Black Splash Screen = Bad Idea..

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arv3n
Level 1
Level 1

Black Splash Screen = Bad Idea..

Post by Arv3n »

just reeks of unprofessionalism to me. can't get the splash screen working so make it pure black. Genius! i mean, i get text during boot and everything so its not even a black screen but a terminal with black text then switches to a black screen.

edit: i don't want to seem mad, because i'm really not i just think its funny how much sense this doesn't make. im wondering why this hasnt been brought up before anyhow.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
z06gal

Re: Black Splash Screen = Bad Idea..

Post by z06gal »

I believe Clem mentioned this in the release notes of the rc. I just installed the mint plymouth theme via synaptic and it works fine. It may have been buggy or something for him to not include it. :wink:
karashata

Post by karashata »

I think the biggest thing was consistency between different hardware configurations, some hardware doesn't seem to display the splash theme properly, resulting in a rather ugly looking boot sequence for some people. By making it completely blank, it looks consistent regardless. I believe someone also mentioned that it was more difficult to even get the splash theme working correctly on the 11.04 base than it was on the 10.10 base, but I can't recall where I read that.

All I know for sure is, I missed the old theme so I found it in the repo and installed it, and it still looks and works for me just like it did on Julia.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

download and install via synaptic

Code: Select all

plymouth-theme-mint-logo

plymouth-theme-mint-text
You will notice natty also has the splash removed, for a reason.

Natty changed how the startup took place with GPU drivers via kernel.

Works fine on most systems to use the splash, on some it does not.

Arv3n - might want to use search next time, seen at least a dozen of these threads my self over the last few days.

Also helps to read release notes. Might not make sense to you, your taking your understanding out of context. It made perfect sense to the dev's.

Giving the fact I have made 4 of my own distro's now with natty. I under stand quite well what had to be dealt with.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Another reason behind this was that the startup and shutdown times are now so quick on many machines that the little blip of a logo or text might seem even more unprofessional than having it blacked out. Personally I like it this way, but as with all things: your mileage may vary.
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

Looks fine to me, I really prefer It this way. :)
Arv3n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arv3n »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:download and install via synaptic

plymouth-theme-mint-logo

plymouth-theme-mint-text
You will notice natty also has the splash removed, for a reason.

Natty changed how the startup took place with GPU drivers via kernel.

Works fine on most systems to use the splash, on some it does not.

Arv3n - might want to use search next time, seen at least a dozen of these threads my self over the last few days.

Also helps to read release notes. Might not make sense to you, your taking your understanding out of context. It made perfect sense to the dev's.

Giving the fact I have made 4 of my own distro's now with natty. I under stand quite well what had to be dealt with.
I tried installing the plymouth theme, but it just shows the boot text during boot up where it should show the splash screen.

So it goes grub --> black screen --> boot text --> gdm. It works on ubuntu. What's the problem here?
Noobscratcher

Post by Noobscratcher »

in general anything that is linux that has got such a wide choice range is generally something that will have problems and because of that so many people don't mind it having problems the knowing of that generalization is the drive of that fact which ****** me off lol
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Kendall wrote:Another reason behind this was that the startup and shutdown times are now so quick on many machines that the little blip of a logo or text might seem even more unprofessional than having it blacked out. Personally I like it this way, but as with all things: your mileage may vary.
+1.

I find that Mint 10 boots so rapidly for me that I don't miss a splash screen at all - but that's just my own preference!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”