Mint 11 crashes when I play video or DVD [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
na5h

Mint 11 crashes when I play video or DVD [SOLVED]

Post by na5h »

Hi!
Linux Mint 11 crashes every time I try to play a video file (.avi for example) or a DVD. It doesn't matter what player I use. The video starts normally, but as soon as I click on a menu alternative or try to move the window it crashes and the computer returns to the login screen. Any suggestions? I don't wan't to go back to Mint 10 because this is the first version of Mint (or Ubuntu) where my WLAN works flawlessly!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AdamS

Re: Mint 11 crashes when I play video or DVD

Post by AdamS »

It isnt Mint 11.

Most likely driver / kernel / firmware related per hardware used.

The guys here will ask, but your hardware is ?

with what GPU driver ?

What kernel ?

system updated in full ?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You might try updating the nvidea drivers from the xswat ppa repo.

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppas/27

Make certain to back up any important data, just in case.
na5h

Post by na5h »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:It isnt Mint 11.

Most likely driver / kernel / firmware related per hardware used.

The guys here will ask, but your hardware is ?

with what GPU driver ?

What kernel ?

system updated in full ?
VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE/K8N890CE [Chrome 9] (rev 01)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (i686). I haven't had this problem with previous versions of Mint (or Ubuntu).
Edit: Update-method = DVD (fresh install).
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

VIA went out of business years back.

My experience has been very pore and unreliable performance out of via since ubuntu 9.10.
Last edited by AdamS on Mon May 30, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Just to interject a little bit here and to correct a slight misnomer:

Your video chipset is still supported. The video driver is "openchrome." Your video is automatically detected. You will not get 3D acceleration, but you get good 2D performance. So, your issue may be software related due to some kind of installation error.

My video chip is:

Code: Select all

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE/K8N890CE [Chrome 9] [1106:3230] (rev 11)
I can verify Mint 11 GNOME 64-bit will play videos. The only video issue I have seen is that switching workspaces is not as fast as it was in Mint 10.

My main machine with the VIA Chrome 9 video has several drives in it:
  • My main drive runs Debian 6 GNOME 64-bit flawlessly.
    My second drive runs Debian 6 Xfce 64-bit flawlessly.
    My third drive runs Mint GNOME 64-bit just great.
    My fourth drive runs Mint Xfce 64-bit just great.
    My fifth drive runs Mint 11 GNOME 64-bit pretty darn good.
If you have any questions, just post in this thread or PM me. I know this video chipset is not the best, but it is still working just dandy for me.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Famous Mortimer

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Just checking, will I need to install the DVD drivers via the command line like with Ubuntu, or do they work out of the box with Mint?
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

With the Mint 11 DVD, all the multimedia codecs are installed automatically. If you are using the Mint 11 CD no-codecs version, you have to install those, obviously.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
na5h

Post by na5h »

Problem solved! My video was working perfect in Mint 10 and my WLAN was working perfect in Mint 11, so I went back to using Mint 10 but upgraded the kernel to 2.6.39-0-generic. Now both my video playback and WLAN work flawlessly! Thank you all for your time! :D
Famous Mortimer

Post by Famous Mortimer »

rivenathos wrote:With the Mint 11 DVD, all the multimedia codecs are installed automatically. If you are using the Mint 11 CD no-codecs version, you have to install those, obviously.
Cheers for that, I suppose I could have found out by walking ten feet to my pile of DVDs and trying one, so I'm sorry for having to ask :)

Return to “Sound”