LMDE 32/64 samba breakage after update [solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 32/64 samba breakage after update [solved]

Post by colossus75 »

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone else ran into this. During the last batch or 2 of updates..my samba networking broke.

I do have a clonezilla image from 2 weeks ago. I normally create a new image prior to installing new updates...just in case. I can fall back to it if I need to. Tho, I'd get hit with over 200 or so updates. Under synaptic, most of the updates are priority 3, is it okay to leave some of them behind..or is it better practice to upgrade what shows up? I had an issue with gstreamer and xorg-common from a few updates back..so I have been holding off on those.

Except now..since my LMDE 32/64 box is my file-sharing/print server/2nd workstation. The samba related side, file/print sharing..has been knocked out within the last round or so of updates. My mint helena run laptop can no longer access the network printer and the samba share I had. I actually get stuck at the login. I double checked the samba user I had set up and saved a fresh samba password..to no avail. Still can not access.

From my Windows XP machine, I can see the LMDE box on the windows workgroup..but when I try to click on it or access it, windows comes back telling me that I don't have admin rights.

Any thoughts on this appreciated. Thanks.

07-20-2011 Update :
well after getting my ibm laptop up to speed running Mint Isadora 32bit LTS, and setting the printer up as windows shared printer from isadora to my LMDE box, everything seems to be working again, the printer and the shared directory. Thanks for those who replied.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
16 GB Kllisre DDR3-1333 MHz ECC
500GB Samsung Evo 860 2.5" SATA SSD [OS]
2TB (main data drive EXT4)
2TB (backup data drive EXT4)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LMDE 32/64 samba breakage after update

Post by altair4 »

First make sure these services have started in this exact order and see if you can connect:

Code: Select all

sudo service cups restart
sudo service samba restart
Second, run this diagnostic to see if there are any errors:

smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colossus75 »

altair4 wrote:First make sure these services have started in this exact order and see if you can connect:

sudo service cups restart
sudo service samba restart
Second, run this diagnostic to see if there are any errors:

smbtree
It did not reveal any errors.

Since Mint Helena expired and I am now on Mint Isadora 32bit on my laptop. I did notice when trying to add the printer (Samsung ML-1210), when it auto-finds it..and adds..it as dnssd rather than samba. any thoughts on that?
Last edited by colossus75 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Do you mean dnssd? That's avahi which is rather curious.

You didn't install Samb4 on that box by any chance, did you?

I haven't noticed any changes from the updates - well not with Samba anyway.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colossus75 »

altair4 wrote:Do you mean dnssd? That's avahi which is rather curious.

You didn't install Samb4 on that box by any chance, did you?

I haven't noticed any changes from the updates - well not with Samba anyway.
Yes, dnssd is correct, that's what shows when trying to auto-add the printer when I am on 32bit Isadora.

I don't believe I installed Samb4 on my LMDE 32bit or 64 bit.
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
asermax

Post by asermax »

I have a similar problem with my LMDE, some time ago the samba server started acting oddly.
The only way i could find to make the network function so other PC's can access to my printer, is restarting samba through "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart"; it's a bother to do it everytime someone needs to use the printer, but oh well, i got used to it. Anyway, hope someone finds how to solve this issue u_u

Return to “LMDE Archive”