Changing from Mint10 to Mint11

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stennie

Changing from Mint10 to Mint11

Post by Stennie »

Are there any good reasons to change from Linuxmint10 to Linuxmint11.
I can't convince myself that I need to change over. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: Changing from Mint10 to Mint11

Post by Kendall »

The underlying code base is a little newer, the boot time is a little faster, and some of the apps are more current. Outside of that there should be no major reason to upgrade. With some PPA's you should be able to get current app versions on Mint 10 for just about everything that's widely used.
SunWukong

Post by SunWukong »

Kendall wrote:The underlying code base is a little newer, the boot time is a little faster, and some of the apps are more current. Outside of that there should be no major reason to upgrade. With some PPA's you should be able to get current app versions on Mint 10 for just about everything that's widely used.
Kendall's right. I'm extremely happy with Linux Mint 10, and don't plan to upgrade until Mint 12 is released. Doing things like replacing OpenOffice.org with LibreOffice and installing Banshee were a snap. Really, if you're comfortable with what you have, I would say you should just stick with it.
kvv

Post by kvv »

SunWukong wrote:Kendall's right. I'm extremely happy with Linux Mint 10, and don't plan to upgrade until Mint 12 is released. Doing things like replacing OpenOffice.org with LibreOffice and installing Banshee were a snap. Really, if you're comfortable with what you have, I would say you should just stick with it.
Make that 13 which is the LTS version, which is when I expect Gnome 3 Linux Mint to really stabilize, so to speak. It is pretty easy to get the latest versions of firefox, chrome, libreoffice and media players on mint 10.
SunWukong

Post by SunWukong »

kvv wrote:
SunWukong wrote:Kendall's right. I'm extremely happy with Linux Mint 10, and don't plan to upgrade until Mint 12 is released. Doing things like replacing OpenOffice.org with LibreOffice and installing Banshee were a snap. Really, if you're comfortable with what you have, I would say you should just stick with it.
Make that 13 which is the LTS version, which is when I expect Gnome 3 Linux Mint to really stabilize, so to speak. It is pretty easy to get the latest versions of firefox, chrome, libreoffice and media players on mint 10.
I'm patient, but I don't think I'm that patient. I'm a tad too curious about Gnome 3 to wait two whole releases before I try it out. :P
Belgiumarthur

Post by Belgiumarthur »

I'm going to upgrade because the ati drivers don't work on my pc on mint 10. :?
Are the drivers going to work in mint 11?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

There is only one way to find out. Test it!
AcolyteVersion1

Post by AcolyteVersion1 »

I must say, I made the leap from Mint 9 to Ubuntu 11.04, then after a few weeks of being reminded why I loved Mint in the first place, I leapt over to Mint 11. There are a few quirks in 11 that make me miss my 9 install... though that might be more familiarity and comfort in my old set up than anything else (I really need to set up AWN and Conky again).

The big thing with any Mint / *buntu update is the newer software. Getting Firefox 4 without having to jump through any PPA hoops is nice (though, ironically this change saw me move over to Chromium). If there's software you just have to have kept up to date, that's where the distro upgrade will likely shine.

There was a nice bonus to 11 making the OSD on my netbook run properly, but that was a little mitigated by having to install a new kernel to avoid kernel panics due to a wireless issue. In the end, I actually wound up using LMDE instead of 11, and have been ridiculously impressed so far.

I've learned one thing from the upgrade process, though, and that's that it's nice to have the freedom to hop around, without having to abandon everything you've already set up. As a result, I'm now running dual partitions on both desktop and netbook so that I can alternate between distros / releases on each partition, without having to totally lose my "main" OS every time. Stuck all my data on a third partition and I can boot into either of my two very different installs pretty seamlessly.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Not that spring to mind. You could have a higher version number by 1. 10 + 1 = 11 after all, lol.

Actually ... like many things nixish. Really comes down to preference I guess. How hawt are you to have it ? Either way with hdd's being so large and nix OS installs being so small. If you really want to try it. Not like you can't keep Mint 10 too. 11 has a 6 month longer support cycle I guess. Errrr ... really no, not seeing all that many reasons to jump on the band wagon if what you have now is working fine for you. Plus if you drag your feet awhile longer. Mint 12 might be out, then you'll really have a dilemma going. :D

As per above ... no reason you can't try some of Mints other stuff out though. More than likely best way to tell what's best for you and you'll like the most. Is giving it a test drive/try out. Sticking with it comes down to preferences. The kind of person you are. Your goals and needs, your hardware. How much time you have on your hands to experiment and dink with software ... etc. Haven't tried Mint 11, liked 10 well enough ... So whatever ya do, you're probably better off not listening to me.

:D
Stennie

Post by Stennie »

After reading many posts on this forum I've decided to stick with MInt 10.
Mint 11 seems to have lots more problems and is not as stable as Mint 10.

Will wait and see what Mint 12 brings.... :D
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Stennie wrote:After reading many posts on this forum I've decided to stick with MInt 10.
Mint 11 seems to have lots more problems and is not as stable as Mint 10.

Will wait and see what Mint 12 brings.... :D
The Mint 11 bugs do not hit everyone the same way, some users have no big problems running Mint 11. Only by testing it on your hardware can you be sure.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”