LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lmdeman

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 15 june 2011

Post by lmdeman »

oliv54 wrote:
hopimet wrote: - has someone tried the new 2.6.39 kernel with LMDE ? (I'm with the 2.3.38 and all is OK)
- does the xorg updates also cause compiz breakage with the new kernel (my GC is a Nvidia 7300)
I use an NVidia driver.
I update the kernel through Synaptic and had a surprise: the computer was unable to boot correctly in graphic mode (had a command-line login instead). :roll:
I fixed it by installing corresponding linux-headers-2.6.39 package. Everything works !
Non absolutely user-friendly for this time... Hope it helps someone
AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) the linux-headers-2.6.39-xxx package is not automatically installed upon updating because since version 2.6.39 the only 686 kernel flavour supported by Debian (http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/07/#lk-i386) is PAE which was not the default kernel for 32-bit LMDE (now it is). To ensure further updates you should install the meta-package linux-headers-2.6-686-pae. This should not affect 64-bit LMDE. Strange, there is no dummy transitional package as for the kernel image to automate this transition...
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Thanks lmdeman, that answered my question too :)
hopimet

Post by hopimet »

lmdeman wrote: To ensure further updates you should install the meta-package linux-headers-2.6-686-pae. This should not affect 64-bit LMDE. Strange, there is no dummy transitional package as for the kernel image to automate this transition...
I had to install the linux-headers-2.6-686-pae to obtain the compilation of the Nvidia driver with dkms. During the upgrade to the 2.3.39 kernel, I had a warning saying that dkms was unable to compile ndiswrapper and nvidia drivers because the linux-headers-2.6-686-pae was lacking.

During the installation af the linux-headers-2.6-686-pae, my driver was automatically re-compiled.
lmdeman

Post by lmdeman »

Exactly, the kernel image was updated to a new version and flavour, along with its own modules, but the kernel headers were not, causing problems to all dkms-managed external modules and also to manually updatable modules (like vmware tools which won't compile anyways on 2.6.39, but that's another tale...). Installing linux-headers-2.6-686-pae restores the modules compilation, providing that the original sources are still compilable with the new headers.
Since this problem might lead to a loss of functionality on some 32-bit LMDE boxes, I'd suggest to list it on the front post of this thread.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

Using Pentium M 1,73 Mhz and Intel i915GM graphic card. A five years old laptop.

I used previously the kernel 2.6.38.2.686 which ran very well. I tried to install this morning the proposed update by Synaptic to kernel 2.6.39.2 (and also some xorg and dbus updates) and its corresponding headers.I discovered it was a PAE kernel, suited for "modern" memory-hungry PC. When installed, it was a bit noisy sometimes but mainly it refused to wake up.

I deleted it and installed the kernel 2.6.39.2.486 said to be for leftover computers and its headers. :)
Still a bit noisy at times but at least it wakes up properly. I will monitor it in the next few days. Don't know yet if I will keep it.

I had been told that Synaptic updates can sometimes be a bit bumpy. They are. :)

Nota: even with Intel card, no Compiz breakage.
hopimet

Post by hopimet »

lmdeman wrote: Since this problem might lead to a loss of functionality on some 32-bit LMDE boxes
Not sure to understand. Could you explain ? Do you have some examples in mind ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
lmdeman

Post by lmdeman »

hopimet wrote:
lmdeman wrote: Since this problem might lead to a loss of functionality on some 32-bit LMDE boxes
Not sure to understand. Could you explain ? Do you have some examples in mind ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
My poor knowledge of English language doesn't help me much, anyways i'll try...
I meant the automatic installation of linux-image-2.6.39-2-686-pae (from 2.6.38-2-686) being made not contextual with the installation of linux-headers-2.6.39-2-686-pae, breaks for example your nvidia drivers and probably the ndiswrapper ones too (not sure actually) and all the third party kernel modules that must be recompiled either automatically (DKMS) or manually whenever the kernel version changes. After the updates you might have problems with your video card and/or your wifi adapters and all the stuff supported by third party drivers (vmware tools, virtualbox guest additions, to say some).
To have your system fully resume its working state, you have to manually install the package linux-headers-2.6-686-pae, through Synaptics or apt. This is not a big inconvenient if you know (or guess) by yourself what to do, though it's not so... minty!
Of course, this problem may not affect you if all your hardware is supported by the stock kernel modules or if you are running the amd64 kernel version.
In short, after the automatic kernel update it is highly advisable to manually install the new headers too because they are not automatically installed (as of Jun 22).
Hope this clarifies my thoughts.
hopimet

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 22 june 2011

Post by hopimet »

Thank you so much lmdeman.

