Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hamtastesgood

Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by hamtastesgood »

Why aren't there as many people on this forum as on Ubuntu forums? The people on this forum don't seem to be as knowledgeable.
ThistleWeb

Re: Why is there so little traffic on this forum?

Post by ThistleWeb »

Interesting flamebait you got going there. If that were true, there wouldn't be much traffic to see your question, and we wouldn't be knowledgeable enough to guess at an answer. Or it could be that we miss it in the flood of new posts, who knows?

I would be curious to have your explanation for both assertions, why there's not much traffic, and why we're not as knowledgeable.

I'd say things to keep in mind, first that Ubuntu are far larger than many distros put together, there are also corporate backed, so size is relative. Secondly, painting us all with the brush stroke of "not as knowledgeable" is not a great way to start when you ask for help, it sets you off on the wrong foot, where we might take umbridge with the statement and withdraw any help from you, even if we could help and otherwise would have.
hamtastesgood

Post by hamtastesgood »

ThistleWeb wrote:Interesting flamebait you got going there. If that were true, there wouldn't be much traffic to see your question, and we wouldn't be knowledgeable enough to guess at an answer. Or it could be that we miss it in the flood of new posts, who knows?

I would be curious to have your explanation for both assertions, why there's not much traffic, and why we're not as knowledgeable.

I'd say things to keep in mind, first that Ubuntu are far larger than many distros put together, there are also corporate backed, so size is relative. Secondly, painting us all with the brush stroke of "not as knowledgeable" is not a great way to start when you ask for help, it sets you off on the wrong foot, where we might take umbridge with the statement and withdraw any help from you, even if we could help and otherwise would have.
Corporate backed? I thought Linux was free.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Define "free". It's open sourced, large parts are developed by individual users, either as paid roles, or in their spare time, but plenty of large corps also contribute to projects like the kernel. Most distros are community based, which means they rely on donations, advertising, and members of their community to develop, test, spread the word, and help users in IRC and the forums. They don't have any corporate HQ, or paid staff on hand to deal with any of that, it's all volunteer led.

Ubuntu has a corporate backer called Canonical, they have resources to hold developer summits, pay people to do specific jobs they need doing, fund programs etc. Fedora is a RedHat project, so they're corporate backed too, albeit Fedora seem to have more autonomy. OpenSUSE is corporate backed too, but since Novell were sold and broken up, the future of OpenSUSE is very much a question right now.
hamtastesgood

Post by hamtastesgood »

ThistleWeb wrote:Define "free". It's open sourced, large parts are developed by individual users, either as paid roles, or in their spare time, but plenty of large corps also contribute to projects like the kernel. Most distros are community based, which means they rely on donations, advertising, and members of their community to develop, test, spread the word, and help users in IRC and the forums. They don't have any corporate HQ, or paid staff on hand to deal with any of that, it's all volunteer led.

Ubuntu has a corporate backer called Canonical, they have resources to hold developer summits, pay people to do specific jobs they need doing, fund programs etc. Fedora is a RedHat project, so they're corporate backed too, albeit Fedora seem to have more autonomy. OpenSUSE is corporate backed too, but since Novell were sold and broken up, the future of OpenSUSE is very much a question right now.
How much do individual users get paid? What's the kernel? How does Canonical find these people?
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

I smell a troll.
hamtastesgood

Post by hamtastesgood »

ThistleWeb wrote:I smell a troll.
I'm not a troll. I just don't know much about computers or Linux.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Well then it makes your assumption that people here are "not knowledgeable" even more ridiculous!
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

brawnypandora0 all over again.......
det4100

Running Mint Debian
hamtastesgood

Post by hamtastesgood »

I asked this question

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=74681

before I made this thread you're reading right now.

If you think you are knowledgeable, why hasn't this Java problem been solved yet?
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

In case you haven't figured this out yet, volunteers are under NO obligation to lift a finger when they see someone who refuses to help themselves, or decides a good approach is to throw about general insults as an obvious attempt at reverse psychology. "Tell them I don't rate their knowledge, then they'll go even harder to prove me wrong", except with volunteers it doesn't work, they just withdraw their skills and leave you to figure it out on your own. If nothing else, it'll teach you to Google it for yourself. If you have paid support, there are staff who's job it is to find you a solution, no matter how much of a PITA you are.

