USB 3G Mobile Broadband intermittently disppears on (re)boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
The Diamond Geezer

USB 3G Mobile Broadband intermittently disppears on (re)boot

Post by The Diamond Geezer »

Hello,

I installed LMDE about a week ago on a system along with Windows XP as a dual boot and I let GRUB manage the boot sequence. I recently upgraded the kernel to 2.6.39 PAE. Thanks to frequent updates with apt-get dist-upgrade and apt-get update, I understand that my system is fully up to date. My USB 3G Mobile Broadband is a Huawey E0182. I have set it in a way that it prompts me to enter the SIM PIN after initial device detection by the OS, after logging in.

Unfortunately, I am unable to determine a clear pattern, let alone reproduce it 100% of the time. I have followed many tips provided in this forum, including disabling kexec-tools, I have also upgraded usb-modeswitch, however the issue persists, in 2.6.39 PAE and 2.6.38 alike.

It does not matter if I switch the computer on with the dongle already inserted, or if I insert it once logged in LMDE, the issue will occur (or not) nonetheless.

It does not matter either if I boot in Windows XP first then reboot in LMDE, the issue will occur (or not). No obvious pattern here.

When the Mobile Broadband option is present in the network manager, the PIN prompt pops up within 60 seconds, which is a normal behaviour. It means that it has been successfully detected. After a reboot, I am never prompted to enter my PIN, because the device had not been disconnected from power source (USB drive). The same happens in Windows XP, so I assume this is also normal.

This disappearance of Mobile Broadband option can happen after a cold boot, in which case this option is completely absent in the network manager icon next to the clock. I know that the device is detected because I can see it listed in lsusb and that the blue 3G signal pickup flashes), however I am not prompted to enter the PIN.

It can also happen after a reboot. Same symptoms, the "Mobile Broadband" option is completely gone in the network manager icon next to the clock. I know that the device is detected because I can see it listed in lsusb and that the blue 3G signal pickup flashes).

Disconnecting the device and connecting it in the same socket while the system is on does not fix it. Disconnecting it and connecting it to a different socket does not fix it either. The only option left is to switch the computer off altogether and cut the power source for a couple of seconds, switching power back on and finally switch computer back on.

Oh and sleep or hibernate do not affect this behaviour. If the dongle was successfully detected, it will be there after waking from sleep or hibernate.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is the only thing that has been bugging me so far, I love LMDE :D

Many thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: USB 3G Mobile Broadband intermittently disppears on (re)

Post by vrkalak »

I totally understand your problem, as I almost always use a 3G USB-Modem with my PC, laptop and netbook.

I have many of the same problems, as you have stated, except only with my Mint-9 install.
Never had any connection problems, of any kind, with either LMDE or LMDX

To connect with Mint-9 and the USB-Modem, I must first connect using LMDE/LMDX, then reboot into Mint-9.
Doesn't matter if I use LMDE from the Live DVD or from the installed version. It connects.

I have, even, upgraded the Mint-9 kernel to version 2.6.39 to see if that helps ... doesn't make any difference.
Mint-9 doesn't even 'see' the 3G USB-Modem on it's own, until after I have booted into LMDE.
So, it must be something within the Mint-9 version itself.
The Diamond Geezer

Hey vrkalak,

Thanks a lot. Could it be due to network-manager? I ahve vesion 0.8.4 installed, which I believe is the latest in squeeze. My desktop is Gnome 2.3, I don't know what else to do..

Also, the device may be *sometimes* detected if disconnected and plugged into another USB port, so it works sometimes, it really depends, and I don't know what makes the difference, as Windows XP or Fedora 15 always detects the device as a 3G modem.

Thanks for your help!
The Diamond Geezer

Hey,

Has anybody elseencountered this issue? Have you been able to fix it? Your help is greatly appreciated :D
rsriniv

Post by rsriniv »

Check this post:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=73188

Could be the solution you'e looking for!

Also, I found that the dongle would only work if inserted after the login process was completed (i.e. would not work if left connected from boot start-up)

--Rajiv

Return to “LMDE Archive”