You can't deny that Mint 11 looks horribly dated now

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HorrorCode

Re: You can't deny that Mint 11 looks horribly dated now

Post by HorrorCode »

very well said. if not for the e350 line of netbooks being so new, id still be on mint 9 and happy with it, i just dont have the patience to build my own kernel, so i leave that to the real devs, and then customize everything else to my own liking. i do like the approach of netbook editions etc though, but i cant see running anything that uses js and css which have both been so buggy in web pages, on my local machine...

but the point of this subject was how it looks ootb. so the real question is, what are these so called differences between unity and gnome 3 that make unity better, or worse for any matter?
t3g

Post by t3g »

I've tried Fedora with Gnome 3 and even messed around with Gnome Ubuntu Remix and Unity still feels more polished. I'm not basing my viewpoint on Gnome Remix, but more on Fedora which is a final and non beta release. Someone referenced people saying that older movies are "bad" because of their age and that is not the case because I love older movies and prefer most of them to the Hollywood drivel. Movies and operating systems are two different things because one is for entertainment and the other is a tool.

The default Ubuntu theme is still ugly as hell and thats why I usually install the Mint themes and Mint icons. As for the top panel and the side panel usage, Unity is more intuitive because it is always open and gets out of the way in fullscreen. I hate that Gnome 3 requires the pressing of the Activities button and that can be extra work at times.

Plus, SUSE will adobe Unity and we will have to see how they handle it as well. I run LMDE on my main computer (Ubuntu is on laptop) and I'm curious in the direction that is taking. Canonical wouldn't be making such an investment if they didn't think it would pay off in the end. They know that the people stuck in their ways who are scared of change (common trait with older computer engineers) and took a real risk knowing that the stubborn will always be vocal in something they find different.
Last edited by t3g on Mon May 30, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Each to there own lol

Unity for me = black listed
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

well not to add more to the fire, but when i try disabling certain features in compiz, it starts crashing and gives errors coming from unity. so while were against it, its still being forced on us, i've just decided to drop back to mint 10 due to this, theres way too many bugs in 11 & unity to make any sense of it imho, the point of this distro was something clean, and elegant, correct me if im wrong, thats 10, but not 11, at least not yet.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

ya lost me.

Mint 11 gnome is gnome 2 old school with no unity.

Yes compiz and gnome are unstable together.

Mint 11 with compiz, once ya know. Flawless here.

Your telling me you installed unity into mint 11 ?
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

well i dont know what it is, but no i didnt install anything. under a fresh install if you go into compiz settings and go down and disable "Bailer" compiz starts acting up and it crashes, and then I get this window popping up titled unity-window-decorator. maybe this is part of compiz? you can see the title on the panel, and the 2nd ss shows its just a big blank window. im stumped, but compiz is glitchy regardless....
Screenshot.png
Screenshot-1.png
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

There are a lot of complaints on the Ubuntu forums about Compiz in Natty (and in particular in the classic interface). Most of the ones that I saw recommend complete removal (purge) of Compiz followed by a reinstall. That doesn't seem to work for everyone, however.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

Well, it doesn't 'work' for me as I can't justify upgrading for much else than the new compiz features and the kernel, take one away and I'm better off with 10, I'll go ahead and keep 11 updated on sda2 and see how it progresses though, I'm sure it will smoothen out over the coming weeks.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

t3g wrote:It looks the same as Mint 10, which was released half a year ago and the default look of this distro is starting to really look its age.
..he default look of this distro is starting to really look its age.
Not sure what that means, trendy is nothing to worry about
--if it was trendy that mattered to everyone; as soon as a new version of an OS was available, everyone (those people/users) would rush out to buy the newer versions, and immediately abandon the old, even as they knew how it worked
  • OK, that sometimes happens
  • IPad for example
  • Windows Vista not..
I don't know about that, there is something to be said for having a stable image, stable desktop look: people know what to expect
  • I seem to remember windows OS having the same look from about the NT/win9x era, right up to the windows XP versions..
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The Windows 9X look is still possible on Windows Vista (my father is using it on Vista Business). It's not limited to XP and older. I don't know about 7.

And the Start Menu that has been there from Windows 95 on, can still be used up to Windows 7. It even looks fine using the Aero theme.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

DrHu wrote:
t3g wrote:It looks the same as Mint 10, which was released half a year ago and the default look of this distro is starting to really look its age.
..he default look of this distro is starting to really look its age.
Not sure what that means, trendy is nothing to worry about
--if it was trendy that mattered to everyone; as soon as a new version of an OS was available, everyone (those people/users) would rush out to buy the newer versions, and immediately abandon the old, even as they knew how it worked
  • OK, that sometimes happens
  • IPad for example
  • Windows Vista not..
I don't know about that, there is something to be said for having a stable image, stable desktop look: people know what to expect
  • I seem to remember windows OS having the same look from about the NT/win9x era, right up to the windows XP versions..

