Gnome3

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
b.stefan
Level 1
Level 1

Gnome3

Post by b.stefan »

Hi all . I have a question. I installed mint 11.
it comes with gnome 2. My question:
In ubuntu 11.04 you can download it with a PPA. I know its buggy and BETA. Is there any other way to install gnome 3 in mint 11 where it is stable.
Thanks

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Gnome3

Post by remoulder »

b.stefan wrote: I know its buggy and BETA. Is there any other way to install gnome 3 in mint 11 where it is stable
Isn't this a contradiction of terms?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

I was able to get it stable enough to be quite usable.

Don't care for it much thou.

Trick was mostly just updates and theming it out.

99% of it was getting it fully updated.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-I ... 4085.shtml

Thats just the start.

packages will need removed and others added.

While back we looked at gnome3 as a possibility for a distro release, proved to be waste of time.

If your going to go down this road, lot of reading will be needed. Ton of research to get it right.

Have a look at UE OZ link in my sig and use the search feature.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

eric k
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eric k »

I installed the Gnome 3 ppa over an install of Mint 11, played around with it for two days, and went back to the Gnome 2.32 desktop.

There were a number of problems I had trying to do this conversion, and even when I thought I had it all sorted I had inconsistencies that I did not experience running Fedora 15, which comes with Gnome 3 as it's default set-up. Not really surprising, since everything there is natively built to run with GTK 3 and all the underlying libraries, the ppa seems to be a bolt-on, Frankenstein's monster approach.

You can give it a shot, systems and hardware differ and all that, but I didn't find it worthwhile, and will wait for Mint to be officially released with Gnome 3 instead of tinkering again.
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775, Xeon 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2-800, EVGA 8800GT, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA-2

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Crunchbang Waldorf, Mint 13 w/Cinnamon, Elementary Luna Beta, Puppy

Nexus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Nexus »

For me the experience has been pretty good, I've been using Gnome 3/Shell for the past few days and I'm loving it.

The extensions feature is a great new tool for development by 3rd parties and individuals.

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm »

After a fresh installation of LM11, I added Gnome 3 from ppa. Now I have Gnome 3(Fallback session) & the following issues:

- eog editor is so slow(system use nouveau graphic driver). EOG is not a slow with a small images,
but is extremely slow with large images (i see broken images)

- Gnome System Monitor work very well but need 2-5 sec to exit(which is not a case in Gnome 2.3)

- Mint application 'Desktop Settings' seem to have no effect on the Gnome 3

- Exit and logout(mintMenu) buttons not work

Does anyone have the following problems? :?

Return to “MATE”