So many of your questions are VERY simple things that can easily be found with a little research. Starting multiple threads for the same thing just annoys people, as does this flamebait post. If you don't know the answers to some very basic Linux questions such as those you ask, then almost EVERYONE here is more knowledgeable than you currently are, which gives you NO claim over judging us.

In general Linux forums and communities are happy to help others who are willing to help themselves, and have an attitude of willing to learn. It seems you've gotten off on the wrong foot here with some very misguided assumptions and statements. It might be a good idea to step back, take a deep breath and start again, as it's very hard to get help when people ignore you.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

hamtastesgood wrote:...If you think you are knowledgeable, why hasn't this Java problem been solved yet?
Fix it yourself. This isn't Burger King.
Linux (in all flavors) is self-serve.
What? You think your "special" somehow or that you are the only one who can't play online java* games using LinuxMint?

Your Posts are littered with insufficient knowledge about anything. RAM, Kernel, Java/Javascript, IcedTea.
Get a clue, try wikipedia if you can find it.

Come back when you've matured.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

How to find the answer to my own question

go and sin no more.

You are on Double Secret Probation.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

hamtastesgood,

In this topic

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 81&start=0

You asked a question that was answered correctly at least six times by at least four different people but you either could not or would not understand when you were told that Java came preinstalled on Mint 10 and 11.

I can add from recent checks that it also comes preinstalled on Mint 9. I am posting this from a 10 year old Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop I am rehabbing with Mint 9 XFCE. Without installing anything, I clicked on your link to the Facebook chess site you are trying to use and played a complete game of chess against their computer (I lost).

If you are still having trouble with this, I would suggest you examine your own actions rather than call names that are in no way deserved. In my view and estimation, the only one exhibiting a lack of knowledge here is YOU.
ThistleWeb wrote:I smell a troll.
From all I have seen so far in this and your other posts, I tend to agree.
hamtastesgood

Post by hamtastesgood »

If it's installed, then how come it's still not working? Also, why doesn't C++ compete with Java for applets? It seems Java has a monopoly.
Tony.B

Post by Tony.B »

@ hamtastesgood

In writing this comment, I'm trying to be mindful of the fact that your primary language may not be English, although your username seems to refute this.

If you rephrased your questions, you might get more positive responses. "Java does not appear to be working on my system; can somebody help me with this please?" would be much better than "If it's installed, then how come it's still not working?"
hamtastesgood

Post by hamtastesgood »

Tony.B wrote:@ hamtastesgood

In writing this comment, I'm trying to be mindful of the fact that your primary language may not be English, although your username seems to refute this.

If you rephrased your questions, you might get more positive responses. "Java does not appear to be working on my system; can somebody help me with this please?" would be much better than "If it's installed, then how come it's still not working?"
English is my tertiary language.
Tony.B

Post by Tony.B »

hamtastesgood wrote:Why aren't there as many people on this forum as on Ubuntu forums? The people on this forum don't seem to be as knowledgeable.
The obvious answer to your question is that there are many more users of Ubuntu than there are of LinuxMint. When people decide to look further afield than Windows, I think that they are more likely to stumble across the Ubuntu operating system first. And when they run into trouble, their first instinct is to turn to Ubuntu's excellent forums for assistance.

It could also be true that perhaps people using LinuxMint have fewer problems, and therefore ask for forum help less frequently than Ubuntu users.

Maybe some people aren't as knowledgeable (and I realise that I fall into that category). Part of the attraction of LinuxMint is that it is more understandable than most of the other operating systems, so we have no need to be computer boffins in order to make it all work. But there are several very knowledgeable people around, and their help is freely available. But please bear in mind that some of them may well be too busy with other aspects of their private lives to give you their undivided attention immediately you throw your toys out of the pram.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

The OP is now banned from this forum permanently
He/she was already banned under another username and chose to evade that ban by registering a new username and continuing to behave in the way that got him/her banned originally
Thread locked

Return to “Beginner Questions”