Taskbar buttons ordering

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edkirin
Level 1
Level 1

Taskbar buttons ordering

Post by edkirin »

Hi.

In Mint 10 I was able to change taskbar application buttons order by dragging it to the new position. Now, in Mint 11 this is not possible. How can I get this feature active again?

It's important to me because I have my usual windows order when I work.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karashata

Re: Taskbar buttons ordering

Post by karashata »

This functionality should still be present... I have run into this issue before but I never was able to trace the cause, sometimes it just happened. Lately I haven't run into this problem (or having applets fail to load, another panel-related issue I used to have...) so I honestly can't say I know what's going on...

I know I used to most often observe this happening if I had to reload the panel because of applets failing to load, perhaps if you try logging out and back in and see if that might fix it...
edkirin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edkirin »

karashata wrote:This functionality should still be present... I have run into this issue before but I never was able to trace the cause, sometimes it just happened. Lately I haven't run into this problem (or having applets fail to load, another panel-related issue I used to have...) so I honestly can't say I know what's going on...

I know I used to most often observe this happening if I had to reload the panel because of applets failing to load, perhaps if you try logging out and back in and see if that might fix it...
Logging out doesn't help. What is interesting is that I preserve my home directory together with all config files. Everything looks the same, everything works the same as before, except this button ordering.
karashata

Post by karashata »

Hm, well I don't know why it wouldn't work properly for you when it works just fine for me lately... Unless one of the bugs in Compiz could possibly be affecting it somehow, I did downgrade from the buggy rewritten 0.9.4 version to the more stable 0.8.6 version... Even if it might not fix the problem I would kind of recommend downgrading if you're particularly fond of Compiz since the older version doesn't crash nearly as much or show any of the other bugs I've observed in the rewritten version... There's a PPA here if you want to...

Anyway, back on topic a little more. I don't know what would break reordering the window list buttons for you, but I do hope you find a fix for it.
edkirin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edkirin »

karashata wrote:Hm, well I don't know why it wouldn't work properly for you when it works just fine for me lately... Unless one of the bugs in Compiz could possibly be affecting it somehow, I did downgrade from the buggy rewritten 0.9.4 version to the more stable 0.8.6 version... Even if it might not fix the problem I would kind of recommend downgrading if you're particularly fond of Compiz since the older version doesn't crash nearly as much or show any of the other bugs I've observed in the rewritten version... There's a PPA here if you want to...

Anyway, back on topic a little more. I don't know what would break reordering the window list buttons for you, but I do hope you find a fix for it.
Thanks for the help. I'll check if downgrade is the way to go.
maxdule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxdule »

I thought that this wasn't working too (Linux Mint 11 Gnome) - but it seems that it's just a little bit unusual behavior.

Somehow it seems as focus is lost, but when this happens - it works for me to move window handle completely to the bottom - and the item is reordered. Then it starts working fine for some time.

I hope that I was clear enough, I attached a screenshot to make my conclusion less weird. :mrgreen:
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

Same problem here, buttons of open applications in the panel cannot be moved. Haven't touched since the install so it's probably not that. Kind of a bummer ...
maxdule
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxdule »

Another suggestion - since I removed proprietary ATI drivers (Dell Inspiron 1545) problem seems to be gone.

P.S. Removing these drivers also resolved issue with "suspend" when laptop lid is closed (there is thread on the forum right about that one) that I've been dealing with since "Isadora" version.

EDIT: False alarm unfortunately, problem appeared again. Changing theme (switching from "Aurora Mint" back to default) temporarily solved issue.

I also have problem with notification area application icons - VLC icon sometimes does not appear, Skype icon is never there etc. I haven't found a thread related to 11 version.

Return to “MATE”