Replacing GIMP

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
mdawgmike

Re: Replacing GIMP

Post by mdawgmike »

Coming from extensively using Photoshop in Windows, I had absolutely no problem problem picking up GIMP and using it for every form of photo editing that I do. I actually prefer it over Photoshop now.

However, if I were to put myself in the shoes of the average computer user (who I understand to be a portion of Mint's target market), I think I would find it a bit overwhelming to do a simple drawing or image manipulation. I would think that a good measure would be to simply include both as part of the default install. This way there would be an image editor available that would work for anyone. After all it's what, like a whopping 5 MB of disk space?
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

donec wrote:To learn GIMP they have to unlearn the old way of doing things.
Not really, in my opinion. For me, it all boils down to having the proper mindset. They don't have to unlearn the old way, but rather apply what they already know using new/different methods/steps. So, as long as they already know the core principles of how something is done in Photoshop, for example, it's all a matter of translating the procedure/steps to their equivalent in the Gimp.

As they say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat."
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Foxy14Girl

Post by Foxy14Girl »

opticyclic wrote:Those are some very negative comments without much explanation.

However, what will probably happen is that you will eventually get used to the GIMP to do your simple tasks, purely because you don't really have much other choice!

purely because you don't really have much other choice

:shock: we don't ? OMG.... :? how is that ? we all have a choice. like the choice of....

Those are some very negative comments without much explanation.

it is just our choice to stay with GIMP. there is a "much explanation"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll: :roll: some people just have no idea what they are sayin :roll: :roll: :roll:
sahilshinesalways

Post by sahilshinesalways »

Gimp cannot be replaced....but a inclusion of lighter software is unnecessary....for small works like scaleing rotating image,nautilus scripts are available....so right click->choose option and u are done!

Instead of banging head for pinta/gimp just get worried about wine...
NFS RUN,RAGE and CoD Modern warfare 3 is gonna release...encourage them so that we can play them in linux as soon as posible

look my blog
http://sahil-tech.blogspot.com
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

For those whose problem with Gimp is the fact that it is in three windows instead of one; THIS POST at webupd8 tells how to add a script called GimpBox. It says
GIMPBox is a python script which wraps all the GIMP windows into one window. It does not modify GIMP and you use it by changing the GIMP shortcut to launch GIMPBox instead of GIMP. You can open multiple images at the time thanks to a tab bar that GIMPBox will display at the bottom of the window (the tabs include previews too).
This is said to work with Gimp 2.6.xx
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was checking out the forum when to my amazement I seen what scared the daylights out of me
Replacing Gimp
Then I read the first line and a few more comments (well as short as they were and for good reason) and breathed a sigh of relief :lol:

As was stated more then once twice thrice NO NO NO I never hardly demand anything (mainly because I am just happy all this stuff is free) but gimpers has to be one of those times.
There are manuals for gimpers, my sister is learning it right now through those manuals.
There are simplier paint and drawing programs in the software manager Categories > Graphics > Drawing check them out to your hearts content there is quite a few.
Gimpers must, has to stay. I am sure the majority of linux users know quite a bit about gimpers and use it.
Me I use it instead of photoshop for personal and professional purposes (I am an artist by trade) when I work in sign shops or other graphic houses photoshop sits there and I install gimpers with my trazillion brushes, patterns, scripts and plugins etc etc. To me it blows photoshop out of the water but thats my personal prefrence, just like I like using inkscape more than illustrator. Now if they can come up with a good substitude for flash in linux I'd be a happy man :D .
Tried F4linux it don't work.
dawgdoc they are docking the three windows in gimpers version 2.8 so they say :D can't wait until it comes out.
Just wish they start adding vectors into gimpers more (the ultimate program , gimpers and inkscape mixed as one with more gimpers control), but that would be hard to do I guess :(
For those that find gimpers overwhelming (I know it has a lot and can have tons added to it which is why IT IS GREAT) just use the basic install.
Learn the tools on the left side the knife looking thing is your cropper click one area drag let get then click inside boom you clipped or use the lasso, the paint brush well it paints, the airbrush well it airbrushes (knocks out those nasty wrinkles :wink: ) pencil draws, under image in the menu you have resizing, under color you have ways to tint and hue and saturate your images, then file > save as, BAM your done, theres a two second tutorial that can let most people that want a mspaint (crap) program and it will actually do more with what I just told you then what mspaint would do :lol:
Sorry but I can't help myself MSPAINT SHHHEEEESSSSHHHHH I'd rather use tuxpaint.

Anyhow my breathing returned back to normal now seeing it was just a suggestion.

Back to gimpers to finsh artwork for another theme.

Sam
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

dawgdoc wrote:For those whose problem with Gimp is the fact that it is in three windows instead of one; THIS POST at webupd8 tells how to add a script called GimpBox. It says
GIMPBox is a python script which wraps all the GIMP windows into one window. It does not modify GIMP and you use it by changing the GIMP shortcut to launch GIMPBox instead of GIMP. You can open multiple images at the time thanks to a tab bar that GIMPBox will display at the bottom of the window (the tabs include previews too).
This is said to work with Gimp 2.6.xx
Thank you very much.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

You are welcome Donec. That's a nice emoticon, mind if I copy it?
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

dawgdoc wrote:You are welcome Donec. That's a nice emoticon, mind if I copy it?
if you mean the one in my signature sure you can copy it.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Yes, that's the one I meant. Thank you.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”