Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ESM
Level 2
Level 2

LM11 and Google Earth 6 ..again fonts

Post by ESM »

The fonts of Google Earth 6 are again as ugly as years ago in version 4 or 5.... In Mint10 with 5.5 everything was okay. What can we do to solve this and get the normal fonts of Mint also in GE?
ESM
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LM11 and Google Earth 6 ..again fonts

Post by ESM »

Am I the only one with this question? I find it strange that no one tries to answer or something... The fonts are not up to the Mint standard at all.
Chipesh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chipesh »

I can't believe how bad Google Earth is in Mint 11. I can't even read the fonts as they are too small. There are no places on as well even with it ticked.

With all the graphics problems Mint 11 is the worst release ever.

Bob
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

Have you tried changing the font and font size??

Tools-options-3D view-fonts.........................
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

Chipesh wrote:I can't believe how bad Google Earth is in Mint 11. I can't even read the fonts as they are too small.
Change font size....
Chipesh wrote:With all the graphics problems Mint 11 is the worst release ever.

Bob
I am running Mint 11 on a laptop and have not experienced any graphics issues.

If you are having graphics issues it could be your graphics card.. I would look into that before blaming the OS.
ESM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ESM »

Dear Colyn,

First: I use the drivers provided by Ubuntu/Mint for my Nvidia. Second: this card was also used in Mint 10, also with the provided driver from Mint. In mint10 everything looked awesome in GE. In 11 it's a tiny, ugly, font that I, and others, see. And that has nothing to do with changing the fonts too in GE. They are only for the 3D fonts in the maps, not for the rest of the program. So please stop saying the stuff you did.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

ESM wrote:Am I the only one with this question? I find it strange that no one tries to answer or something... The fonts are not up to the Mint standard at all.
I also have the same problem, and am revisit this thread from time to time to see if there are any solutions.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
mfreeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mfreeman »

Yep. Same problem here. In Mint 10, GE fonts were beautiful and smooth. In Mint 11, GE fonts are not anti-aliased at all. I've tried every solution I could find. The closest I could get was to replace the libraries in GE with native ones, but this rendered UI elements (such as tab frames and checkboxes) invisible. I'd rather have bad-looking fonts than not be able to see what Layers are turned on. This isn't a show-stopper, but it's kind of annoying to have such nice looking fonts everywhere else, and then have GE fonts looking like a program from the early 90's. Hope a solution is presented soon!
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

ESM wrote:Dear Colyn,

First: I use the drivers provided by Ubuntu/Mint for my Nvidia. Second: this card was also used in Mint 10, also with the provided driver from Mint. In mint10 everything looked awesome in GE. In 11 it's a tiny, ugly, font that I, and others, see. And that has nothing to do with changing the fonts too in GE. They are only for the 3D fonts in the maps, not for the rest of the program.

Have you considered that you may have hardware issues. Each new version tends to drop support for some hardware Or.......there can be compatibility issues such as drivers etc. This is not uncommon with Linux.

As for the font issue I have not had any problems. Mine is readable and of the right size etc. And I wear glasses..

Since most users don't seem to be having issues I'd have to say the problem is compatibility/hardware issues with some computers.

If you installed GG from the repo I'd suggest purging GG and reinstall using the method described here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... th#p362914

This will build a package to your individual system.. It may or may not fix your problem but is worth a try.

ESM wrote: So please stop saying the stuff you did.
So...........are you telling me I cannot speak??? That's called censorship and I will not be censored...

If the mods think that I am speaking out of line, they will let me know...not you..

If you put people down for trying to help you, people will quit helping you.............

EDIT:

I just realized that Mint 11 is using xorg 1.10.1

This could be an issue since it has known nvidea and ATI driver issues. Unless you are using Intel graphics this can affect rendering. If you have desktop effects enabled try disabling then reboot. If you are using Intel graphics then this is not the problem since 1.10.1 is Intel friendly.

The issues should be fixed in 1.10.2...
ESM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ESM »

Nice to see that you have changed your posting with that EDIT. I was not the only one by the way, more people are complaining. And keep on ranting about hardware is not needed. I have a PC that is filled with stuff that is not a year old and thus has fairly new hardware. It worked awesome with Windows 7, and it does with Mint and others. It was just GE which gives problems. I hope for a new driver too! And soon, if possible. Or can i install an old one?
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

Installed Mint 11 on my nvidea chipped laptop, upgraded it then installed GoogleEarth via the method in my previous post. Font rendering is fine so xorg may not be the issue.

You might try upgrading your kernel to the 2.6.39.1 oneric as described at this link. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=kernel

I may try it on my ATI chipped machine this weekend to see what happens..

Return to “Software & Applications”