Too much Video Players by default

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
burjans

Too much Video Players by default

Post by burjans »

I am using LMDE, when you install the distro you can to find 4 Video Players by default:

- Gnome Player
- MPlayer
- Totem
- VLC

my questions is: ¿why? :?:

¿One is not enough? :?
JasonLG

Re: Too much Video Players by default

Post by JasonLG »

burjans wrote:I am using LMDE, when you install the distro you can to find 4 Video Players by default:

- Gnome Player
- MPlayer
- Totem
- VLC

my questions is: ¿why? :?:

¿One is not enough? :?
Well... Mplayer is required for the default browser media plugin. Totem is required for the video thumbnails in Nautilus and VLC and GNOME Media player are pretty much the Swiss army knives of Media players, they will generally play about any media format. But if you like you can what I do and uninstall Mplayer and GNOME media player and install the totem browser plugin.(the totem plugin seems to work the best of the three.) Or another option is to uninstall everything except VLC and use the VLC browser plugin and loose the video thumbnails.
quake

Post by quake »

VLC and use the VLC browser plugin seems like the simplest way to improve mint. I really love VLC the best.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Nahh . . lets do like Mac and make everyone use the a4 format . . or maybe the wmv ? . . . why not corroborate on a cross-platform, non propietary . . . . oh wait, . . they don't get paid then . . .
quake

Post by quake »

Can we get VLC to replace every thing. I would like that very much.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

quake wrote:Can we get VLC to replace every thing. I would like that very much.
Yes, just uninstall all the other video players and install the vlc browser plugin.
quake

Post by quake »

JasonLG wrote:
Yes, just uninstall all the other video players and install the vlc browser plugin.
Why don't we have that by default? Mint is about elegance and simplicity.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

quake wrote:
JasonLG wrote:
Why don't we have that by default? Mint is about elegance and simplicity.
No idea. But if I had to guess it would be for the reasons I list in my first post.
quake

Post by quake »

Yes, just uninstall all the other video players and install the vlc browser plugin.[/quote]

Why don't we have that by default? Mint is about elegance and simplicity.[/quote]

No idea. But if I had to guess it would be for the reasons I list in my first post.[/quote]

So Mint can just use totem, and VLC with a plug in for the same effect?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

quake wrote:So Mint can just use totem, and VLC with a plug in for the same effect?
Read my previous posts again.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I think the number and choice of selections are partially dictated by the upstream distribution, In Mint's case: Ubuntu or Debian

So we naturally get Totem or Gnome player
--the other choices are more desktop agnostic (Mplayer and VLC)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”