[solved] Compiz won't work

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TinyTony

[solved] Compiz won't work

Post by TinyTony »

Hello everybody,

It seems that Compiz is not working on my LMDE.

When I try to lauch Compiz it crashes and launch Metacity (I think) :

Code: Select all

tinytony@macondo ~ $ compiz --replace &
[1] 22939
tinytony@macondo ~ $ compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0

Launching fallback window manager
BTW, if someone knows the command line to determine the current window compositor, it is welcomed.

My configuration : Nvidia card with nouveau free driver, graphical acceleration activated :

$ lspci -v | grep -A 10 VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce Go 7600] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1232
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
	Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at fc000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	I/O ports at bc00 [size=128]
	Expansion ROM at fbfe0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau

$ glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_fragment_program, 
Help welcomed !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
doktordave

Re: Compiz won't work

Post by doktordave »

A good starting point to get compiz running.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

If memory serves, compiz-check script is not available to download as a package in LMDE. It is only in the Ubuntu based versions of Mint. I guess you could get the script and manually initiate it.

Doing a quick search using the terms compiz nouveau driver "software rasterizer" I find a mixed bag of results. The only ones seeming to report good results are those using the experimental mesa drivers in addition to nouveau graphics driver. You can follow that idea if you are game, but you take the risks upon yourself.

I found this reference on Phoronix re: Nouveau - Compiz and Natty
Compiz as a compositing window manager is a must in this environment, so having no 3D acceleration and being dependent upon the (useless-for-end-users) Mesa software rasterizer will do no good.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

dawgdoc wrote:If memory serves, compiz-check script is not available to download as a package in LMDE. It is only in the Ubuntu based versions of Mint. I guess you could get the script and manually initiate it.

Doing a quick search using the terms compiz nouveau driver "software rasterizer" I find a mixed bag of results. The only ones seeming to report good results are those using the experimental mesa drivers in addition to nouveau graphics driver. You can follow that idea if you are game, but you take the risks upon yourself.

I found this reference on Phoronix re: Nouveau - Compiz and Natty
Compiz as a compositing window manager is a must in this environment, so having no 3D acceleration and being dependent upon the (useless-for-end-users) Mesa software rasterizer will do no good.
I was able to download it, and run it successfully in LMDE. It would complain about the last line in the test, I think the error was? compiz nouveau driver "software rasterizer, then I did an update and compiz works fine with the open source Nouveau driver with an ATI card.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
TinyTony

Post by TinyTony »

dawgdoc wrote:Doing a quick search using the terms compiz nouveau driver "software rasterizer" I find a mixed bag of results. The only ones seeming to report good results are those using the experimental mesa drivers in addition to nouveau graphics driver. You can follow that idea if you are game, but you take the risks upon yourself.
Bingo ! Thanks man, that was the thing. I just installed the package libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental and it worked !

For having Compiz activated at start, I changed the gconf key /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager (with gconf-editor) to compiz instead of gnome-wm.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I'm glad it worked for you, and surprised it was not more trouble than that.

Could you add [Solved] to the Subject: line of your original post? It may help others searching for a solution to a similar problem, thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”