Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

autocrosser

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by autocrosser »

Update to Gnome-Shell just in---adds a Dock to the right side of the screen. Version is 3.0.1-1. I'm also posting a couple of different Theme shots....First is Elementary by Half-Left....
Screenshot-1.jpg
Screenshot-2.jpg
Screenshot.jpg
Last edited by autocrosser on Sat May 14, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

And now the Deviant-Art theme---looks very good for a Mint theme!!!!
Screenshot-3.jpg
Next is Gaia--also a very Minty theme....
Screenshot-4.jpg
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Last screenshots for the day--Includes the "new" Theme-Manager (see page 3 for the how-to)
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot-1.jpg
sahilshinesalways

Post by sahilshinesalways »

Nice...Must say gnome 3 has improved much in last 4 months!!!
but unfortuantely cant install in ubuntu :(
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

sahilshinesalways wrote:Nice...Must say gnome 3 has improved much in last 4 months!!!
Take a look at the link I provided a few posts up---One of the guys posting on the blog is a Ubuntu'r that has G-S working on his system---from a PPA......

You bet you can install it in Ubuntu......
wlake

Post by wlake »

My Gnome Shell on Mint 11. Used http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/ to install the shell. Window theme is Adwaita-drakfire, shell theme Dark Glass.
Screenshot.png
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Very Nice!!!! I had heard that a team was working on this....Great to see!!!!!
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

wlake wrote:My Gnome Shell on Mint 11. Used http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/ to install the shell. Window theme is Adwaita-drakfire, shell theme Dark Glass.
Did it work out of the box? I tried to install Gnome Shell on a blank Mint 11 installation with the ugr repos, but it didn't work. I got a message about reporting issues to the Gnome 3 team, but nothing worked after klicking this message box.

@autocrosser: sry for "hijacking" this thread, i'll give LMDE and Gnome 3 a shot tomorrow.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

No problem---this thread is about getting Gnome3/G-S to work on as many systems as possible....It's working very well in Debian right now & I know that Ubuntu "tried" to make it not work in Natty.....So anything that makes it work for you is good.....

I would contact Teamproxy about your issues & tell them in as much detail as you can about what happened....
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Here's my shot for today....
Screenshot-1.jpg
wlake

Post by wlake »

thx1138 wrote:
wlake wrote:My Gnome Shell on Mint 11. Used http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/ to install the shell. Window theme is Adwaita-drakfire, shell theme Dark Glass.
Did it work out of the box? I tried to install Gnome Shell on a blank Mint 11 installation with the ugr repos, but it didn't work. I got a message about reporting issues to the Gnome 3 team, but nothing worked after klicking this message box.

@autocrosser: sry for "hijacking" this thread, i'll give LMDE and Gnome 3 a shot tomorrow.
Yeah, it pretty much worked out of the box. Although I tried the same thing on a clean install of natty and it didn't work. I don't know what kind of errors you are getting, but remember that the RC of Mint 11 identifies itself as "katya" and when you add the repos you have to go to your /etc/apt directory and change the repos to say "natty" and not "katya".
Regards,
wlake
sahilshinesalways

Post by sahilshinesalways »

autocrosser wrote:
sahilshinesalways wrote:Nice...Must say gnome 3 has improved much in last 4 months!!!
Take a look at the link I provided a few posts up---One of the guys posting on the blog is a Ubuntu'r that has G-S working on his system---from a PPA......

My bad...i am not finding the link<rather very sleep now :mrgreen: >...can u plz provide provide the link once again?
ugh

Post by ugh »

autocrosser wrote:Update to Gnome-Shell just in---adds a Dock to the right side of the screen. Version is 3.0.1-1.
The dock on the right hand side is from gnome-shell-extensions.
And Gnome-Tweak-Tool makes it a well-rounded "kit"

Code: Select all

git clone http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-tweak-tool
cd gnome-tweak-tool
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make && sudo make install
Also, gnome-tweak-tool is available in experimental if you didn't want to build from source.

If it was already mentoined I missed it, but if you really want the Min/Max/Close buttons you can do it with gnome-tweak-tool
Last edited by ugh on Sat May 21, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

sahilshinesalways wrote:
autocrosser wrote:

My bad...i am not finding the link<rather very sleep now :mrgreen: >...can u plz provide provide the link once again?
Sorry--I was being a little obtuse myself---it's a little more searching that I thought...look at: http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/04/gnome- ... eview.html & look at the posts that Charles Bowman has posted....then look at his Ubuntu thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754198

I would suggest looking thru Musing of a OS Plumber for a bit also ( http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/05/more-g ... ation.html )...there are lots of good ideas there...he's on Fedora, but with a little changing here & there it works in Debian Distros
Last edited by autocrosser on Sat May 21, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

ugh wrote:
autocrosser wrote:Update to Gnome-Shell just in---adds a Dock to the right side of the screen. Version is 3.0.1-1.
The dock on the right hand side is from gnome-shell-extensions.

And Gnome-Tweak-Tool makes it a well-rounded "kit"

Code: Select all

git clone http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-tweak-tool
cd gnome-tweak-tool
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make && sudo make install
Also, gnome-tweak-tool is available in experimental didn't want to build from source.

If it was already mentoined I missed it, but if you really want the Min/Max/Close buttons you can do it with gnome-tweak-tool
Take a look at the post I just did for more Gnome-Shell-Extensions---Yes--I've enabled Min/Max/Close buttons from Gnome-Tweak-Tool..the blog suggests several tweaks. Also the blog has several "mods" to Tweak-Tool also...I built from source to get the latest version...also, the blog shows how to create your own extensions...
gozer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gozer »

I followed the instructions on this page:
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/themesel ... on-to.html

However, when I attempt to login the WM crashes. If I rename that directory (themeselector@fpmurphy.com/) to something like "themeselector", I can log in but still no theme selection.

Also - I installed the tweak tool from exp, but the only theme available is "raleigh". I do have a few in my .themes folder.

EDIT: never mind! I had not done the xml stuff from the README. That's what I get for not reading first...
Debian Testing
g+
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

How is it working now?
gozer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gozer »

I got the themes going, and found some gtk3 themes that would show up in gnome-tweak (something besides "raleigh"). Only theme-related issue now is the window borders don't get changed. So if I change to a new theme from gnome-tweak most windows get the controls, but I still have raleigh window borders. Looking better though!
Debian Testing
g+
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

gozer wrote:I got the themes going, and found some gtk3 themes that would show up in gnome-tweak (something besides "raleigh"). Only theme-related issue now is the window borders don't get changed. So if I change to a new theme from gnome-tweak most windows get the controls, but I still have raleigh window borders. Looking better though!
In gconf-editor try editing Desktop -> Gnome -> Shell -> Windows -> theme value.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

gozer wrote:I got the themes going, and found some gtk3 themes that would show up in gnome-tweak (something besides "raleigh"). Only theme-related issue now is the window borders don't get changed. So if I change to a new theme from gnome-tweak most windows get the controls, but I still have raleigh window borders. Looking better though!
Also---you need to change the gtk3 theme in 2 places in Gnome-Tweak...I'm away from my system, but I believe that the 2 tabs are 1 above the other.....

Return to “LMDE Archive”