Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
SimonTS

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Post by SimonTS »

Hang on a cotton-pickin' minute there hufter. You really should show some respect and decency before you make yourself look like a fool.

You have been a member of this forum for a total of TWO DAYS!! You dare to criticise Clem and the team because you downloaded a "final looking file", for which there had been no announcement. Don't you think that maybe, if there hadn't been an announcement, the files weren't ready? I saw the posting by 'zerozero' and ignored it because there had been no announcement - and I am perfectly capable of fixing most things that go wrong. I suspect that the version you downloaded was there for a reason - maybe it was an interim test-build for a specific purpose? Who knows - but it was not there for the general population to download and install. RC is the current test platform - and it is recommended for people who are willing to test and report bugs when found.

As for most of the issues - Ubuntu 11.04 as seriously flawed. There are so many reports of problems with it, and Mint is based on Ubuntu. If the bug is in Ubuntu then it really isn't fair to expect the Mint crew to fix it. I am happy with 11RC and its 'issues', but if it doesn't suit you then install 10 and you will see just how stable Mint is when it is a released version.
M4570D0N

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" Final released!

Post by M4570D0N »

Lies!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hey Simon calm down a second, you can't deny that in the mirrors is Mint11 iso labelled as stable for a couple days already;
why the announcement still didn't show up in the blog you have to ask Clem;
furthermore if you go to the community page you can see that the isos were already approved to stable release 2 days ago http://community.linuxmint.com/iso ;
and if you are a observant member of this forum you should know that usually the isos show up in the mirrors a couple days before they are announced in the blog; anyway if you want to stick to the "rules" it's up to you;

ahh and one last thing the "interin test-builds" are not uploads to the public mirrors, but you, of course already know that :mrgreen:

As for you, M4570D0N, :lol:
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Just because it's listed as "Approved for stable release" doesn't mean it has been released. As for my rant - my biggest issue was at someone who has been here for 2 days slagging of Clem - when he probably isn't fit to wipe the dirt from his shoes. People like that who just expect and take really P*** me off big time - they deserve to be stuck with Windows.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sorry then, i took it on me 8)
anyway, as for the isos, you can be almost sure it's the stable and final; Clem is, most probably, just waiting that it hits all the mirrors to make the announcement, and at the moment it is in all i can see http://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php
hufter

Post by hufter »

What woud you call it, If you stumbled upon http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... -64bit.iso? What kind looking file would you call it?
And I did say Mint developers are doing a great job. But the image above has serious bugs that are inherited from Ubuntu 11.04.
And it's faulty, are you going to tell new new users to not to use desktop cube, or what. The cube works fine on Julia, but if you try it in Katya, you have a disaster from what you don't know the way out if you are a regular user. I call it a disaster.
I don't want to rush developers into releasing the final. I don't want them to put products with serious problems to /stable/11 anywhere. I woud suggest they pull it out and call it RC2, and the final is ready when it's ready.

Doesn't matter how long I've been on the board. It's whether I'm wrong or right what matters. I'm definitely not new to Linux.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I can't imagine for a second that any new user is going to just "stumble across" that file. I think they would be likely to be waiting for an announcement that it was officially released. As for the stability of it - yes, there are major issues with compiz, among other items. Compiz will soon disappear due to lack of upstream support, as will Gnome2 and many other things that we like. A lot of the users who have come to Mint recently have done so because they don't like Gnome 3, Unity etc - but eventually there will be no choice. If the upstream support ceases then Clem won't be able to do much about it in the long run.

I also refer you to my other comment;-
"As for most of the issues - Ubuntu 11.04 as seriously flawed. There are so many reports of problems with it, and Mint is based on Ubuntu. If the bug is in Ubuntu then it really isn't fair to expect the Mint crew to fix it. I am happy with 11RC and its 'issues', but if it doesn't suit you then install 10 and you will see just how stable Mint is when it is a released version."
Yes - maybe they should hold back on releasing Mint 11 yet, but if Ubuntu can't sort their act out then how long is Mint expected to be held back? If all the bugs being reported are caused by Ubuntu rather than the customisation that Mint adds, then should Clem really hold back on the release?
All that this whole debacle does, in my opinion, is push Mint further towards switching permanently to a Debian base.