Post of the day :wink:
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

Yes - but a mature interface is GOOD!! The desire to fix what isn't broken seems to be infecting the other distros, I'm glad Mint hasn't followed that trend.
gogogadget

Post by gogogadget »

It's not only that it looks dated, it *is* outdated and won't allow a clean update anymore, because it's still G2. So it's not futurproof.

@Guru: I'm sorry, but the screenshots you posted look dated and the theme is really ugly (worse than windows 7). The Gnome3 shell looks (and is) much more sophisticated.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Well I guess this is one of those to each his own things. I LOVE the way Mint looks and more importantly, I love the fact that it is stable. After coming from Windows Vista - the worst os ever - I couldn't be more happy. If you like Gnome 3 then install it. Once again, customize it the way you want it. What is ugly to you may be beautiful to another. What else do you want for free? Unreal
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

gogogadget wrote:It's not only that it looks dated, it *is* outdated and won't allow a clean update anymore, because it's still G2. So it's not futurproof.

@Guru: I'm sorry, but the screenshots you posted look dated and the theme is really ugly (worse than windows 7). The Gnome3 shell looks (and is) much more sophisticated.
umm looking at windows 7 as we speak, nope windows 7 is much uglier.

Luckily for me, your viewpoint is quite literally a highly few and far between view point.

Reading threw your posts on this forum, I see your the type that is next to utterly impossible to please lol.

yes, just did little research on ya. Your tone reminded me of a few clients that I could just never please.

So I sent them to my competitors to put them back on windows, to get rid of them and yep. They could not please them ether lol.

They tried to come back to me and I washed my hands of them. Life's to short to allow that kind of never ending stress.
t3g

Post by t3g »

Gúrú, your responses are painful to read.

None of what you say has any flow to it and when you do actually say something, sounds like you are preaching some holier than thou religious rant.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:
gogogadget wrote:It's not only that it looks dated, it *is* outdated and won't allow a clean update anymore, because it's still G2. So it's not futurproof.

umm looking at windows 7 as we speak, nope windows 7 is much uglier.

Luckily for me, your viewpoint is quite literally a highly few and far between view point.

Reading threw your posts on this forum, I see your the type that is next to utterly impossible to please lol.

yes, just did little research on ya. Your tone reminded me of a few clients that I could just never please.

So I sent them to my competitors to put them back on windows, to get rid of them and yep. They could not please them ether lol.

They tried to come back to me and I washed my hands of them. Life's to short to allow that kind of never ending stress.
I'm a critic myself, so I know where he's coming from. I think a 'noobs' first outlook on the situation is always that it should work and look as well as where were migrating from, in the case of Windows 7, that is just as easy to accomplish as it is with any other win* release. Either they can't install themes themselves, or they'd rather have Windows 7, I'm stumped.

If you want it to look and act like 7, use 7, right? Otherwise find a decent Windows 7 UI clone theme, and use it, it's not very hard. http://gnome-look.org/ should get you started. If you have some other idea, for instance that you can easily go and edit your windows UI to your own liking, and use whatever panels, borders, controls, icons, colors, etc, all that you chose, then your mistaken. I'm not sure even windows blinds can do that Lol.

Just because one persons UI preferences differ from your own, doesn't mean Windows 7 looks better than any gnome release, but hey, if you think that strongly about it, rock out with your Windows.
kvv

Post by kvv »

gogogadget wrote:@Guru: I'm sorry, but the screenshots you posted look dated and the theme is really ugly (worse than windows 7). The Gnome3 shell looks (and is) much more sophisticated.
Sigh.. But, most people want a simple desktop, not a sophisticated desktop. But, if you really want gnome shell that badly, you may have to wait until mint12 or shift to fedora.

But, it is true that Windows 7 has a bit more polish when it comes to looks compared to any Linux DE that I have used, although that's not apparent from his screenshot. But, mint look is not outdated in any sense IMO.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Windows has paid people who have made the look of Win XP to 7. And at Mint you get it for free. This is sort of comparing apples and oranges.

But anyway, if we'd post a call for designers on the forum we'd soon get great themes for Mint.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
t3g

Post by t3g »

AlbertP wrote:Windows has paid people who have made the look of Win XP to 7. And at Mint you get it for free. This is sort of comparing apples and oranges.

But anyway, if we'd post a call for designers on the forum we'd soon get great themes for Mint.
Themes for both Gnome 3 Shell and Unity would be awesome

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”