KDE 4.6.4 is out - howto upgrade ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vaxxipooh

KDE 4.6.4 is out - howto upgrade ?

Post by vaxxipooh »

Heyas

i see that KDE 4.6.4 is out .. how can i painless upgrade to that from my KDE 4.6.2 ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cloggers

Re: KDE 4.6.4 is out - howto upgrade ?

Post by cloggers »

Afaik there is no painless update to KDE 4.6.4.
Upstream Kubuntu presents no KDE updates except for the latest
version of Kubuntu (11.04). Mint 10 on the contrary is based on
Maverick the previous version of (K)Ubuntu.
colyn

Post by colyn »

The packages have to be built before being made available for download.. This may take several weeks..
cloggers

Post by cloggers »

colyn wrote:The packages have to be built before being made available for download.. This may take several weeks..
There are no kde 4.6.3 packages either and they were released a month ago !!
vaxxipooh

Post by vaxxipooh »

cloggers wrote:
colyn wrote:The packages have to be built before being made available for download.. This may take several weeks..
Hmmm .. that was no good news ...
colyn

Post by colyn »

cloggers wrote:
I've noticed that too. As a result I have made PCLinuxOS my primary KDE machine. I just got 4.6.4 on it yesterday..
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

colyn wrote:As a result I have made PCLinuxOS my primary KDE machine. I just got 4.6.4 on it yesterday..
A new package not available immediately on the distro was the driving factor for the decision? It doesn't matter either way, but if you're one who needs the latest packages as soon as they release, a rolling distro is definitely for you. I don't think a static distro with a regular release cycle will ever be as quick to get packages, even backports, available to users as a rolling release will and PCLinuxOS is very quick to roll out upgraded DE packages.
vaxxipooh

Post by vaxxipooh »

TBABill wrote:A new package not available immediately on the distro was the driving factor for the decision? It doesn't matter either way, but if you're one who needs the latest packages as soon as they release, a rolling distro is definitely for you. I don't think a static distro with a regular release cycle will ever be as quick to get packages, even backports, available to users as a rolling release will and PCLinuxOS is very quick to roll out upgraded DE packages.
Hello

Yea i dont wanna change dist just for get the newest KDE 4.6.4 but i would be nice if Mint developers put it up .. mainly coz now in 4.6.4 Akonadi is fully implemented
dequire

Post by dequire »

vaxxipooh wrote:
TBABill wrote:A new package not available immediately on the distro was the driving factor for the decision? It doesn't matter either way, but if you're one who needs the latest packages as soon as they release, a rolling distro is definitely for you. I don't think a static distro with a regular release cycle will ever be as quick to get packages, even backports, available to users as a rolling release will and PCLinuxOS is very quick to roll out upgraded DE packages.
Hello

Yea i dont wanna change dist just for get the newest KDE 4.6.4 but i would be nice if Mint developers put it up .. mainly coz now in 4.6.4 Akonadi is fully implemented
The main issue is that Mint KDE 10 is based on Kubuntu 10.10, which does not have the latest KDE packages for it, either. When Mint KDE 11 comes out, you will have access to the latest KDE versions. At least until 11.10 comes out.
colyn

Post by colyn »

TBABill wrote:
colyn wrote:As a result I have made PCLinuxOS my primary KDE machine. I just got 4.6.4 on it yesterday..
TBABill wrote:A new package not available immediately on the distro was the driving factor for the decision?
I didn't switch to get the latest updates. I switched to get a more stable KDE desktop. I still have Mint 10 KDE on another machine and will install Mint 11 KDE once it is released but if I continue to have the video issues on some news sites I may dump Mint..
TBABill wrote: It doesn't matter either way, but if you're one who needs the latest packages as soon as they release, a rolling distro is definitely for you.
Texstar doesn't update once a new package is released. It first goes through testing before release. Case in point xorg 1.10.1 is full of bugs and is nvidea unfriendly. As a result Texstar opted for 1.9.0 instead which is stable. Ubuntu on the other hand chose 1.10.1

In some distros the latest packages aren't always better..
TBABill wrote: I don't think a static distro with a regular release cycle will ever be as quick to get packages, even backports, available to users as a rolling release will and PCLinuxOS is very quick to roll out upgraded DE packages.
KDE 4.6.4 is already out and Ubuntu/Mint as well as other Ubuntu flavors have yet to get 4.6.3. Many bugs fixed since 4.6.2 which the Ubuntu flavors are unable to benefit from. Can't blame Mint for that but Ubuntu seems to be taking a different road than the one they once followed which means slower package updating which affects Mint's ability to keep up..
cloggers

Post by cloggers »

Well there is the possibility to compile KDE 4.6.4 by hand.
I don't know how "painless" that is. Perhaps someone can shine
his light upon this.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

colyn wrote:
TBABill wrote:
TBABill wrote:A new package not available immediately on the distro was the driving factor for the decision?
I didn't switch to get the latest updates. I switched to get a more stable KDE desktop. I still have Mint 10 KDE on another machine and will install Mint 11 KDE once it is released but if I continue to have the video issues on some news sites I may dump Mint..
TBABill wrote: It doesn't matter either way, but if you're one who needs the latest packages as soon as they release, a rolling distro is definitely for you.
Texstar doesn't update once a new package is released. It first goes through testing before release. Case in point xorg 1.10.1 is full of bugs and is nvidea unfriendly. As a result Texstar opted for 1.9.0 instead which is stable. Ubuntu on the other hand chose 1.10.1

In some distros the latest packages aren't always better..
TBABill wrote: I don't think a static distro with a regular release cycle will ever be as quick to get packages, even backports, available to users as a rolling release will and PCLinuxOS is very quick to roll out upgraded DE packages.
KDE 4.6.4 is already out and Ubuntu/Mint as well as other Ubuntu flavors have yet to get 4.6.3. Many bugs fixed since 4.6.2 which the Ubuntu flavors are unable to benefit from. Can't blame Mint for that but Ubuntu seems to be taking a different road than the one they once followed which means slower package updating which affects Mint's ability to keep up..

no kubuntu got 4.6.3 when it was released http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-release-463 and if you want to check status of kde packaging go to https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Ninjas/Packaging
Last edited by cpatrick08 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

cloggers wrote:Well there is the possibility to compile KDE 4.6.4 by hand.
I don't know how "painless" that is. Perhaps someone can shine
his light upon this.
It's not.

Return to “Software & Applications”