Spotchat not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ckosloff

Spotchat not working

Post by ckosloff »

Spotchat not working, freenode is.
Please contact Spotchat, unable to reach help via IRC.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Spotchat not working

Post by ThistleWeb »

It occasionally has blips when it doesn't work. I'd suggest waiting a while and trying again.
ckosloff

Post by ckosloff »

Hi, Scotland, #linuxmint-help is on freenode now, end for spotchat?
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Possibly want to check your server list / channel list -- there are a number of sparsely populated #linuxmint channels on freenode of which a Polish language channel had 16 users online when I looked, and there is a #linuxmint channel but it should be pointed out that in its topic it points back to #linuxmint-help on spotchat as the official channel. Over the past two days (and more) I've been able to connect to spotchat without interruption.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Last week Spotchat has been down for a while, but it was back on after a few minutes.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ckosloff

Re: Spotchat not working [SOLVED]

Post by ckosloff »

It works now, with a few bumps and glitches.
Anyway, this is not really a support topic so I will mark it [SOLVED].
Just wanted to call the attention of the higher-ups, so a move to some other server might be considered in the future.
BlouBlou

Post by BlouBlou »

I'd suggest you moving to freenode, it doesn't fail too much and has a great support for open and free projects.
defcon

Post by defcon »

+1
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

At me Freenode always needs 15 seconds to connect while Spotchat is there immediately after opening Xchat. As long as we don't experience more problems, I'd suggest to keep using Spotchat.
ckosloff

Post by ckosloff »

I use both.
True that Mint customization for X chat makes it open at Spotchat by default, but that can be changed.
I never experienced a problem in freenode, it takes longer to identify registrants, but that is a good thing, too many useless trolls in #linuxmint-help.
crlsgms

Post by crlsgms »

I have the same issue here. using my cabled connection at home i cannot connect from any pc I have mint installed (3 till now), always have the same error:
* A procurar irc.spotchat.org
* A ligar a irc.spotchat.org (217.172.177.133) porto 6667...
* Ligado. A iniciar sessão...
* *** Looking up your hostname...
* *** Could not resolve your hostname: Domain name not found; using your IP address (217.172.177.133) instead.
* RROR :Closing link: (guerrilha@217.172.177.133) [Registration timeout]
* Desligou (Cliente remoto desligou).
and keeps trying. freenode and a bunch of other servers works like a charm
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Spotchat is currently online again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”