Delete default bottom panel

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kindofabuzz

Delete default bottom panel

Post by kindofabuzz »

Why is this not an option? "Delete this panel" is grayed out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hemimaniac

Re: Delete default bottom panel

Post by hemimaniac »

if you are using docky or AWN you can simply remove the panel by opening gconf-editor then Desktop > Gnome > Session > and required components

take out gnome panel and insert youre manager of choice
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

That still doesn't tell me why I can't just delete the panel.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

I don't know, maybe the *buntu and Mint creators got tired of the whole "OMG please help, my panel has disappeared!" question, as you may or may not know, Mint is Based on Ubuntu, but the mint gang can't fix everything, maybe ask the panel question over there.

Also, one may always set it to hide
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As a safety feature, to prevent accidental deletion of the only panel, the bottom panel cannot be deleted via the panel properties window until a second panel is added. There is the option of putting the panel in auto-hide mode, or follow hemimaniac's advice and delete the panel through gconf-editor.
exhipigeonist

Post by exhipigeonist »

Hi!

I'm trying to work out how to stop the Gnome Panel starting in Mint 11(64) and noticed that gnome-panel isn't listed in the 'desktop>gnome>session>required-components' area anymore. I just want awn awl the time, and don't want an open (hidden) panel on my desktop I don't use!

Does anyone know of a simple way to stop gnome-panel from starting in Mint 11? I've heard 'Ubuntu Tweaks' may be able to do it, but I'm hesitant to install more software in order to remove something that should be fairly simple.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

exhipigeonist:
How to fully replace your GNOME panels with AWN
See "Step 4".

go and sin no more.
david4dev

Post by david4dev »

I've found that the trick of removing it from the required components doesn't work anymore. I don't know if this is a bug, deliberate or just me. The method I use is to create a custom session without gnome-panel. I find this works really well but there is a downside that it won't start the freedesktop autostart items (which hasn't been a problem for me).
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

We just need to Tinker Harder then! :wink:
exhipigeonist

Post by exhipigeonist »

david4dev wrote:I've found that the trick of removing it from the required components doesn't work anymore. I don't know if this is a bug, deliberate or just me. The method I use is to create a custom session without gnome-panel. I find this works really well but there is a downside that it won't start the freedesktop autostart items (which hasn't been a problem for me).
Thank you! This works perfectly. I don't know what the freedesktop autostart items are, so it shouldn't be a problem for me, either.

For anyone else reading along at home, after following the helpful instructions linked above, I just went to the 'Preferences => Login Screen' window and set 'User Defined Session' to the default session. Just remember to do all these steps for each user that doesn't want gnome-panel. (There may be a way to do this universally, but these steps are more than sufficient for my computer with only two users.)

Thanks again, david4dev!

ETA: Odd. By changing the default session to 'User Defined Session' in my login, this changed the default for both users. (Not sure how this got rid of gnome-panel in the other account when the only .xinitrc file is in my own home folder they don't have access to.) This led to good results on my computer (the other account is already using awn), but it is probably good to mention that others should be careful trying this if there may be some current or future accounts on their computer who may actually want to use gnome-panel.
gurpal2000

Post by gurpal2000 »

Is there any 2015 solution to this. It is possible to killall mate-panel but then it restarts.
I'm using an alternative (eg. tint2) but this remaining bit of panel hanging around is plain annoying.

EDIT: bit brutal but i did sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/mate-panel. System seems stable for now...

thx
bluethirdup

Post by bluethirdup »

There is an answer here by passerby.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=145920

Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/bin/mate-panel /usr/bin/mate-panel.old
then log out and back in. No more mate-panel on login.

Return to “MATE”