No KDE Celena. onto Daryna

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I will look into it.
sounds like a nice little variation.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
lynx

Re: No KDE Celena. onto Daryna

Post by lynx »

I'm new to using Linux Mint and love the KDE version the best, so I'm using KDE Bianca. I'm using that one because I was under the impression it is a main release and that the one's that say community edition are in testing mode, but please tell me if I'm wrong. Will there be a KDE mail edition or is the community edition the latest release that I should be using. I prefer not use anything in beta but would rather wait until the main edition comes out.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

There is no "main" KDE edition now only the KDE Community Edition.

The KDE CE Final will be out soon.

lynx

Post by lynx »

^^Thanks for the response. So when I see CE edition does that mean it's still in development. I only ask because the Gnome releases don't use the term CE. And the Bianca KDE edition says it's a main edition. And the next CE KDE edition that is coming out soon will be final, does that mean final for good, or will there be another edition after that. I'm new to linux and so I'm still trying to understand things. I just feel like if I'm happy with what I'm using now is it imperative for me to upgrade every time a new edition comes out. And from what I've seen a new one comes out every month or so.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the CE just means Community Edition, the development disks all have beta in their name.

Clem did the Bianca KDE edition so it was known as a main edition.
doing a gnome and kde edition was a bit too much work for clem since he really wants to develop new Minty tools/apps.
I volunteered to maintain the KDE edition of mint and started with Cassandra.
The main Mint edition is Gnome based and all other Mint editions are known as Community Editions (CE).
so far there are KDE and XFCE community editions of Mint but soon there will be a fluxbox a mini-mint and maybe even an E17.

there will be more KDE Mint editions after this one and they will follow the Ubuntu release cycle which is every 6 months.
The main Mint edition may have minor releases in between major ones but these normally just add new mint tools and updates to applications. eg Mint Celena 3.1
the minor releases can usually be updated to by a simple edit and online update, though we are looking to automate this.

If your system is working how you want it to there is no need to update it every release. you could just check out the live CD each major release and if you feel there are apps there you need then install it otherwise wait for the next one, and repeat.

hope this helps.
lynx

Post by lynx »

Ok now I get it. The reason I was concerned about my need to update is because coming from windows if you don't update your risking a security breach or something. And I was afraid that because I was using Bianca which is not the latest release was putting my pc at risk. I'm new but I'm learning. Thanks for your help.

On a side note that's off topic, I registered to use the board and I received the confirmation email but the link in the email takes me to a dead page so I'm not able to activate my username. Could you by chance help me with that? My username is lynx2cross.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Re:

Post by jbaerbock »

akshunj wrote:
Boo wrote:Progress report.

so far i have converted mintDisk and mintAssistant to install and work with mint KDE.

Boo, I think you've got a unique opportunity coming up here with Daryna. Kubuntu sucks. Seriously. And there are only a few KDE-based distros that are alive and kicking. Suse is becoming desktop agnostic (given it's Novell/Gnome roots, I think this will change), and that really just leaves PCLinuxOS and Mepis. Check out this article about Kubuntu and why it's a disappointment.

A tight release with Mint customizations would really set Mint apart from all of it's competitors. A bit of advice: Please don't be slavish to KDE apps. I don't mean to imply that you have done this, since you obviously included Firefox and Open Office in the previous release. But just keep in mind that sometimes the right tool for the job may be a GTK2 app. Or a QT app.

What can *we* as a supportive community do?

--Akshun J
Looked like a lot of hot air as far as the article was concerned. Art work, who cares since most of us customize our desktop right off the bat. Speed (I Find it faster than normal Ubuntu). In general Kubuntu is just as good a KDE distro as it gets. PCLOS has more bugs and glitches in it than I have ever found in Kubuntu and not to mention all "their" tools they just re-skinned from Mandriva's tools.

Return to “Software & Applications”