays usb sticks, using one of these would work...
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

DracorX,

I remember seeing it on the packaging of several drives. Here's a Wikipedia excerpt, which also gives us a kind of a workaround - obviously the idea is not new... :wink:
Like all flash memory devices, flash drives can sustain only a limited number of write and erase cycles before failure. Mid-range flash drives under normal conditions will support several hundred thousand cycles, although write operations will gradually slow as the device ages. This should be a consideration when using a flash drive to run application software or an operating system. To address this, as well as space limitations, some developers have produced special versions of operating systems (such as Linux) or commonplace applications (such as Mozilla Firefox) designed to run from flash drives. These are typically optimized for size and configured to place temporary or intermediate files in the computer's main RAM rather than store them temporarily on the flash drive.
Implied, if we want a "portable Mint" we''ll need to do some tinkering first... I've no idea how much, though, that's really not my forte. :(

On the other hand, I'm using a portable version of Firefox right now and it works well enough, despite some freezing tendencies with some websites (dilbert.com comes to mind) and the fact that updates take forever. Oh well. :roll:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

You can also search the forum, there were some entiprising souls who have tried this. So do a search.

Good luck.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”