[SOLVED] System sounds screwed up...

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] System sounds screwed up...

Post by cmost »

Hi guys. I was fooling around trying to get Pulseaudio to work. Well, it didn't work out so I uninstalled the Pulseaudio stuff and tried to revert back to the default sound system. Well, now I do have sounds, sort of. In the Gnome control center --> sounds, I have everything set to automatic and all sounds work when I hit the 'test' button. In the system sounds tab, however, I cannot get any system sounds to work (i.e., nothing audible is heard when pressing the 'play' button.) Can anyone give me any tips to fix this? I want things just the way they were, if possible. I already went though Synaptic and reinstalled the key components of ALSA, but that didn't seem to fix it. Any ideas? Much appreciated!

My system specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ on ASUS A8N SLI SE
4096 MB DDR 400MHz RAM
GeForce 7300 w 256 MB DDR on 19" wide screen LCD
Linux Mint 3.1 "Celena" x86-32 with Beryl 0.2.x via nVidia driver.
Sound: Nvidia CK804 (alsa)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Not sure if this will help - but last year when I first tried linux i had a ton of sound issues. Ubuntu was part of the culprit and even Bea was a bit touchy depending on the laptop. I linux dude set up the sound and clciked all around to get it to work and sometimes it didn't make sense and I am or was a professional musician and recording dude.

methodically/and systematically click one thing at a time and try all possible variations until you get it to work. it may seem and be a weird combination of settings and also may seem illogical but maybe that will do it.

my current laptop - it worked out of the box.

I did not that if you turn up the subsettings a little hot you do get distortion; but lower the subsettings a bit and use the main volume slider for volume - no distortion then...
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

*** Solved ***

I did some research on my own, and found this little gem:
$sudo apt-get install esound

After that, system sounds working just fine!

The moral of the story? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Pulseaudio not ready for primetime just yet.

Return to “Other topics”