ubuntubugs fixed???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Generally, no. Mint does not "fix" Ubuntu.

Mint does a few things differently, and that avoids some of the problems with Ubuntu (like using their own update manager) so Mint does work better for a lot of people, but it uses the Ubuntu code base.

What "bugs" are you having trouble with?

Aloha, Tim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

As Tim states we don't generally fix Ubuntu bugs but when we do our changes. Some bugs get fixed "on the fly" so to speak. Mostly things work better in Mint, and specifically wifi - we do bit of work there. On the other hand some find that wifi works better in Ubuntu. This is much a question of your hardware and installed programs (in that order)
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

All I can say is that for whatever reasons, Mint works and Ubuntu doesn't. I tried on 3 different laptops. Mint Always wins out. Celena for me hit the jackpot - it all just works on my Thinkpad!

Hope this helps.

Go for it!
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

When you get to the partitioning part of the installer, choose manual and define the same /home partition. Also make sure that the format box is not checked for /home (it usually isn't by default).

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ mschilling
I'm surprised of your finding - Mint and Ubuntu uses the same installer - Ubiquity - so there should not be a difference
Was this detection of /home in the install phase, and if so at what time.
This is something people ask for in Mint and Ubuntu
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Well if there already is anything you wish too keep on your /home I'd advise against formatting it... as Tim mentioned a few posts back, too :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

And you have to use manual partitioning (I think and inboth Ubuntu and Mint) to set the mount point for your /home partition as /home - and don't format - the purpose of a home partition is to save your "belongings"

Return to “Beginner Questions”