Your answer is perfectly clear and your English language is better than mine.

I agree that the need to install manually the headers after updating the kernel is not very "minty" but we have to remember that LMDE is not Mint :wink:
monoton

Post by monoton »

Hi,

hope I'm right here to post this?

Todays update of libgtkpod1 from 2.0.1-1 to 2.0.2-0.0 removes gtkpod:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gtkpod : Depends: libgtkpod1 (= 2.0.1-1) but 2.0.2-0.0 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Will this be fixed?

Thanks and best regards
gazza

Post by gazza »

FireFox 5 ?? , yesterday on irc someone asked what the update for firefox was all about and why did it say '5'. We were perplexed as none of us had this popup in ff. Today I opened firefox and there was a popup stating that ff should be updated to ff5. I have no intentions of doing this, as I believe that any ff updates should be from the 'testing' repo, not manualy doing it via the ff browser. Any thoughts on this (and as far as I am aware ff5 does not exist yet)...
karashata

Post by karashata »

LMDE ships Firefox in the Mint repos since it's not shipped with official branding in Debian. I'm guessing the version of Firefox they ship is the one from the Mozilla website, which will receive updates directly from Mozilla rather than depending on the distributions to push updates into their repos.

Debian ships Iceweasel, which is basically Firefox with different branding instead of the official branding. There's some more info about it all here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Co ... an_project

Also, Firefox 5 was officially released a couple days ago, Mozilla recent changed their development process and versioning scheme so they're pushing major versions much faster now. There's some info that may or may not be useful or interesting here: http://mozilla.github.com/process-relea ... specifics/

And, a roadmap here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Roadmap

Hope that's all somewhat enlightening.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Please don't update manually to Firefox 5. We're working on this update at the moment and version 5 should come to you via the Mint repositories either today or this week-end.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

a few post back Clem made mention the ability to turn off fortunes (presumably from Mint 11) is now on LMDE via desktop settings. I don't see the option to turn off terminal?

Is this because I am using mint xfce debian?
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

aljoriz wrote:a few post back Clem made mention the ability to turn off fortunes (presumably from Mint 11) is now on LMDE via desktop settings. I don't see the option to turn off terminal?

Is this because I am using mint xfce debian?
Hello aljoriz
might be a stupid question but just in case I'll ask it anyhow.
Did you go to menu > prefrences > desktop settings > terminal to see if the option is there or not?
I know it says you went to desktop settings but just in case you didn't click on the terminal icon (I done things like this before)
If so then here is a tutorial that might help, it has some different options in the comments also that are useful and gives you choices rather then deleting what the tutorial says to delete (like comment it out instead, just in case , seems the safer router).
The tutorial can be found here
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/31
If this don't work then hopefully someone can help find a fix.
These are the two methods I have used in the past.
Sam

Ps: Thanks Clem I was waiting for the update on this.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

a picture says a thousand words:

The photo was taken on LMDE xfce 64-bit freshly re-installed and dist-upgraded as of July 24 23:36H Philippine Time.

I apologize for not being clear enough, I can't click on the terminal button as there isn't any button to click at all. Yes, I do know of the bash.rc guide; its just that clem said you can now disable it via desktop settings; now is that feature for ALL versions of LMDE or is it exclusive to gnome LMDE?

Thank you for your input though! :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

and the FF4 > FF5 issue is solved as Clem promised

Code: Select all

firefox:
  Installed: 4.0.1-1linuxmint1
  Candidate: 5.0-1linuxmint1
  Version table:
     5.0-1linuxmint1 0
        700 http://mirror.tuxis.nl/packages/ debian/import amd64 Packages
 *** 4.0.1-1linuxmint1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
updating now
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

wow that is abit different
Here's mine
fortune.jpg
Sorry couldn't help you out anymore. Hopefully someone can.

Thanks zero for the update
Going to update all the computers here to FF5

Sam
karashata

Post by karashata »

I suspect the option to disable the fortunes in the terminal hasn't been added to XFCE just yet, it only recently made it into GNOME.
samriggs wrote:wow that is abit different
That's because it's XFCE and yours is GNOME.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

I can confirm that FireFox5 is also available for xfce
christoff522

Post by christoff522 »

Intel drivers since the recent Xorg update are still really bad. extremely low fps on games, compiz is about the only thing that works with it. this is Mint Xfce and LMDE testing. Yet 1 week ago everything was rocketing.

Return to “LMDE Archive”