I had no intention of causing an argument with anyone, but the way you came across just got me kinda worked up. Please accept my apology if I offended you in any way.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I'd love to know how you "stumbled" upon that site? I have googled it and couldn't find it. Compiz is going to disappear as the previous poster said. Clem mentioned that in the testing comments at the community site. There is nothing he can do about that. This is one hell of an os and it is FREE. In my opinion, Mint 11 is the best release yet even as an RC. I removed compiz because I don't use it and this os is smooth as can be and fast as lightning. I love this kernel as well. :wink:
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

SimonTS wrote:..A lot of the users who have come to Mint recently have done so because they don't like Gnome 3, Unity etc - but eventually there will be no choice. If the upstream support ceases then Clem won't be able to do much about it in the long run..
It would seem some sort of continuing support for Gnome 2 should be considered, even if from outside the official Gnome project. When KDE 3.5.10 was abandoned in favor of KDE 4, a group stepped forward and picked up the 3.5.10 ball making improvements and keeping it available for projects to use. Should that happen with Gnome 2.32, and for the life of me I can't believe that it won't given how overwhelmingly popular Gnome 2 is, what would prevent Clem and the Mint team from continuing to deploy it as long as demand remains as emphatic as it is? Maybe 2 or 3 years down the road Unity and/or Gnome 3/Gnome Shell will be worth taking to the rodeo, but for now and the foreseeable future Gnome 2 will continue to be popularly preferred, or so it would seem. That being the case a project to continue its development reasonably should take root. ..Or am I dreaming impossible dreams in this matter?
zohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zohall »

i waiting for final version :D
RedLeg

Post by RedLeg »

Out of curiosity, has anyone else tried to install Unity on LM11 yet? I did and it seemed to do all right, but then I scrapped it. I've been using it for the last couple of weeks in Natty and it is (shockingly) starting to grow on my and I have begun to prefer it over GNOME 2.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

There are some people who have asked how to install Unity or Gnome Shell on Mint 11. And I haven't seen complaints about Unity / Gnome 3 not working. I think this means Unity just works when installing from Software Manager.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
finnipinni

Post by finnipinni »

"I also tried "the unannonced 11" on same computers.This installationprogram went longer, but crashed just before the finish.
Sorry to say !
I really liked the 10, so : looking forward to try out the benefit of Your hard work -"

And it stops same every time,
But try running the ISO without beeing connected to the internet !
The installation program works ! (on Aspire1800)

Dear I connect to the internet now ? here are 72 updates waiting. Are my problem one of these ?
The wireless do not work, thou the driver apperently are installed. (broadcom43)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Az4x4 wrote:
SimonTS wrote:..A lot of the users who have come to Mint recently have done so because they don't like Gnome 3, Unity etc - but eventually there will be no choice. If the upstream support ceases then Clem won't be able to do much about it in the long run..
It would seem some sort of continuing support for Gnome 2 should be considered, even if from outside the official Gnome project. When KDE 3.5.10 was abandoned in favor of KDE 4, a group stepped forward and picked up the 3.5.10 ball making improvements and keeping it available for projects to use. Should that happen with Gnome 2.32, and for the life of me I can't believe that it won't given how overwhelmingly popular Gnome 2 is, what would prevent Clem and the Mint team from continuing to deploy it as long as demand remains as emphatic as it is? Maybe 2 or 3 years down the road Unity and/or Gnome 3/Gnome Shell will be worth taking to the rodeo, but for now and the foreseeable future Gnome 2 will continue to be popularly preferred, or so it would seem. That being the case a project to continue its development reasonably should take root. ..Or am I dreaming impossible dreams in this matter?
By what I've read on Gnome.org about Gnome 2.32 (and beyond) the Gnome developers are of the opinion that the venerable old desktop environment will be around for many years yet. Gnome.org themselves will no longer support certain portions of it but they fully expect many of the distros that use Gnome as a DE to continue to develop future versions of the classic Gnome 2 desktop. Just pipe dreaming here, it would be nice to see several of the popular distros get together and form a foundation of sorts to keep Gnome 2 going since I seriously doubt that individual distros like Linux Mint have the resources necessary to maintain and develop such a large project as the Gnome 2 DE by themselves. It will definitely require a group effort.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That group effort can also be a fork. If one distro uses the fork and gets popular, others may follow.

By the way, Gnome 3 without the shell is not bad at all.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
hufter

Post by hufter »

I'm sorry too, if I pissed people off while writing pissed off after trying Cube.
Apparently the "supposed final" was the real final. Release notes warn about Cube: "recommended not to activate".
In general "Katya" is awesome.

Of course Mint developers cannot do much about upstream issues.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AlbertP wrote:That group effort can also be a fork. If one distro uses the fork and gets popular, others may follow.

By the way, Gnome 3 without the shell is not bad at all.
Even though it's a bit off topic, I was made to understand that Gnome 3 without gnome-shell has no desktop environment at all. Are you talking about the "Fall back" mode? Just wondering. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
deadcats

Post by deadcats »

Of interest to note, the "stumbled upon" DVD 64-bit .ISO has the same checksum as the official release version.

regards,
-dc
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Installed from DVD _64
As I expected and has been my experience with all Mint since I found it at v6. Fantastic!
Flawless and perfection - Mint continues to be a distro I highly recommend.

I was please to know that Unity was not accepted as default, neither Gnome 3 (which is cumbersome IMO).

Thank you!!
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
luna paradox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by luna paradox »

The new release looks nice. Not so much working for me though :( the whole system freezes up within 30 seconds of the desktop booting up. Ran well right after install did update and then rebooted and now can't do anything. Will wait a few more weeks and try again and see if this will change with some more updates.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”